NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2021, 04:56 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Default Our own bst is an indicator.

The bst has much less "wtb" and there are a number of key cards available that aren't disappearing immediately. Curious if there is also a decline in new forum members this month compared to February. At a minimum, there's an apparent slowdown and more cautious approach by long time members that I am seeing.

Am I wrong? Are you all spending as much right now as compared to prior months this year?

I have all but stopped. Looking for a Summer home and sitting here watching inflation snuggle in and waiting for the housing market decline. Going to need that cash moneys!
Old 05-28-2021, 05:56 PM
Mike P.ap

Default 8K

I have spent about 10K this month so far......no slowdown.

Mike
Old 05-28-2021, 06:06 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
The bst has much less "wtb" and there are a number of key cards available that aren't disappearing immediately. Curious if there is also a decline in new forum members this month compared to February. At a minimum, there's an apparent slowdown and more cautious approach by long time members that I am seeing.

Am I wrong? Are you all spending as much right now as compared to prior months this year?

I have all but stopped. Looking for a Summer home and sitting here watching inflation snuggle in and waiting for the housing market decline. Going to need that cash moneys!
I’m not buying at all right now, but it’s purely because I’m out of money
Old 05-28-2021, 06:50 PM
Eric Perry

My spending is fairly constant. Think of a dollar-cost-averaging approach to collecting.

The deals I'm getting now are better than a few months ago.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-28-2021, 07:11 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
My spending is fairly constant. Think of a dollar-cost-averaging approach to collecting.

The deals I'm getting now are better than a few months ago.
I like the disciplined approach of budgeting hobby spend. I have a similar approach, but admit to going way off track the end of last year and up to April of this year. I spent $15k/month and built volume on cards I felt would do well longer term(May's, Gehrig, Ruth, Williams, etc). Primarily mid grade raw with strong presentation and some obscure issues. Included were a few thousand boxing cards. I've spent less than $1k this month.

Last edited by Tao_Moko; 05-28-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:57 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Seems to me that higher end stuff in BST has basically dried up. See the PSA 1s and 2s, but no one is selling high end stuff at a friends and family discount. I look particularly at the baseball memorabilia board and it’s been a while since I’ve seen something truly higher end. Lots of odds and ends.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Remember when you would see a Joe Jackson PSA 7 on BST. Those days are gone for now.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:26 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Been looking for the "right" Clemente RC in a 6 to finish off a graded EXMT set for more than a year now. Prices have been SO CRAZY that I have bought and flipped several lower end cards but the 6's and above still remain out of reach (for me anyway).

Need it go along with this (Leon says every post needs a card )

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 05-29-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:33 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Been looking for the "right" Clemente RC in a 6 to finish off a graded EXMT set for more than a year now. Prices have been SO CRAZY that I have bought and flipped several lower end cards but the 6's and above still remain out of reach (for me anyway).

That is a beauty! Love the centering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post

Clemente RC is like the Ozzie Smith RC. Almost all of them are off centered. Even when you find one that isn't 80/20-90/10, it is 60/40-65/35. When you find one close to 50/50 you are going to pay a crazy price.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:11 AM
Bill Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
A fellow victim, er, eBay seller PM'd me with an interesting hypothesis. He says his sales dropped off markedly when eBay reconfigured its trading card listings. I have noticed the same thing. It is especially bad with boxing cards. You used to be able to browse the Boxing Cards category, but now every search for boxing brings up every listing with "box" in the title. You can somewhat curtail this by doing "-box" in the search, but I think the confusion is making things harder to find and cutting down sales as a result.
Another issue causing a slow down on ebay was the ending of ebay bucks. They have had a couple of 5% bonus bucks so far, but with no bonus bucks for every purchase outside of the bonuses there is no real incentive to buy more.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:15 AM
Pete S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
My spending is fairly constant. Think of a dollar-cost-averaging approach to collecting. The deals I'm getting now are better than a few months ago.
I’m right there with you. I just keep plugging away. I’m not worried about timing the market. I’ll just steadily buy all the way down - grabbing every card that fits my fancy along the way. I have always been the ultimate long haul mindset guy.

Obviously if things crater in an unexpected way I’d be ready to pounce and quadruple down to scoop up deals, but I really don’t expect that to happen on HOF/Superstar upper mid-low high grade 50’s/60’s stuff, which is where I live. I’m a lower mid-grade pre-war guy but I just never see pre-war really falling off a cliff. As others have said… too much is buried in collections of those who properly adore it.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:01 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

When big price swings occur, I try to remember that if card prices plunge and the book value of my collection craters, I still have the cards to hold, admire and put under my pillow at night, if necessary; it hardly compares to holding Petcom stock, that old dog, during the dot.com crash of the 90's.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Meanwhile...I am having a stellar sales weekend on eBay, mostly with boxing cards.

The confusion has worked to my favor on one item. I found a rare premium that got shuffled around a bit and BINed it for ten bucks. Gotta love that.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-31-2021, 08:23 PM
Ray VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
A fellow victim, er, eBay seller PM'd me with an interesting hypothesis. He says his sales dropped off markedly when eBay reconfigured its trading card listings. I have noticed the same thing. It is especially bad with boxing cards. You used to be able to browse the Boxing Cards category, but now every search for boxing brings up every listing with "box" in the title. You can somewhat curtail this by doing "-box" in the search, but I think the confusion is making things harder to find and cutting down sales as a result.
Agree with these points, as a soccer card collector it's extra tough since most listings end up in the "not specified" category. Would add (and this might only be an issue for me), on the eBay app it no longer reminds me 15 minutes before the end of an auction. Just started about a week ago but I've already missed out on 10+ auctions that I would have bid on. I can't see where in the settings it would have changed. Time to go back to a sniper service I guess.