NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Default Best way to sell a 1912 World Series ticket stub??

Hello everybody, my name is Mike, and I am a newbie here at Net54.

I have a ticket stub from the 1912 World Series, and I wanted to get some suggestions on what the best way would be to try to sell it. The stub is from the fourth game of the 1912 World Series. It was between the New York Giants and Boston Red Sox, and it was the second game played at Polo Grounds. Jeff Tesreau pitched for the Giants, and Joe Wood pitched for the Red Sox. The ticket stub has been authenticated by Psa.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice,

Mike

Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Scott

Nice stub, damage yes, but great WS and desirable. try B/S/T here if you have a price in mind, or ebay w a reserve if u don't want it to go too low.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Chris

Early World Series ticket stubs get pretty good action on eBay.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Rawn Hill

Do it the easy way, send it to me.

Rawn
Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 AM

I've been thinking about listing it on eBay, but I can't decide if I should list it with a low starting bid (with reserve), high starting bid (with no reserve), or super high buy it now with the best offer option. My original plan was to list it with one of the major auction houses, so I took it with me to the Sun Times show in Chicago a couple months ago so I could some opinions on what it might be worth, and who I wanted to list it with. All of the auction houses wanted it, and they all offered me a full page ad in there upcoming catalog. A lot of them even offered to put it on the front cover of there catalog. Most of them offered to list it for 0% commission on my end. The problem is that nobody could really tell me what it might be worth, and I even got a bunch of opinions from some of the larger dealers that where at the show. Some of them said that was only worth a couple of hundred dollars, but then some other people said it might be worth as much as ten thousand dollars.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Scott

$10,000? wow. someone must have been nipping at the cooking sherry..haha.

Id try it on ebay, maybe w the reserve idea.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Jimmy

Default Best way to sell a 1912 World Series ticket stub??

you should not have a problem moving that on eBay, early Red Sox items do well or if you are from the Northeast you could bring it to a few of the larger shows - good luck Jimmy
Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsports33 View Post
you should not have a problem moving that on eBay, early Red Sox items do well or if you are from the Northeast you could bring it to a few of the larger shows - good luck Jimmy
I was going to list it with one of the big auction houses that is going to be displaying items at the White Plains show in New York this weekend., because I thought it would be a great way for it to get some exposure to local New York collectors, but when the time came to sign the papers, they tried to tell me that it was worth around $3,000 less then what the originally estimated it to be worth. I've never dealt with an auction houses, so I don't know if they where just trying to see if they could buy it from me out right, or what there plans where, but that's what made me decide to just try selling it on my own. If I can't get some decent money for it, I'll just keep it. When I look at the ticket, I like to think that Babe Ruth was only around 17 or 18 years old when this world series was played, and I don't think he was even a professional baseball player yet. Being that the world series was between New York and Boston can hurt either.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default speaking for myself

Speaking for myself it is very difficult to put a value on many of our sports items. Cards are the exception as many are commonly traded and there are comparison sales. A ticket like this is almost impossible to give a close value on. I would venture to guess most auction houses won't give you a very close valuation that they think it will bring in auction, as they don't know. I think they are wise for that decision. If I were you I would first of all list it on our own BST area with a price you are comfortable with and see what happens. That will cost you 0. Then if that doesn't pan out, you might try ebay with a reserve, again, very little cost associated with it. After you list those 2 places you might start to get more of an idea of it's value, if nothing else. Then you can decide what you want to do with it.

At the end of the day an auction house can get you a good audience but they can't guarantee a price, unless there is a reserve, and even then that is only a protective measure so you are not upset with too low of an outcome. Good luck with it.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Jimmy

Default Best way to sell a 1912 World Series ticket stub

I agree with Leon, try different ways on your own first and see what happens, because there is no guarantee with an auction house with an item like yours. The ticket is a very select item that only certain collectors look for, just take it to the show and get some ideas from other collectors or dealers on your own and don’t sell it or place it in auction just yet.

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 01-12-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Scott

Good luck with the ticket sir. and good idea to keep it if you don't get what you think is fair. Babe's first ML game was 1915? . Great history obviously w Snodgrass, Matty, Wood, etc. , and from the Second world championship of the Sox.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM

Wow, thanks for all the great advice everybody. I'm really glad that I decided to become a member here at Net54. It seems like this is a really great forum, with a bunch of really classy members. Unfortunately, I don't have very many Pre-war items yet, but I guess the ticket stub isn't a bad way to start.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Joe Hunter

Default 1912 WS Ticket Stub Polo Grounds

The 2003 edition of the Standard Catalog of Sports Memorabilia lists the 1912 ticket stub in a price range from $650-900.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Greg T.

You can't go wrong with the REA that is coming up in the spring
Old 04-03-2010, 10:17 AM

Hey guys, I took your advice and ended up listing the ticket stub on eBay. I decided to run it as a regular auction style listing with a reserve, but I have a quick question. I've already had a couple of people send me messages asking me what I set my reserve amount at. How should I reply to these types of messages?? How do you guys think the auction looks?? Is there anything that I should add or remove from the listing?? Thanks again for everybody's help!!

Here is a link to the listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Dan Bretta

I rarely list with a reserve, but when I do and someone asks what it is, I always reveal it to them.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Scott

The Auction looks pretty good. And yes, it probably is smart to reveal a reserve, if they ask, so they don't waste their time if its too high, or plan their top bid, knowing what they have to bid at the very least.

Good luck w the stub. Certainly a great item!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Excellent job on the listing. Definitely disclose the reserve, if they ask. There is no downside, and you may lose them as potential bidders if you were to skirt the issue. They would not be inquiring unless they were interested.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 PM

Well, the auction is scheduled to end on Sunday, and I'm starting to get a little worried. It's been 3-4 days since anyone has bid on it, and it is only up to $870.00

So far, it has 485 hits, 60 watchers, 34 bids, and 13 different bidders.
Anybody want to take a guess at what the final bid will end up being??

Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmync View Post
Well, the auction is scheduled to end on Sunday, and I'm starting to get a little worried. It's been 3-4 days since anyone has bid on it, and it is only up to $870.00

So far, it has 485 hits, 60 watchers, 34 bids, and 13 different bidders.
Anybody want to take a guess at what the final bid will end up being??

Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
How much do you think its really worth? It'll go for a few hundred more probably, as according to a friend who is an ebay regular, lots of bidding last day. Plus, with all those bids, and different bidders and watchers, Id be shocked if you don't get it to 1250.00 or so..my guess.