NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2016, 05:41 PM
David Kathman

Default 1971: Mastro gets his Plank

In the June 1971 The Trader Speaks (from which I just posted an article about Crawford Foxwell's convention), editor Dan Dischley auctioned off a T206 Plank with a minimum bid of $150. The following month in the July issue, he announced that Bill Mastro had won it for $320. Mastro was 18 years old at the time. I'm not sure how close he was to the set at that point, but the following year he bought a Wagner for a then-record $1500 to complete his set. (See the profile of him from the January 1973 TTS in this thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217776.)

Old 03-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Bill Mastro is a thief and an open sore on this hobby. I would rather pour Frank's red hot on an open cut than read a history lesson on him. Other than that, thanks for posting.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Luke Lyon

Seems a little excessive. I appreciate Dave posting these pages from old hobby publications.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:58 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Nothing against posting hobby history, maybe choose a different article. I know he posts a lot of historical articles, which is great, but cmon.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:22 AM
David Kathman

Jeez, I'm sorry that you're offended by this, Jason. I saw a T206 Plank auction from 1971 with a realized price, and thought it would be of interest. The fact that Mastro was the buyer is not really the main point, though it's kind of interesting because he was a major hobby figure at the time at such a young age. I've posted several other articles by or about Mastro from that period, and the comments have mainly been from people wondering how that kid with such a great collection, and an apparent passion for the cards, went so wrong later on. I think it's a legitimate thing to wonder about, but you don't have to read the articles if you don't want to.

Last edited by trdcrdkid; 03-03-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:31 AM
Scott Ti3k

Thanks for sharing, I for one am interested in all aspects in the history of our hobby even if it does involve someone like Mastro. Makes one wonder what ever became of this Plank card? Did he "clean" this one up and sell it for a massive profit later on down the line?

Great stuff as always and thanks for sharing!

Scott
Old 03-03-2016, 01:00 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
Thanks for sharing, I for one am interested in all aspects in the history of our hobby even if it does involve someone like Mastro. Makes one wonder what ever became of this Plank card? Did he "clean" this one up and sell it for a massive profit later on down the line?

Great stuff as always and thanks for sharing!

Scott
Agreed. I don't think anyone on this board would support what Mastro did, but this article is a part of the history of our hobby and is interesting and informative.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 03-03-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

1971: Mastro Gets His Plank

2015: Mastro Walks The Plank

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 03-03-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Brendan Mullen

hahahahahaha
Old 03-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Peter Spaeth

2017/18 Mastro auctions a Plank.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I miss publications like these. I know they'll never come this way again, but it was an interesting time. I kind of got in at the rear end of that era.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Maybe I see it from a different view. I have never known Mastro to be a good guy, or someone who helps others, or someone who just made a bad choice. He has always been a d-bag who is a self-centered, egotistical, asshole who enjoys his flock of followers. More reveling about his greatness makes me want to vomit. It reminds me of the people who would stand around this guys booth or follow him around he show back in the day validating his celebrity status.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:23 PM

DAVID KATHMAN---

I for one am very grateful to you for posting this baseball card history research document. It's fascinating to me.

For many years, Bill Mastro was one of our hobby's elite collectors, developing an encyclopedia knowledge of baseball cards. He turned auctioneer in 1995, and shared some of that encyclopedic knowledge in the many pages of his first-rate cutting edge technology auction catalogs. Yeah, we all know what eventually occurred. I in no way am minimizing what he did to our hobby. But honestly, to discredit everything he did is illogical, bordering on idiotic.

---DON'T YOU DARE STOP PRESENTING THESE TYPES OF CARD COLLECTING DOCUMENTS TO US, DAVID. YOU WILL NEVER PLEASE EVERYBODY. THERE'S MORE THAN A FEW OF US THAT LOVE THIS KIND OF STUFF. MANY WON'T SAY SO, BUT I WILL, AND DO SAY SO!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS, BRO! ---Brian Powell
Old 03-03-2016, 12:54 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Maybe I see it from a different view. I have never known Mastro to be a good guy, or someone who helps others, or someone who just made a bad choice. He has always been a d-bag who is a self-centered, egotistical, asshole who enjoys his flock of followers. More reveling about his greatness makes me want to vomit. It reminds me of the people who would stand around this guys booth or follow him around he show back in the day validating his celebrity status.
What on earth are you talking about? Who is "reveling about his greatness"??? I think everybody here recognizes that Mastro is a d-bag; I certainly do, but I'm also interested in how he got to where he is now, and to what extent he was always sleazy. (A considerable extent, I think, though his sleaziness really came to the forefront when the money involved in the hobby ballooned.) And as others have pointed out, Mastro was a significant figure in the hobby starting in the early 1970s, and if you're interested in the history of the hobby (as I am) it doesn't make sense to just ignore what he did back then, or refuse to discuss it just because he's a sleazy guy who's now in jail.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Hank Thomas

Thanks for the Post, I enjoyed it. Who cares if Mastro was involved, it's still interesting. He's done enough damage, trying to expunge his significant role in the hobby's history is only doing more, in my opinion. As to the transaction itself, it strikes me that $320 must have seemed like a steal to many collectors at the time, as $1,500 for a decent Wagner must have struck some also. Sure, it was 1971, but I was out of college and working then, and that wasn't a fortune or anything. If you were trying to complete the set at the time, both of those prices seem quite reasonable.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Hi, just curious, what year did you meet Mastro?

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 PM
Dan Bretta

$320 in 1971 adjusted for inflation is $1872 today. A steal.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:14 PM
Hank Thomas

Even adjusting for the minuscule amounts collectors were used to paying for cards back then, those sums paid by Mastro for the key cards to complete the set just don't seem like that much. Obviously, that's what he thought!
Old 03-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Even adjusting for the minuscule amounts collectors were used to paying for cards back then, those sums paid by Mastro for the key cards to complete the set just don't seem like that much. Obviously, that's what he thought!
Agreed. With what we know today none of us would hesitate in 1971 to plunk down $320 for a Plank, but I'm sure the vast majority of card collectors probably thought that was crazy.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Agreed. With what we know today none of us would hesitate in 1971 to plunk down $320 for a Plank, but I'm sure the vast majority of card collectors probably thought that was crazy.
Yes, crazy or at least not smart. But if you've spent years putting that set of 500+ together, and have developed some sense of just how difficult those last two are going to be, the opportunity to grab them at anything like those amounts would seem like a once in a lifetime opportunity. And obviously, the rapid acceleration in the prices for them thereafter means that many collectors did come to that awareness. It makes me wonder how many collectors were working on advanced T-206 collections at the time, or did that number just start to increase dramatically at about that time, thus creating the demand that drove the prices up astronomically?
Old 03-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
Jeez, I'm sorry that you're offended by this, Jason. I saw a T206 Plank auction from 1971 with a realized price, and thought it would be of interest. The fact that Mastro was the buyer is not really the main point, though it's kind of interesting because he was a major hobby figure at the time at such a young age. I've posted several other articles by or about Mastro from that period, and the comments have mainly been from people wondering how that kid with such a great collection, and an apparent passion for the cards, went so wrong later on. I think it's a legitimate thing to wonder about, but you don't have to read the articles if you don't want to.
+1. Regardless of his later misdeeds, these events regarding the early history of the hobby, even including Mastro's involvement, are truly fascinating! Keep 'em coming!

Best to all,

Larry
Old 03-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Alex

It's interesting that Plank was cheaper pre-internet when it would've been harder to find.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:53 PM

nice article, keep them coming.

Last edited by jsq; 03-06-2016 at 01:58 PM.