NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2010, 02:44 PM
David McDonald

Default Is there an official eBay/Paypal policy?

I know that this topic has been dealt with before but I couldn't figure out how too search for it. I won an eBay auction this morning and received an e-mail from the seller (portion appended below). He states: "If you do not want Insurance, you as Buyer assume all risk for safe delivery." My understanding is, if the card does not arrive or arrives damaged, that Paypal will reimburse me regardless of whether insurance is purchased or not. I propose to e-mail the seller as a "courtesy" but to state that I am not assuming any risk. My question to you is: Is there anything official in eBay or Paypal policy which is contravened by the seller's game? It's only a few bucks but it feels kinda slimy.

Congratulations on being the winning bidder in my just concluded eBay auction on the 1939-46 Exhibits Ted Williams PSA 5. Per the Terms of the auction, payment by PayPal only is due within three (3) days. Please forward your payment of either $228.00 ($225.00 + $3.00 = $228.00); or, $232.70 ($225.00 + $3.00 + $4.70 = $232.70) if you want Insurance (at straight USPS rates). If you do not want Insurance, you as Buyer assume all risk for safe delivery. The courtesy of a return email acknowledging the above is most appreciated. Thank you again for bidding in my auction.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Default ebay policy?

yes, there is a policy, but ebay does nothing about sellers that add insurance. i was told by ebay that "you the seller are responsible until the buyer receives the item". the seller has to "roll" the cost into the item for sale. how do i know what a $.99 auction will end at? i broke my crystal ball last month. yes they (ebay) have this policy, but they do NOTHING to sellers who are reported.

Last edited by lharri3600; 01-24-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Darren DeBruhl

I am 99% sure that there is a policy that sellers cannot include shipping prices and if you do not buy insurance then you can make an item not as described claim. You should be covered either way.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:28 PM
MikeHealer

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it may help.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...rotection.html
Old 01-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Dave

It's a policy I hate even though it's rarely if ever affected me in the past, but yes, the seller is in violation.

He is supposed to roll it into his shipping and handling price.

..........and yes, a crystal ball can be purchased here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Clear-Crystal-Ga...item23028fc66f
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM

Default another unfriendly action towards sellers

why should a seller add the projected amount of insurance to the shipping price??Then buyers think they are being ripped off for the shipping cost......Also, why should it be the seller's responsibility to absorb the cost of insurance as ebay claims they should....as explained to me by an ebay representative (and I quote). "We need to make ebay a pleasant experience for the buyer;don't you want theat when you go purchase something?" YES I DO BUT NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE SELLER.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Clayton

I don't get this.How can you be responsible for the delivery when the seller is the one doing the shipping??IMO it is the seller's responsibility to get it to you safe and secure,just as it is your responsibility to pay the winning bid within the sellers time frame.
You can't guarantee how well this seller will package it,if he/she will put your correct adress,etc........
I think you are covered by Paypal anyways,I would just pay the shipping-just my opinion..................
Old 01-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Default *

Just too add on here. The seller is not covered by paypal
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I will tell you this...if you do not opt for insurance and the package is lost, it is still the seller's responsibility and paypal will side with you 99% of the time. No other business is run this way, they always include insurance into the price of shipping or the price of doing business. I would just pay the small amount and be done with it.

Joshua
Old 01-26-2010, 07:38 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Ebay does not permit sellers to charge for insurance separately. It is to be included in the shipping and handling chares.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...practices.html

Quote:
What you're not allowed to charge

Insurance: You can't charge a separate fee for insurance, although you still need to make sure your item arrives as described.

Tip: You should incorporate any insurance fees into an item's price or handling cost.
So to the OP, what the seller is doing is directly in violation of ebay's policy.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Scott Mt. Joy

Hey David, I just went thru this same thing on $900 of cards, big pain.

Insurance protects the seller only, it's their job to get the item to you safely. If that item does not arrive they have to pay, if it arrives damaged they are also responsible.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
David McDonald

Thanks to everyone who replied and pm'ed me and especially timzcardz who provided the pertinent eBay reference I sought. I forewent the "courtesy" reply the seller wanted and Paypaled him for the card and three bucks shipping. If it gets here OK then no problem; if not I will now be able to cite chapter and verse as to his obligation to deliver.

Last edited by Kawika; 01-26-2010 at 03:19 PM.