NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-25-2005, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Default SABR - membership = $60./yr.

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Do you belong? Why?

Do you not belong? Why?

Old 01-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Simply put - for serious Baseball fans/reseachers -- it is the best deal out there. And although I don't use the proquest feature -- it means you can do research from your home now instead of going out to local libraries.

SABR is more than the Stat heads -- it is very wide and emcompassing for all baseball

Besides, I've met a lot of similar sabr fans at the local meetings.

Note my sign in name

Rich

Old 01-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Old 01-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: three25hits

I belong to SABR. Best place to research and network.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I've been a member since the mid-80s. Bill James' books are what got me to join. You are not required to do any research, but it expected that if a member asks you for assistance in checking something out in your local area, that you lend hand.

Some people may think $60 is steep, but it worth it just the books you get each year, and Deadball Star of the AL is on the publish list for 2006, so if you want to ensure you get a copy, being a member is the best way to do it. The SABR-l list and the carious committee e-lists are all great and most local chapters also have their own e-list. It doesn't matter what your interest is in baseball, it is covered by SABR.

The local chapter meetings are always great and usually center around some baseball related activity. I remember one meeting of the Lefty O'Doul chapter (San Fran) we got to tour PacBell Park shortly before contrustion was completed.

I'm on probably the tighest budget of anyone on this board, but I always make sure to pay my dues for SABR. 20 years of SABR publications has 2 shelves in bookcase filled

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I joined SABR about ten years ago. In addition to the research materials that I have used, the free books and publications are excellent reading. Not to mention great discounts on great baseball books. It is well worth the money.

-Joshua

Old 01-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

SABR member for 5 years now. I think most people are afraid to join because they think they have to be interested in statistics. That is probably what kept me from joining much earlier, but when I met some SABR members on usenet I found out that statistics are just a part of SABR. The yearly dues are worth it in just the books that you get each year.

Jay, I thought I read somewhere that the Deadball stars of the AL was due out in 2005. This is the one I have been waiting patiently for. The NL book is fantastic and rates in my top 5 baseball books of all time.

Dan

Old 01-26-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Are the really early SABR publications worth anything?

I know a guy who has an old book store with a lot of them in there.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Administrator

If you can find some publications from the 1970's those are very hard to come by. The National pastime, and the Research Journals from the 80-90's are fairly easy to find on ebay. If you can pick those up for a couple of bucks a piece they are well worth the reading.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Do they still give a discounted rate for students? I am still in a Doctorate level program for 4 more months (law) and would like to join if they still do that. Anyone know?

Rhys

Old 01-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

They give discounts for anyone under 30 or over 64. I couldn't find anything for students at sabr.org.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

Best bargain around. They'll even do three years for a discount of $165.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

What is their website?

Old 01-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

The SABR website is http://www.sabr.org

The Proquest feature is worth the membership alone. It gives you the ability to search 5 major newspapers back through vintage tobacco card times.

Max

Old 01-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Dan, I am pretty sure the Deadball Stars of the AL book is on the 2006 publication list. If you are a member in 2005 you are gaurenteed to get a copy of the book. The thing to remember is that publication list one year behind the calendar year. This means that a publication that is on the 2006 list would be part of the 2005 membership. So would definately be worth getting a membership this year to make sure you get that book. And remember, the book is part of your membership. It doesn't cost extra.

Someone mentioned they have access to older SABR pubs, if you don't buy them, let me know what they have and how much. I am especially interested in finding early editions of Bill James Baseball Abstract (not a true SABR pub, but still related).

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Administrator

SABR still had student discounts and if still true, the bargain of a membership is even better

Rich

P.S. -- Use my name as how you found out about SABR if you do join

Old 01-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Administrator

I joined SABR and attempted to contact two committees via SABR email addresses...no response. Is their some sort of "SABR protocol" that has to be used? If so, and I'm missing it...

Please let the Negro League committee, Women's baseball committee, and Japansese baseball committee know that I'm okay and it's fine to respond to my emails. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Scott,

Usually there are heads to the various committees and at SABR.Org there is a link to their email. If you continue to get no response, let me know and I'll figure out a way to make sure they do recieve and respond to your messages.

Please feel free to email me at rklein@beckett.com and we'll work on getting you through to the proper people.

In addition, you can always get help through SABR-L which is a list serve of messages between SABR members and is moderated and there are many calls for research help such as yours on that.

In fact, today -- there was a post for people wanting to talk to ex major leaguers who served in the military during the vietnam era. The list was interesting but I don't think they did enough reseach as somehow I don't think Thurman Munson will be able to help them in their research.

However, I know you do better research than that,... so getting you help is not going to be that hard

Rich

Old 01-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Administrator

I hadn't discovered SABR-L yet.

I just got off the phone with a SABR member who actually has a photo of the obscure Japanese baseball team I am researching - he is doing the same exact research, but from the photo end. So we have a match! SABR has already paid off for me - anything else will be gravy.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Was a member once long ago. Great publications but very much a world for stat heads..Sixty bucks is high but after all we collect cards and that is an expensive hobby..

Old 01-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Administrator

I am not a stathead and have enjoyed my five years in SABR. Only a small percentage of the SABR publications deal with statistics. If you are researching biographical or team information you will find no better source than the members of SABR. Period.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator

It's been fun dealing with the absolute experts in various areas of baseball history - makes it even more exciting when I discover something no one else knows yet. I can't wait to publish these articles.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

I have found the forums, but no one seems to be reading them, and I've contacted a few people through email. If there is another way of posting messages for research requests, I would love to use it. Thanks

Old 01-31-2005, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HW

I absolutely enjoy their publications - certainly not your run of the mill baseball articles.