NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Michael

Default interesting Cobb Ruth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BABE-RUTH-T...sAAOSwOt9andGS
I am skeptical

Last edited by theshleps; 03-06-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Ben North

I love SGC for grading cards, feel the exact opposite about their autograph side.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 PM
Mike Navarro

That item has sold previously I THINK (if my memory serves me correctly) through both rrauction.com and ha.com (Heritage)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Mike Navarro

$4145.40 through rrauction with a full PSA/DNA Loa

https://www.rrauction.com/PastAuctionItem/3368597

And $4,800 through Heritage

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515
Old 03-07-2018, 01:19 AM
Bob Davies

I'm no expert, but both seem rather "cringe worthy".
Old 03-07-2018, 06:54 AM
Brendan Mullen

The Ruth is good actually. Just a super-duper rushed version that (even though it's dark) probably wasn't signed while sitting down, nor on a flat surface, nor in the best conditions, etc. But it's good. I know nothing about Cobb though...
Old 03-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Kevin

Cobb is ok as well, it’s not a pretty example by any stretch of the imagination, but the signatures are both Genuine
Old 03-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Paul

Neat item. Here's more info on the event:

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2014/06...challenge.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blog-babe-ruth-ty-cobb.jpg (29.4 KB, 310 views)

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 AM
Jon Canfield

I wonder why there is no mention of the PSA letter. The HA auction lists both the PSA and SGC letters, and the original RR lists the PSA letter. Did Probstein just not mention it?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Brendan and Kevin are quite correct. Both signatures are good.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Mike Navarro

I tried to buy it both times before but unfortunately deeper pockets prevailed.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Michael

Mike interested you said that. As a more general question in response to that there seems to be alot of turnover in this hobby where us collectors get outbid and then a year or two later the item comes up again. Any opinion why this happens. Options I see are
1) person is a dealer not a collector and sees an opportunity to flip an item, when an item I get outbid on immediately comes up for resale it really bothers me whether it should or not
2) person is fed up with the hobby and liquidating
3) person sees another item they want more and has to sell to raise the $
Me personally I hate to trade or sell anything even if I am offered "a deal I can't refuse". I am at times forced to buy a large lot to get one or two items I want and then do my best selling the rest but I try to avoid that situation. Also because the size of my collection is just too large at times I have narrowed the focus of the collection and let go of items that haven't fit the new parameters.
Would love others input.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Mike Navarro

I think it's primarily because of addiction and compulsion. Many people, and a self indictment here on occasion as well, like the "action" and "chase" just as much if not more than the actual item. Then, if you don't have deep pockets, an easy way to get that "fix" is to sell and "chase" something else.

Kinda like dating in that there is a lot of fun in the chase but once you get the "prize" it kind of gets old lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Mike interested you said that. As a more general question in response to that there seems to be alot of turnover in this hobby where us collectors get outbid and then a year or two later the item comes up again. Any opinion why this happens. Options I see are
1) person is a dealer not a collector and sees an opportunity to flip an item, when an item I get outbid on immediately comes up for resale it really bothers me whether it should or not
Me personally I hate to trade or sell anything even if I am offered "a deal I can't refuse". I am at times forced to buy a large lot to get one or two items I want and then do my best selling the rest but I try to avoid that situation. Also because the size of my collection is just too large at times I have narrowed the focus of the collection and let go of items that haven't fit the new parameters.
Would love others input.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Good education from the Cobb/Ruth autograph experts. I would never have touched this piece.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 PM
Steve Zarelli

Agree with Mike...

More and more collectors are "renters." The "buy and hold" collectors are going the way of the Dodo... just like "completist" collectors.

You may not see it here because this tends to be a more seasoned collecting crowd. But it's very evident in Facebook groups and some other chat boards.

Shoot the works to get a nice shiny toy... show it off on a chat group... get the "ohhs and ahhhs and kudos"... sell it the next year to get another shiny new toy. Rinse and repeat...
Old 03-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

It makes sense that people would treat their purchases that way on Facebook, as it would be similar to how their 'bits of wisdom' are proudly displayed. Personally, I think our collectible pieces, as well as our 'bits of wisdom' are far superior to what you find on the rest of the internet.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Agree with Mike...

More and more collectors are "renters." The "buy and hold" collectors are going the way of the Dodo... just like "completist" collectors.

You may not see it here because this tends to be a more seasoned collecting crowd. But it's very evident in Facebook groups and some other chat boards.

Shoot the works to get a nice shiny toy... show it off on a chat group... get the "ohhs and ahhhs and kudos"... sell it the next year to get another shiny new toy. Rinse and repeat...
Wow- that mindset is so foreign to me it is hard to relate but I do not doubt that it may happen frequently. I do have problems though with folks that outbid me and the next week I see it on ebay as a BIN at twice the price
Old 03-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Paul

Quote:
Wow- that mindset is so foreign to me it is hard to relate but I do not doubt that it may happen frequently. I do have problems though with folks that outbid me and the next week I see it on ebay as a BIN at twice the price
That drives me nuts, too. Everyone is entitled to a profit, but it’s like trying to buy concert tickets only to be shut out and then having to pay twice as much on Stubhub from people who never intended to go to the concert anyway. But flipping is big business.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 03-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Michael I.

Default why collectors differ in approach

Quote:
Would love others input.
I am like you and Scott, I know what I collect and buy maybe 1 expensive item a year and a few more middle of the line or cheap items I also hate to sell anything. I will admit I do love the research and "chase" part of the hobby, always looking for the bigger and better item for a cheaper price...haha. I have tried to always include my wife and kids in the hobby and collecting as I hope I can pass these items to them for further safe keeping.
The ruth check I bought a few years ago I researched and saw it in like 5 or 6 different action houses that I could find over the few years before I bought it, so I agree maybe some buy enjoy for a while then move on. Me I have always bought displayed for a while then tucked away in a safe deposit box and slept well knowing they were there and visit collection every now and then.

SCOTT: You will be happy to know your Cobb letter is still safe and sound in my "Man Cave" under low lighting at all times!!!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
SCOTT: You will be happy to know your Cobb letter is still safe and sound in my "Man Cave" under low lighting at all times!!!
That is a great letter - if I had it now it would not be sold.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Kevin

I’m of the buy and keep mindset MOST of the time. As my means aren’t unlimited, and I have a wide collection focus, it always keeps me hunting. Now as for the buy and flip, I have absolutely sold items off to either upgrade or finance another bigger or better piece. For example, I sold a Ruth Cut, Jordan Jersey, Mantle HOF inscribed ball and a Cy Young auto to upgrade to a Babe Ruth single signed baseball. There would be no other way for me to do that otherwise.

I also have several pieces that I will never sell that will stay with me forever.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:52 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Good education from the Cobb/Ruth autograph experts. I would never have touched this piece.
+1
Old 03-09-2018, 05:19 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
That is a great letter - if I had it now it would not be sold.
Funny...I bought a Cobb letter from Scott a few years back...how many of those are you going to let run through your fingers?

Btw, I still thank you and I still love it!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 03-09-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Funny...I bought a Cobb letter from Scott a few years back...how many of those are you going to let run through your fingers?

They were both nice but I think yours is actually the one I was thinking of.

I have owned so many great hand-written letters, but could only afford to keep a few at a time. I am getting ready to put a bunch of non-baseball ones on my website that are some of my favorites: Leroy Neiman to Hugh Hefner, talking about Paris in 1961, two Civil War letters from soldiers at Vicksburg, one from a California goldminer. Handwritren letters are my main collecting passion.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Michael I.

Default my Cobb letter from 1917

Here is the one you always liked Scott. 1917
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (68.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg co.jpg (70.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:59 PM
Michael I.

Quote:

Care to post a picture of your letter?
Old 03-10-2018, 04:54 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Care to post a picture of your letter?
I’ve since framed it, but here you go....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9FC46530-7592-4096-8D17-110E4BC4C342.jpg (14.5 KB, 129 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 03-10-2018, 05:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Here is the one you always liked Scott. 1917
I never owned that one.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I’ve since framed it, but here you go....
Yes, that was the one I was thinking of that I would probably keep if I had it now. But that's true of many, many collectibles I have had - you sell one to buy another.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
$4145.40 through rrauction with a full PSA/DNA Loa

https://www.rrauction.com/PastAuctionItem/3368597

And $4,800 through Heritage

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1...ription-071515
and now, $4,938 via ebay so the seller lost a little after fees.