NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default This Is A Tragedy

I'm a Yankee fan but Francona is a good manager and a class act. Shame on the Red Sox.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19012052
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Dave

That's ridiculous, though I get the sense Tito wanted out anyways.

Sox always seem to be looking for a scapegoat, whether it's Buckner, Grady Little, Carl Crawford, Francona or Babe Ruth cursing them. You'd think a couple World Series titles would have changed that mentality.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM
T0dd M@rcum

He'll probably get stuck with a massive pay raise in a more livable city with more rational fans.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Scott

Awful move by the Red Sox. OF course, they always "fire the manager" when things fall apart.

I did just hear from a clip of Curt Schilling, who said there were "camaraderie issues" according to Francona. Course, that's only part of it.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Pete Sycks

It had nothing to do with Crawford hitting .240 or Lackey's almost 7.00 era. It was all coaching. What a joke. 2 titles in 8 years and now you're yesterday's trash cuz your team fell a part.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Barry Sloate

Shouldn't topics like these be posted in the watercooler section? We have a forum for sports talk that is hardly ever used.

Last edited by barrysloate; 09-30-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
He'll probably get stuck with a massive pay raise in a more livable city with more rational fans.
Doubtful, despite the turmoil Mattingly did a good job, and Scoscia's job is safe forever.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Shouldn't topics like these be posted in the watercooler section? We have a forum for sports talk that is hardly ever used.
This is exactly what that section was made for.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Barry-you are such an old lady
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Barry Sloate

If more posters put threads like this in the watercooler section, it would increase the traffic over there. I like the lounge and sports section, wish there was more going on. Maybe some posters don't even know we have it.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Barry Sloate

Jay- I anticipated that would be your response. Hey, you can't always be popular.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
If more posters put threads like this in the watercooler section, it would increase the traffic over there. I like the lounge and sports section, wish there was more going on. Maybe some posters don't even know we have it.
Hi Barry - hope you are doing well. Since I don't post much, I hesitate to give my opinion, but maybe that fact might give some insight. The guys who use these forums are basically interested in vintage cards, so when a topic like this comes up, it's by vintage card guys, wanting to discuss with other vintage card guys, thus an automatic appropriate audience.

Having said that, other forums avoid this sort of thing by having a button for seeing 'all active topics' in ALL sub-forums. Maybe something like that would help you with your forum thread organization concerns.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Barry Sloate

Hi Scott- I'm fine thank you. I actually spoke with Leon yesterday about this and truth is he disagreed with me a bit. My point was he and the other moderators went to the trouble to expand the board, and add more areas for various discussions. So why not use them? This is hardly worth a major discussion, just a passing thought. If I wanted to post about Terry Francona that's where I would have put it. No big deal. Carry on.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

My thoughts, when sub-categorizing the whole forum, was to try to keep like topics together. That way if someone is not interested in something they don't have to wade through it. That being said there are so many features in this forum that I am not sure many more are needed. If everyone will try to think about starting threads in the correct places, before they start them, it will help. If it gets out of hand, I, or another moderator can move them. I realize it's a pipe dream thinking people will think before they start threads. This just isn't a big deal on the BIG-DEAL scale. Happy collecting!!

Barry- great minds think alike...and you are always popular with me!!

Last edited by Leon; 09-30-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Scott

Well. ON TOPIC. WEEI is now saying that everyone left w "No comment" and Francona may NOT be officially done. Now, some OFFICIAL Word may come in next couple days.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This just isn't a big deal on the BIG-DEAL scale.
I have been making the mistake of going to the link that only gives me the two vintage forums (cards and memorabilia); thus, I have been missing everything in the other sub-forums. That's why I mentioned a 'active topics' button that looks for active topics in all sub-forums. I would use it to see new stuff posted in unrelated forums, without having to check out each one. Just a thought.

Now, regarding that BIG-DEAL scale. Could I see a picture? Because everyone knows a word is worth only one-thousandth of a picture, so you've only given us 10/1,000 of the information.

Scott <=== kind of a big deal in his own mind
Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Barry Sloate

Don't you have a link at the top which reads "Postwar Cards & Watercooler Talk?" That's the one.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Don't you have a link at the top which reads "Postwar Cards & Watercooler Talk?" That's the one.
Thanks, Barry. I confess to being blind - my manager had to send the same presentation back to me twice this morning for typos.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Barry Sloate

No problem. I really like those forums. We've had good discussions about music and films in the lounge, and good sports talk in the all sports section. I wish it had more activity.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I'm a Yankee fan but Francona is a good manager and a class act. Shame on the Red Sox.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19012052
I just don't know about Tito. I watched him closely when he managed the Phillies, where he was absolutely unimpressive. Just seemed to be one of the boys with the vets on the squad. That relationship with Schilling seemed to land him in Beantown, and now it seems like relationships with players are shoving him out the door.

Whatever happens happens, but it's far from a tragedy (even by sports standards).

my eBay auctions
Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Craig

Well whether this topic is in the proper section or not a manager losing his job is hardly a "tragedy".
People who think it is should talk to Andrew and his daughter to get some perspective.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
I find my town quite livable (wtf that means) and every member of my family and coworker wants Tito to stay put. Some fans are over the top, everywhere. Now please, get your head out yer butt.

Ps, til the Bs hit the ice, i am permitted to be cranky

Have a nice day, Steve
Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Christopher Williams

A Tragedy? Are you serious? I'm a Yankee fan and have much respect for what Francona did for the Red Sox but please, "A tragedy?"

A tragedy is a hard-working man losing job and maybe eventually losing his home. Francona is a millionaire.

A tragedy is the abusing of children, men and women all over the world. A tragedy is the abuse of thousands of poor defenseless animals on a daily basis.

Francona is a millionaire who is able to pay his heating bill every winter.

A tragedy? Show me.

And he'll find another job paying him millions per year.

Poor Terry.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 09-30-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Boston is a very liveable city,,, great restaurants, surrounded by history, theatre, museums,,,
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Rob G.

when the OP said tragedy, i think he means IN PERSPECTIVE of sports. I don't think he is comparing it to real life tragedies.

as much as i hate the red sox, boston is a nice town (though i'd never want to live in it, as its way too busy for me). its certainly no worse than NY -well, except for the fans lol
Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
when the OP said tragedy, i think he means IN PERSPECTIVE of sports. I don't think he is comparing it to real life tragedies.

as much as i hate the red sox, boston is a nice town (though i'd never want to live in it, as its way too busy for me). its certainly no worse than NY -well, except for the fans lol
Shannon Stone's death from falling from the upper deck at a Texas Rangers game this summer is a tragedy.

Terry Francona losing his job with the Red Sox is not a tragedy. There is no "Perspective of sports" using the word "tragedy" when a manager, who has already earned millions of dollars, loses his job.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Guys, it's baseball. It's a game. I don't think Jay was suggesting that Francona losing his job was a tragedy on the level of someone dying. It's a baseball tragedy. And he's right, it is. Unreal that Francona took the fall for that joke of a team.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
P.hil €lli$

First of all, there has been no official word yet that he is gone. My feeling is that he probably will be gone, but they met today with no news coming out of that meeting.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
I just don't know about Tito. I watched him closely when he managed the Phillies, where he was absolutely unimpressive. Just seemed to be one of the boys with the vets on the squad. That relationship with Schilling seemed to land him in Beantown, and now it seems like relationships with players are shoving him out the door.

Whatever happens happens, but it's far from a tragedy (even by sports standards).
Yeah, those manager/player relationships are kind of important. It's part of winning games, especially when you come to the pressures and fatigue of September. When a team has the hugest September collapse in history, you have to consider the guy who's running things on the field....where the games were lost.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Reports out of Minneapolis that the Red Sox are interested in talking to Ron Gardenhire about the job. As a Twins fan who watched Gardenhire become the worst enabler in MLB, I'd swap Gardy for Francona in a heartbeat although I think Francona will ultimately end up in Chicago with the Sox.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 PM
qu@n nguy3n

his managing contributed to the collapse...someone's gotta take the fall. i'm on the side of baseball managing is the most overrated when it comes to influencing the success of a team.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Kenny Cole

What contributed to the collapse more than the managing was the piss-poor play of pretty much the entire team (except Jacoby Ellsbury) during the entire month of September. The manager doesn't hit, pitch or field. Of course, management can't really fire a player, so the head that rolls is that of someone else. That's the way it is. Theo Epstein made pretty much all of the player decisions, so is he all of a sudden a bad GM too?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
What contributed to the collapse more than the managing was the piss-poor play of pretty much the entire team (except Jacoby Ellsbury) during the entire month of September. The manager doesn't hit, pitch or field. Of course, management can't really fire a player, so the head that rolls is that of someone else. That's the way it is. Theo Epstein made pretty much all of the player decisions, so is he all of a sudden a bad GM too?
I hear this argument a lot, and I don't get it. In your opinion, what is a manager's responsibility, if not to make the right decisions about who is on the field at any given time, and to get the most out of them that he can? Aren't these things a huge part of winning?

I'm not jumping on the 90% of baseball who disagree with me - obviously they are right, I just haven't heard them build a good case that I can agree with.

Haven't any of you had a coach or manager that inspired you to do your best? who showed you that a team was more (or less - see Yankees) than the sum of its parts?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I hear this argument a lot, and I don't get it. In your opinion, what is a manager's responsibility, if not to make the right decisions about who is on the field at any given time, and to get the most out of them that he can? Aren't these things a huge part of winning?

I'm not jumping on the 90% of baseball who disagree with me - obviously they are right, I just haven't heard them build a good case that I can agree with.

Haven't any of you had a coach or manager that inspired you to do your best? who showed you that a team was more (or less - see Yankees) than the sum of its parts?
Francona won two World Series with a lot of these guys -- for a franchise that hadn't won in 90 years. A lot of injuries and crappy pitching were not his fault. For a guy who won two championships for this franchise he should have been largely immune from criticism.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
+1 And win another title or two!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Kenny Cole

Scott.

I agree that a manager's responsibilty is to field the best team and, more importantly, to win. Francona did that for most of the season. Then he didn't. Did he suddenly become a poor manager and make bad decisions at the end of the season? My guess is that he remained pretty well the same and that some (nearly all) of his players tanked at the end of the season.

I would be real interested in your input about what he should have done to reverse a 7-20 September, what decisions he should have made and didn't, and who should have been in the lineup (in order to win) who wasn't. Let me know when you have that all figured out. Then we can talk.

Kenny
Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott.

I agree that a manager's responsibilty is to field the best team and, more importantly, to win. Francona did that for most of the season. Then he didn't. Did he suddenly become a poor manager and make bad decisions at the end of the season? My guess is that he remained pretty well the same and that some (nearly all) of his players tanked at the end of the season.

I would be real interested in your input about what he should have done to reverse a 7-20 September, what decisions he should have made and didn't, and who should have been in the lineup (in order to win) who wasn't. Let me know when you have that all figured out. Then we can talk.

Kenny
Kenny - we don't really need to talk further on this. If you think a manager's responsibilities end on September 5, that's your right.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Kenny Cole

Scott,

Wow, this is like the old days. Did Francona's responsibilities end on 9/5? Obviously no. Did he become a much worse manager on that date? I think the answer to that question is evident as well. Did his players falter after 9/5? I defy you to say no.

There is no question that a manager (or pitching coatch) can impact the result of a game. But can you seriously argue that Francona somehow became a worse manager than he was in the years when he was winning the series? Did he make worse decisons with better players? If you believe that to be the case, please explain because I'm not seeing it.

Kenny
Old 10-01-2011, 04:45 AM
Barry Sloate

On Sunday, September 4, Curb Your Enthusiasm ran an episode starring Bill Buckner and Mookie Wilson, and it parodied Buckner's famous error as he dropped a ball signed by Mookie out an open widow. The next day the Red Sox began their historic collapse.

Call it the curse of Larry David.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott,

Wow, this is like the old days. Did Francona's responsibilities end on 9/5? Obviously no. Did he become a much worse manager on that date? I think the answer to that question is evident as well. Did his players falter after 9/5? I defy you to say no.

There is no question that a manager (or pitching coatch) can impact the result of a game. But can you seriously argue that Francona somehow became a worse manager than he was in the years when he was winning the series? Did he make worse decisons with better players? If you believe that to be the case, please explain because I'm not seeing it.

Kenny
Kenny - in the real world people can have differing opinions and they don't have to have to end up agreeing in the end. But this is the internet, and I realize that all discussions have to end in a virtual dual to prove 'the winner'.

I'm opting out.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Dave

As much as I think this is a poor decision by the Sox, I think that it ultimately boils down to the fact Francona didn't really want to stay in Boston.

If he had campaigned to keep his job, I think he'd be there next year.

Maybe if he had a few weeks to really digest the situation, he would have fought it more. Coming so soon after the famous collapse, he probably didn't have the right mind-set, nor did anyone else in the Sox front office.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Face it, the Sox are no different than the Yankees. Joe T was forced out and so was Francona. Same franchises now.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Rawn Hill

At least it makes for good conversation over the long winter. I rather enjoyed the pre 2004 days.

Rawn
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
As much as I think this is a poor decision by the Sox, I think that it ultimately boils down to the fact Francona didn't really want to stay in Boston.

Maybe if he had a few weeks to really digest the situation, he would have fought it more. Coming so soon after the famous collapse, he probably didn't have the right mind-set, nor did anyone else in the Sox front office.
I think you're right that Francona was ready to leave, but why? When the Red Sox won it all in '04, as a franchise they had a totally different attitude, just because it had been so long. While their payroll was huge, they weren't perceived as being just another group of overpaid superstars, as were the Yankees. Now they are. They are no longer in the same class as the woeful, cuddly Cubs.

It's a different team attitude to deal with now than it was in '04, and different situations require different managerial types. There was a good article in today's paper that described Francona's frustration over the fact that the players weren't a tight group, and he couldn't get more out of them. That is part of managing. None of the 'keep Francona' proponents seem to see this, but at least Francona does.

Sure, it's possible he could come right back next year and win it all for the 3rd time in 9 years. Maybe, as you suggest, he should have taken time off, figured out what he could do differently to make that happen, and lobbied to keep his job. But like you said, he was ready to get out of Boston.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Barry Sloate

I read that Francona has been having trouble communicating with this group of players, and that there were clubhouse problems. Maybe it just boiled down to he didn't want the job any more.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Dave

I read somewhere the starting pitching staff was allowed to drink beer in the clubhouse between starts for the last couple years, and it didn't sit right with a lot of the other players.

I like beer as much as the next guy, but when you see how the starting staff imploded during the last month of the season, you wonder if they might have been taking that privilege just a little too far.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

This Sox fan agrees with the decision.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post

This post has merit. When the going got tough, this "entitiled" team could have cared less about the tough getting going (except for Pede). Francona could not get the tough going and that says a lot because Tito is a very good Manager. He lasted 8 years which is a long time in Boston. Longest since Cronin back in the 30's and 40's. He will do well wherever he might land.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:28 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Tragedy? Not a chance...Travesty? Maybe. Disappointing? Definitely. Honestly, there was nothing else Francona could've done. With a 9 game lead in the Wild-Card, Tito made the right decision by sticking with his slumping players. All things considered, if the team were to have any chance of winning the WS, he had to stick with those guys in the hopes that they'd turn it around. That team was built to win it all, and not just simply make the playoffs, and that fact led to the decisions and to what happened. Despite the confidence he showed in those players, and HAD to show, they didn't turn it around. Missing the playoffs under those circumstances was a freak occurrence, that even going into the rain delay, no one could've predicted.

I wouldn't fault Francona at all for what happened, because everything he did, was what he HAD to do in hopes of winning it all..

As an Indians fan, I hope he doesn't end up in Chicago..
Old 10-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This Sox fan agrees with the decision.
I'm curious why? I didn't follow the team on a day to day as you did.....what did you see that was troubling that didn't exist over the past few years? Just that the players stopped listening to him?