NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Mike

Default 1974 Topps Wash - SD Variations

If all the cards in the1974 Topps set were printed at the same time and not in Series. Then why don't all the San Diego cards have a Washington Variation ? Thanks
Old 11-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Howie Schenker

This excerpt from a Keith Olbermann SCD column sheds some light on the 1974 Padres situation but doesn't answer why only some cards showed Washington:

"This was the season Topps jumped the gun on the planned move of the San Diego Padres, and issued the 14 lower-numbered Padres (and the No. 599 rookie card featuring Padre Dave Freisleben) in two varieties: San Diego or “Washington, Nat’l Lea.” The proof cards of the Padres up to number 387 all list the team correctly (no “Washington” proof has ever been found), but the color scheme for the lettering is all different. Instead of black on a brownish orange, they’re all white on brown – not a mistake as such, but a design change (and paralleled by other aesthetic changes for other teams as well).

The proof cards, as ever, give considerable insight to baseball card history. The Topps Vault auctioned a 1974 proof sheet on eBay in 2003, and all the Padres players on it are listed with San Diego – and are thus covered by the hand-markings of the set editor, insisting that they be changed to Washington. Just to further clarify what was happening at Topps HQ, this proof sheet is, as most were, dated – marked “Dec. 6, 1973” – and thus indicating what kind of chaos had enveloped the card company less than three months before the cards were due in stores".

- See more at: http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co....ph9GvKzt.dpuf
Old 11-28-2015, 07:37 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I think the answer is they were still composing the uncut sheets in rough numerical order and the first three (which would go no higher than #396) were composed and printed first. The change was then ordered at the end of the first run of these sheets. The error above those numbers on the #599 rookie card was likely just overlooked the first time around. Based upon the two "correct" versions of #599 at least three print runs came off the presses. It seems likely to me that each sheet's run was completed before the next run or new sheet batch was started. There had to be some order to the process just from knowing how Topps went about their proofing process.

I seem to recall the Washington cards were not available in all parts of the country, possibly from a newspaper article at the time. Again, going from memory, Topps had three main distribution centers in the US around this time, so I wonder if one run was meant for each distribution center. As kid collectors in 1974, we were very aware of the errors on Long Island so they have always been popular.

Last edited by toppcat; 11-28-2015 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Well, from a logical standpoint, you have to understand that although 'all' of the cards were released at the same time, not all of the cards were actually printed at the same time. They had numerous print runs throughout the year, so they eventually changed 'Washington' to 'San Diego.'

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I think the answer is they were still composing the uncut sheets in rough numerical order and the first three (which would go no higher than #396) were composed and printed first. The change was then ordered at the end of the first run of these sheets. The error above those numbers on the #599 rookie card was likely just overlooked the first time around. Based upon the two "correct" versions of #599 at least three print runs came off the presses. It seems likely to me that each sheet's run was completed before the next run or new sheet batch was started. There had to be some order to the process just from knowing how Topps went about their proofing process.

I seem to recall the Washington cards were not available in all parts of the country, possibly from a newspaper article at the time. Again, going from memory, Topps had three main distribution centers in the US around this time, so I wonder if one run was meant for each distribution center. As kid collectors in 1974, we were very aware of the errors on Long Island so they have always been popular.
That sounds very logical, Dave. I don't remember their respective card numbers, but assuming the Winfield has a higher card number than McCovey, that would explain why there is a McCovey "Washington" variation (which I have), but no similar Winfield.

May your collecting bring you joy,

Larry
Old 12-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

BTW,

I am needing these cards to complete our set.

If you have any that you want to get rid of, let me know what you need.