NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Scott - No trainwreck, pm sent. Won't happen again.
Thanks Steven, and thanks for the PM. No problem - this is definitely the place to air your concerns.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Wow...what a forgiving lot?!?!

Not even an apology? We're listening to what our customers want...meaning for HOC/HS not to shill their own auctions and basically rob their customers of their hard earned cash?

And from this moment on...we're not going to steal your $$$ anymore?!?!

And many of you are ok with this...end of story? WOW!
There was no shill bidding here. Shill bidding is placing a bid for the purpose of bumping a bidder who has a max bid to a higher level. You are wrong to accuse Bill Huggins of unethical conduct. You may have a legitimate disagreement with him about the practice of house accounts bidding to win, but to leap from there to accusing him of being unethical is just wrong. It is unfortunate that others who agree with me will not speak up.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There was no shill bidding here. Shill bidding is placing a bid for the purpose of bumping a bidder who has a max bid to a higher level. You are wrong to accuse Bill Huggins of unethical conduct. You may have a legitimate disagreement with him about the practice of house accounts bidding to win, but to leap from there to accusing him of being unethical is just wrong. It is unfortunate that others who agree with me will not speak up.
Peter.

Facts speak louder than words. Not accusing H&S of anything nefarious, but the fact remains that every time they bid a lot up, they screwed the other bidders. Glad that he's stopped it, but it doesn't change the fact that it happened. End of story.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Peter.

Facts speak louder than words. Not accusing H&S of anything nefarious, but the fact remains that every time they bid a lot up, they screwed the other bidders. Glad that he's stopped it, but it doesn't change the fact that it happened. End of story.
I don't agree Kenny. If someone is willing to pay more than I am, I don't feel screwed, I feel outbid. It doesn't matter to me if the higher bidder is inside or outside, if the bid is legitimate.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Kenny Cole

Peter,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, although the posts and the response seem to indicate that it is in the minority. Everything that I would say has already been said, but my thought is that if I'm outbid by an actual bidder, then I'm outbid. If I'm outbid by the house because it didn't get what they were hoping for, or I won it for more than I should have paid because I got bid up by the auction house, then IMO, I got screwed. Most posters here seem to agree
Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Kenny I have no doubt that I am in the minority in terms of being OK with house bidding (to win, not to bump), but also no doubt that others who are unwilling to post see it my way. In the end, it is just as you say, a matter of opinion. My main point is to clarify that whatever H&S was doing, it was not -- as far as we know -- shill bidding as that term is commonly used and understood.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Kenny Cole

And that is where we will have to agree to diverge, opinionwise, because I don't think it is OK at all. When the bid to win is because the prior bid seems too low, or when the bid to win ends up simply being a bump on the way to a higher bid, I view that as a problem. If you seriously don't, then I suppose that's fine. When I decide to personally auction some of my stuff, remind me to make sure you know about it.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Peter.

I'm stunned that there are collectors who apparently think this is no biggie and now that the policy has changed everything is ok. Has anyone asked whether or not House ofcards does the same type pf thing with their Ebay auctions.
In my opinion it is certainly unethical for an auction house to bid on their own auctions.

Dave Krabal

Last edited by T206DK; 02-24-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Peter, I know from your posts you are a much more educated and overall experienced collector than myself. But for me, I am tired of not being listened to with legitimate concerns such as the one with h/s auctions. Bill changed his policies and apologized...my inexperience leaves me somewhat historically uneducated, but at this point I was happy Bill changed. If the cards I want are at a good price, I have no reservations on bidding.

Steven Suckow
Does anyone wonder whether the change would have been made had this thread not been started ?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206DK View Post
Does anyone wonder whether the change would have been made had this thread not been started ?
Of course everyone knows that this "issue" wouldn't have changed b/c in their eyes, they were doing nothing wrong. Things like this or just things in general don't get changed without people pointing out the possible wrongdoing effect it will have on their business and/or the community.

How does anything with possible unethical implications get changed? Through the masses voting it to change or peer pressure or mind changing in general. I'm just glad that the President of H&S was listening and made the proper adjustments...I give him full credit for that.

For the record, I do believe it is wrong to bid on their auctions like they were doing, but I can honestly see both sides of the spectrum.

Mik/e C.a.vv.e.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Kenny I have no doubt that I am in the minority in terms of being OK with house bidding (to win, not to bump), but also no doubt that others who are unwilling to post see it my way. In the end, it is just as you say, a matter of opinion. My main point is to clarify that whatever H&S was doing, it was not -- as far as we know -- shill bidding as that term is commonly used and understood.
Every time they bid and don't win it is no different than a shill bid, and how would anyone here know that they were bid up essentially by the house? They wouldn't. I don't care what their intent was if the auctioneer is bidding it is illegal, and I don't really care for the legal technicality that HOC and H&S are separate businesses, they are owned by the same person.

Peter, I think you are in a bigger minority than you think you are...what would keep anyone from speaking up for H&S if they thought it was okay? I actually think more people are not speaking up who believe that it was shill bidding because they don't want to lose their bidding privileges...if H&S is as thin skinned as the folks from Heritage that's a real possibility.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Barry Sloate

I know that bidders hate when an auction house bids in their own auction, but I wonder how consignors feel about it. My guess is they just might be okay with it.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Scott

Quote:
I don't agree Kenny. If someone is willing to pay more than I am, I don't feel screwed, I feel outbid. It doesn't matter to me if the higher bidder is inside or outside, if the bid is legitimate.

Hi POLLYANNA
Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206DK View Post
I guess my whole point is/was I was glad he was listening and made the change...probably wouldnt have made the change otherwise. As far as HOC goes, I have never won a lot there, and still do not agree with those practices and will not bid.

Kudos to Dan for the thread in the first place and initiating change. Lots of things bother me in this world...I dont know Mr Huggins personally, but Id like to believe he'll keep his word. Just my opinion.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Every time they bid and don't win it is no different than a shill bid, and how would anyone here know that they were bid up essentially by the house? They wouldn't. I don't care what their intent was if the auctioneer is bidding it is illegal, and I don't really care for the legal technicality that HOC and H&S are separate businesses, they are owned by the same person.

Peter, I think you are in a bigger minority than you think you are...what would keep anyone from speaking up for H&S if they thought it was okay? I actually think more people are not speaking up who believe that it was shill bidding because they don't want to lose their bidding privileges...if H&S is as thin skinned as the folks from Heritage that's a real possibility.
Dan -- fear of backlash. I know this from private communications. EDIT TO ADD If H&S were really "shilling" HOC wouldn't be winning anything -- it would just be a house account used to bump other bidders to their max bids.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-25-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
Hi POLLYANNA
LOL that is refreshing, as I am so often accused of being cynical. Thanks!!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Dan -- fear of backlash. I know this from private communications. EDIT TO ADD If H&S were really "shilling" HOC wouldn't be winning anything -- it would just be a house account used to bump other bidders to their max bids.

I disagree with you Peter. You are basically saying if someone is shilling auctions, the shill account never wins. That is just simply not true. As for the change in bidding rules now, IMO they basically had no choice, So i guess I am in the boat of they didn't do anything so great by changing to this.

I feel like what they did in the beginning was wrong. I believe H&S and HOC are the same company, and for them to have been bidding on items was running bids up against loyal customers who have been doing business with them for years.

Call me old school, but I am also in the camp that when someone owns a business and there is a problem with a customer, the business owner should apologize to the customer, there was never an apology for this or really an explanation as to why they felt this was right, other than HOC pays the buyers premium as well.

I had what I felt like was a major issue with H&S once, when I called to voice my concern, there was no apology from the person who answered the phone, to me, he didn't seem to care about the issue at all, he did allow me to send the item back for a refund and when I asked if they could cover what it would cost to ship it back, the person helping me seemed irritated that I would even ask that because as he said, it only costs $15 to ship.

Well, that didn't exactly make me feel like a valued customer. Not only did I feel like I had irritated this person for bringing this issue up, but there was never any explanation for how this could have happened in the first place and no assurance was made to me to make me believe it couldn't or wouldn't happen again.

In all fairness, it was not Josh or Bill that handled this issue, maybe they would have handled it better. I don't know if they ever even knew of the issue. I would think they would have been informed of it. To me, it just seemed like no one there really cared too much that there was what I felt was a major issue and to me it had a feel of being swept under the rug.

Chr....s S-hr.. e--ve
Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
That's not true..their software is set up to not show max bids, but it may not be anonymous and they may know the bidding patterns of their customers..some guys are win at all cost, and others are cautious, and wait until extended bidding to do their work. They IMO were looking at lots that they believed they could make money on with their ebay account..they may have been bidding to win, but in the process the house was running up bids...which is illegal regardless of intent.

At first I couldn't tell if you were playing Devil's Advocate or looking for work. But now I think you're being serious that you see nothing wrong with what they were doing. I just don't understand how anyone could look at the situation and be okay with this.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 AM
pete ullman

Yes Dan...agreed?! WTF is wrong with everyone?!
Old 02-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Peter Spaeth

I am being serious. I don't consider placing a bid with the hope of winning the lot to be running anyone up. It's a different issue if you don't believe that's what H&S was really up to, but that's more a factual than a philosophical question.

Dan, do you object to hidden reserves also? Or consignors buying back their own cards? Just curious.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Dan, do you object to hidden reserves also? Or consignors buying back their own cards? Just curious.
A hidden reserve is a static target placed on a lot before the auction opens, which is very different than the scenario with H&S.

Owners bidding on their own lots is also shill bidding. Are you ok with owners bidding on their own items?

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Peter Spaeth

My instinct is against consignors bidding on their own lots, but on the other hand what is the difference I wonder between a hidden reserve of X on a lot and the consignor placing a bid of X-1 increment? Either way, you can't win the card for less than X, and the consignor gets it back if the bidding doesn't go that high.

Of course in a sense none of these things we are debating matter much. If an auction house wants to, it can ask a friendly third-party to do its bidding, and if a consignor wants to, he can ask a friend.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
My instinct is against consignors bidding on their own lots, but on the other hand what is the difference I wonder between a hidden reserve of X on a lot and the consignor placing a bid of X-1 increment? Either way, you can't win the card for less than X, and the consignor gets it back if the bidding doesn't go that high.

Of course in a sense none of these things we are debating matter much. If an auction house wants to, it can ask a friendly third-party to do its bidding, and if a consignor wants to, he can ask a friend.
I have to agree with all of that. My thought is that it boils down to the principle. One is a static target placed at the outset while the other is a bit more arbitrary in that it can be adjusted as the auction unfolds (at least my understanding is the hidden reserve is not adjusted after an auction has begun). In the end, I'm not sure it matters much because the hammer price can be manipulated in many ways. Discussing principle is one thing, but policing reality is completely another.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Personally, I always assumed that auction houses (or employees of the house) were not allowed to bid on the items due to a potential conflict of interest. This whole thread got me thinking, is Huggins and Scott the only auction house that WAS allowing employees to bid on items.

I know many on here often mention REA as the gold standard of auctions and on their website they clearly state that, "The auction house should not own any of the material, set any secret hidden reserves, permit its employees and executives to bid in the auction, provide inaccurate descriptions, make undisclosed restorations to the material, or intentionally not disclose any conflicts of interest."

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/about/index.html

I did a real basic search of some other auction house rules and I had a hard time finding any statements concerning the topic of employee bidding - either way, allowed or not. I was surprised by this - only one auction house (that my admittedly caveman search found) addresses this topic...

Does anyone on here know factually where some of the other auction houses stand on this topic? If so, I think it would be good information to share with everyone.

A.ndy K.en.n.edy
Old 02-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecaibrown View Post
Does anyone on here know factually where some of the other auction houses stand on this topic? If so, I think it would be good information to share with everyone.

A.ndy K.en.n.edy
6. Subject to exceptions relating to credit considerations, all qualified bidders in good standing are eligible to bid on any lot in the auction. Legendary Auctions as a Company, as well as all of its employees (including executives and principals), are ineligible to bid in our auctions. Passive outside investors are eligible to bid.
15. Although Legendary Auctions employees, executives and principals are prohibited from bidding in the auction, from time to time they will own items that are consigned to the auction. In those cases (1) It will be clearly disclosed and (2) On these particular items customers will have a 7 days “no questions asked” return policy.
http://legendaryauctions.com/rules.aspx

I searched both Sterling and Brockelman & Luckey Auctions and found nothing in writing per web sites pertaining to employee bidding in writing but I thought Leon has repeated they cannot bid in their auction I believe...
http://www.b-lauctions.com/terms.html
http://www.sterlingsportsauctions.com/rules.aspx

Last edited by rainier2004; 02-25-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Wow...what a forgiving lot?!?!

Not even an apology? We're listening to what our customers want...meaning for HOC/HS not to shill their own auctions and basically rob their customers of their hard earned cash?

And from this moment on...we're not going to steal your $$$ anymore?!?!

And many of you are ok with this...end of story? WOW!
Now that Mr. Huggins has responded to forum opinion and changed the policy, what more of true substance can he do to correct the situation? Submit to flogging? Cut off his ear and send it to you? Just curious.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 AM
pete ullman

Well Golly Gee...an apology would be nice?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
pete ullman

Admission of wrong doing would be nice?!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 AM
pete ullman

I'm done with this "discussion!"

It seems I am in the minority here of those that expect more from the businesses we deal with in this hobby and beyond. I expect honesty and integrity...and when someone F$cks up...I expect an apology...and then I can and usually do...move on!

I used to go to house of cards when I lived in MD back in the 90's and I always enjoyed my experiences there. Personally...H & S hardly ever offers anything in their auctions that I'm interested in...so I will most likely never bid in their auctions anyway.

I'm just a bit sick and tired of the mentality that has been propogating that businesses can rip people off at will...until they get caught...and then they just stop without any repercussions.

So I'll just group H&S/HOC with the Madolphs...and the banks...and most of the finance world that basically raped the country of their money...with nary a slap on the wrist!

God Bless America!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Ke.n K0hen

I said "of substance." Such window dressing changes nothing. Reasonable people are satisfied with a resolution to a problem. Declare victory and move on.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

So I'll just group H&S/HOC with the Madolphs...and the banks...and most of the finance world that basically raped the country of their money...with nary a slap on the wrist!

God Bless America!
Occupy Huggins & Scott!!!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Michael S

The first two words out of the President of a Major Auction house's mouth to his Customers were "so look'. What was the movie....Jerry Maguire I think that had a great line in the movie of "you had me at hello".

When I read his first two words, he did not have me because it sounded like he was "put off" in having to deal with this issue. I am in sales and if I sent out a mass note to my irate customer base and started my note the same way, I would expect to lose numerous customer's in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, its good the issue appears to be fixed but the communication came across (IMO) about as "sincere as a spider" and as loyal customers of his auction house, we deserved more respect.

Michael S*%@tee@le
Old 02-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Fred

I understand where some people are with this.

Ok, somebody got busted with their hand(s) in the cookie jar and after saying it won't happen again we're all just supposed to pretend like it never happened. I think the point a few people are trying to make is that this is something that shouldn't get swept under the carpet and forgotten about. This is something that impacts our hobby and hobbyist.

The way I figure, this is going to be on the minds of people after this thread goes to the bottom of the forum page and then off the main forum page. I'm guessing HOC and H&S would just wish it went away.

Maybe they ought to try and figure a way to smooth things over (monetarily). Drop he BP on the next auction to 5% (or something like that). Show the BUYERS/BIDDERS in their auctions that this is thier way of making amends for the MANY that felt slighted on this. There's nothing unethical about giving back to the hobby (and hobbyist) in a show of appreciation and gratitude.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
The first two words out of the President of a Major Auction house's mouth to his Customers were "so look'. What was the movie....Jerry Maguire I think that had a great line in the movie of "you had me at hello".

When I read his first two words, he did not have me because it sounded like he was "put off" in having to deal with this issue. I am in sales and if I sent out a mass note to my irate customer base and started my note the same way, I would expect to lose numerous customer's in the near future.

Don't get me wrong, its good the issue appears to be fixed but the communication came across (IMO) about as "sincere as a spider" and as loyal customers of his auction house, we deserved more respect.

Michael S*%@tee@le
I'm with you Michael. To start out with "so look" seemed very put off to me, much like I was treated for an issue I had with H&S last year, there was nothing about the issue I had last year or this issue that made me really think they were sincerely sorry. I am with Peter also, A sincere apology would have been at least a start instead of starting it with "so look". That just sounds very stand offish.

Chr...s Sh-- r e...ve
Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post

Michael S*%@tee@le
+1
Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 PM
$cotty @.utin

Interesting that this thread is happening as the Legendy Auction is kicking off. Makes me wonder...

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Admission of wrong doing would be nice?!
yeah, I agree. an admision and an apology would be nice. It almost seems like they are mad that this was discovered....like someone ruined their good thing

Last edited by T206DK; 02-25-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
Now that Mr. Huggins has responded to forum opinion and changed the policy, what more of true substance can he do to correct the situation? Submit to flogging? Cut off his ear and send it to you? Just curious.
Leave the ear. Send cannoli.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-25-2012, 02:55 PM

Default Just for the record B & L

We do not bid on any lots in our auction(could have sworn we had that in print, but I guess not), the statement has been made previously and still holds true. And since we don't have any employees, you don't have to worry about them either.

Also, we use the same software provider/auction platform as REA. So you can feel equally comfortable on our auction venue as well.

Scott
Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
We do not bid on any lots in our auction(could have sworn we had that in print, but I guess not), the statement has been made previously and still holds true. And since we don't have any employees, you don't have to worry about them either.

Also, we use the same software provider/auction platform as REA. So you can feel equally comfortable on our auction venue as well.

Scott

It is under our Market Strategy section and has been there since day one on our website, http://www.b-lauctions.com/market.html . As we recall we started our auction company in the heyday of some investigations. As far as I know we have the only written rule allowing for auditing of our records by a third party, if there ever is any question as to our auction bidding. I knew we had that rule concerning auction house bidding and missed it in our our "rules" page too.. I will work on getting a section added there in addition to where it is now. But again, been set in writing since day one. regards

Last edited by Leon; 02-25-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-27-2012, 07:55 PM

Huggins Ear? No thanks, I want his liver!