NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Steve Birmingham

Default Amazing.

Maybe not in a good way?

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/...8-cd6873ac8e00

This sort of art I just don't get. I mean, it's nice, but it's a big blue square with a white line. Pretty much anyone could make one in what, maybe a half hour? 43.8 million seems a bit much.

Steve B
Heading to the garage - there's some leftover plywood, paint, and a roller........
Old 05-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Maybe not in a good way?

http://living.msn.com/life-inspired/...8-cd6873ac8e00

This sort of art I just don't get. I mean, it's nice, but it's a big blue square with a white line. Pretty much anyone could make one in what, maybe a half hour? 43.8 million seems a bit much.

Steve B
Heading to the garage - there's some leftover plywood, paint, and a roller........
I could have painted that and would have discounted off the 43M price too....maybe all the way down to something like 42M....
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM
David Pierson
Banned

The historical significance of this Newman work is astronomical, as is the expected hammer price. Worth about 20 t206 Wags. (Not to me) But I am aware of its value. Dave. ps Helps that my astrophysicist daughter is now in her last term at Johns Hopkins getting her masters in Museology (curating and cataloging and running museum collections). That's a tangent, but I am so proud of her. Go figure Astrophysics/Museology....left brain right brain!
pps She is currently working part time compiling a short paper on Why our beloved cards can never be reproduced by modern means...very insightful.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Maybe the World Ping Pong Champion bought it...
Old 05-16-2013, 02:13 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Gotta admit....took me a half second....ha ha ha ha ha! Good One! Dave.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
...She is currently working part time compiling a short paper on Why our beloved cards can never be reproduced by modern means...very insightful.
I'm very interested to see her findings. Please post this paper or send me a copy.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I plan on posting it. It will be short and to the point. It will also take a while.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Dave

As the father of a daughter who is presently attending an art school on a significant academic scholarship, stuff like this kind of angers me a little bit, that people buy into this crap.

What our own Mr. Kriendler does is pure talent. This is trash for the pretentious art crowd. Art by artists who can't really do art, but disguise it as having some sort of deep meaning.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Barnett Newman was a giant figure in American Abstract Expressionism and one of the greatest of the "color field" painters.

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 05-17-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

I will say that I've seen some of the abstaract stuff while on museum visits. I never gor Pollack before I stood next to one. I don't think I've ever seen one of Newmans in person. The Pollack was huge and very textural. The mechanical side of me was amazed the huge globs of paint had dried without cracking and falling off. Maybe Newman had something else going on besides just a wide swath of color?

I feel the same way about the impressionists. Nice pictures, but not great until you're in the same room.

I still think 43 million is way steep for what it is. That's like two really great Rockwells, or maybe 20+ lesser ones.
Or a Rembrandt plus change?

Steve B
Old 05-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I will say that I've seen some of the abstaract stuff while on museum visits. I never gor Pollack before I stood next to one. I don't think I've ever seen one of Newmans in person. The Pollack was huge and very textural. The mechanical side of me was amazed the huge globs of paint had dried without cracking and falling off. Maybe Newman had something else going on besides just a wide swath of color?

I feel the same way about the impressionists. Nice pictures, but not great until you're in the same room.

I still think 43 million is way steep for what it is. That's like two really great Rockwells, or maybe 20+ lesser ones.
Or a Rembrandt plus change?

Steve B

That Rembrandt and Rockwell are shown in the same museums as Newman and Pollock, truly boggle my mind.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
That Rembrandt and Rockwell are shown in the same museums as Newman and Pollock, truly boggle my mind.
+1 What's next? Weyland and Kincade? Ugh!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Weyland the comics guy? Maybe not. Although he's not bad as comics guys go.

Kinkaide ? I think eventually. Although it's always struck me as hudson river school done in day-glo colors. There are certainly people who tried to copy him and only managed to make some bright but horrible pictures.

My tastes are pretty varied- Escher, Bosch, Dali, DaVinci, (Actually most of the better italian painters of that era) Calder, Mucha, Gibson....

But not Picasso, or a few others who just seem overrated. Picasso is a puzzle to me, my art teacher showed me a book about him that showed some stuff he did at some early age like 12. Incredibly impressive compared to the stuff that made him famous.

Steve B
Old 05-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Banned

picasso used to joke that anybody would buy any piece of art he made, that his terrible pieces or art would get snapped right up. he could paint some piece of junk in a short time and get 80000 for it, buy a house. he knew it was a scam.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
picasso used to joke that anybody would buy any piece of art he made, that his terrible pieces or art would get snapped right up. he could paint some piece of junk in a short time and get 80000 for it, buy a house. he knew it was a scam.
Yes, he used to "joke" about it all the time. You, however, seem to have taken him seriously. Dave.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Even more interesting.

The seller was Paul Allen.
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/microso...ng-43-million/

And apparently he spent the money on a V-2 for a museum.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/paul-al...rcraft-museum/

Pretty cool, I know which one I'd rather have, assuming I had the space for it.

Steve B
Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Ja,mie B.

My favorite of the modern artists are Kandinsky and Basquiat. If I had those kinds of resources, I wouldn't mind dropping serious dough for either of them.

When my mother was a teenager she had the opportunity to buy a painting from an up-and-coming artist whom she really liked for $400, but it was a lot of money for her at the time, so she passed. Who was the artist? Andy Warhol.

I don't think that artists like Newman are a scam, but I do find the prices baffling.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
David M.

All I can think of when I look at that painting is, if he had used some better painter's tape the blue paint wouldn't have bled into the white.