NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Rob Ruddy

Default C46 Popularity?

Is there much interest in the C46 Imperial Tobacco set? Do collectors tend to buy the "Big Three" - Kelley, Gandil and McGinnity primarily?

There are many great looking sets out there and the C46s are rather drab looking in comparison to the T206, T212 or Caramel cards. Would you describe the C46 as the Canadian version of T207, which are also drab in comparison to the other sets.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Steve Murray

I like brown cards, C46 included. Had the set once. Sold it. Picked up the Kelley and McGinnity since but not the Gandil. Taylor is another toughie and should be considered one of the "big four".

Lots of player crossover with T206 and many players in the majors. Nice little bios.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Richard A.

The C46 set is awesome. Admittedly, it's not the prettiest, but I like the bios on the back and the fact that it's a Canadian issue.

A few years ago I went after the set, but changed directions around 65 cards or so. These days I only have the Toronto team set, but it's entirely possible that someday I'll make another run at completing it.

Regards,

Richard.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
Is there much interest in the C46 Imperial Tobacco set? Do collectors tend to buy the "Big Three" - Kelley, Gandil and McGinnity primarily?

There are many great looking sets out there and the C46s are rather drab looking in comparison to the T206, T212 or Caramel cards. Would you describe the C46 as the Canadian version of T207, which are also drab in comparison to the other sets.

It's just not a real popular set. Many collectors don't collect Canadian sets. There aren't a lot of big names besides the 4 mentioned. They are kind of drab looking, as mentioned...so there just isn't the allure of other sets...

Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I've only got one, Gandil. But I like em...one of the few black & white issues that appeals to me. Got my Gandil from Frank Nagy a long time ago...he had an insanely beautiful set. I wish I had paid more attention to his story but I recall him saying he got them from Canada (as it is only across the bridge or through the tunnel from Motown). Dave.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM

Default Fun set

I quess I like the brown sets as well. Also really like the design of the C46 set. Nice condition cards can be had if you have a lot of patience, and don't mind paying for nice examples.

Over the past year I decided to go after the 12 catchers in the set. I'm waiting for 3 more to arrive currently, which will give me 8 of the 12 catchers.

It's an interesting set in that while nice examples can be had, many cards exhibit edge chipping.

Unfortunately, there isn't a catcher card for the Providence team. The other seven teams of the Eastern League, however, are represented.

Patrick
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I have always loved this set. I think the design is awesome even if they are drab. Plus there are 9 Jersey City players represented (I own 8 so far, still need a decent raw Wells). I like the bios too. I can certainly understand why it isn't a more popular set considering the player selection though. I've never had a problem selling examples however. They always seem to sell very easily for some reason.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 04-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Jim R

I didn't collect the set but did get an example of each Baltimore player in the set. Very cool set in my opinion

a toughie

a favorite

Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I've only got one, Gandil. But I like em...one of the few black & white issues that appeals to me. Got my Gandil from Frank Nagy a long time ago...he had an insanely beautiful set. I wish I had paid more attention to his story but I recall him saying he got them from Canada (as it is only across the bridge or through the tunnel from Motown). Dave.
I have no desire to collect the entire set but I like to pick a few up now and then. I have about 24 cards, 5 are PSA graded. I have Gandil and Kelley, both are ungraded. I recently purchased a Meyers PSA 7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c46-meyers.jpg (18.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM
$c0tt A1p@ug.h

Always loved this set, too. Finished it years ago in lower grade, sold it, rebuilt it and sold it again. Have a few in higher grade examples still and the difference in eye appeal is staggering.

I think if I ever do this set again, it will be in NM or better . . . and that won't be easy...

Collecting: 1948 Leaf Football Master Set (PSA 7 or better - PSA 6 or better for High Numbers), 1948 Leaf Football White Backgrounds, 1948 Leaf Football On-card Autographs, Wire Photos or Original Photos depicting images used for the 1948 Leaf Football issue -- circa 1880-1909 Football cabinets
Old 04-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTWCards View Post
Always loved this set, too. Finished it years ago in lower grade, sold it, rebuilt it and sold it again. Have a few in higher grade examples still and the difference in eye appeal is staggering.

I think if I ever do this set again, it will be in NM or better . . . and that won't be easy...
No it won't be easy. The C46s have the same problem that the T205s have - the borders chip. I see very few NM C46s offered on eBay.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Oui

I like the Imperial Tobacco cards.
I thought they would make a nice derision from the (mainly) HOF collection that I usually focus on.
They have a nice mix of players ( including several that no one seems to know the first names!)

I acquired a pretty good bunch that were already SGC-graded, so I sent in the others for consistency.
http://www.sgccardregistry.com/set.a...1&userset=5875

Still a long way to go. I don't seek these out too actively, generally only if I am in a lull collecting caramels or HOFers.

OK...now that you mention it, does anyone have any SGC graded C46 for sale? I'm buying!!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I think it's a great set. I have never pursued it, but have half a dozen decent examples. I would love to get a Taylor.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 AM

I have some. Here are my 3 killers (grade-wise):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cy Seymour #38 (BVG 8).jpg (76.7 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Holmes #79 (PSA 8).jpg (76.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg William Collins #34 (BVG 8).jpg (77.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I like the design but have no desire to collect more than the HOFers in the set.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Being a hopeless set collector, I put together the set last year and like the card design. You can add Corcoran to the list of toughies in that set, it was the last one I found. Taylor has gone through the roof.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Danny Gabel

Default Taylor

Since I'm Dummy Taylor collector. His C-46 always give me goosebumps. My 2nd favorite card of him other than his T-206 with green background.

I would like to know why his C-46 card is consider one of toughie?

I have few and would love to get more...

Danny-
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default C46

I have sold most of my near complete C46 set....but, I kept the Demmitt and O'Hara cards.

TED Z
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Being a hopeless set collector, I put together the set last year and like the card design. You can add Corcoran to the list of toughies in that set, it was the last one I found. Taylor has gone through the roof.
Yup, I'd say asking nearly $1000.00 for a PSA 4 C46 Taylor is through the roof. Its not like its a Gandil, McGinnity or Kelley.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
MikeHealer

I only have Gandil, but I do like the set especially the bio on the back.