NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 03-24-2018, 05:48 PM

Default Proud of our Youth !

I am opening myself up for attack on this one, I am fully aware. However, today I am very proud of our youth and all who protested!

Today at the Nation's Capital and at cities across America were some of the biggest youth protests since the Vietnam era.

These massive gun control rallies and protests hope to bring an end to the increasing gun violence and deaths so prevalent in today's world all across America.

The NRA doesn't realize one critical point - back in George Washington's day they didn't have automatic assault rifles capable of mass destruction and mortality.

Times change and we need to change our laws accordingly to help protect and serve our citizens.

Now if the NRA wants to defend the rights to own a single shot rifle, no problem, I will march alongside the NRA.

Steve

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 03-24-2018 at 05:49 PM. Reason: add name
Old 03-24-2018, 07:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
I am opening myself up for attack on this one, I am fully aware. However, today I am very proud of our youth and all who protested!

Today at the Nation's Capital and at cities across America were some of the biggest youth protests since the Vietnam era.

These massive gun control rallies and protests hope to bring an end to the increasing gun violence and deaths so prevalent in today's world all across America.

The NRA doesn't realize one critical point - back in George Washington's day they didn't have automatic assault rifles capable of mass destruction and mortality.

Times change and we need to change our laws accordingly to help protect and serve our citizens.

Now if the NRA wants to defend the rights to own a single shot rifle, no problem, I will march alongside the NRA.

Steve
Opening yourself up for attack, how about hopefully being banned for posting this political garbage.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Opening yourself up for attack, how about hopefully being banned for posting this political garbage.
This ^^^
Old 03-24-2018, 08:06 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Agree completely.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:10 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Agree completely.

2nd

There's literally 100,000s of forums you can post on

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Is it political? I am not sure we can have this gun debate without it being political but in essence it's not. I think both lefties and righties want to own guns. But how do we make America safer? (I reserve the right to lock this thread if it goes too far downhill.)
Old 03-25-2018, 10:55 AM
Barry Sloate

These kids are 17 and 18 years old, many who will be able to vote for the first time in November. We'll see where this all goes. Ideally, both sides of the gun debate can come to some understanding, but given the mood in America today, we'll probably see more shouting and less listening.

I see good points on both sides, and I'm happy to see young people getting so involved, whether you agree with them or not.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

You can ban all guns but it does not get to the root of the problem, why are they shooting up schools? Why blame our mental health laws or the media that glorifies all these mass shootings when guns are the easiest targets?
Old 03-25-2018, 12:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
You can ban all guns but it does not get to the root of the problem, why are they shooting up schools? Why blame our mental health laws or the media that glorifies all these mass shootings when guns are the easiest targets?
It would seem that we can all agree on not letting mentally unstable people have guns. That might be a pretty big task in itself.
As for the media, they are what they are. They just report the stuff though I agree it seems they glorify it by how much they cover it. But if it didn't happen they wouldn't cover it. It is going to be tough to make meaningful changes, imo. Even if they appear meaningful I have a feeling it might only slightly curb the issue. There are so many guns in our society (and elsewhere) I don't see the problem going away soon. And I am usually mostly an optimist.

Last edited by Leon; 03-25-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It would seem that we can all agree on not letting mentally unstable people have guns. That might be a pretty big task in itself.
As for the media, they are what they are. They just report the stuff though I agree it seems they glorify it by how much they cover it. But if it didn't happen they wouldn't cover it. It is going to be tough to make meaningful changes, imo. Even if they appear meaningful I have a feeling it might only slightly curb the issue. There are so many guns in society (and elsewhere) I don't see the problem going away soon. And I am usually mostly an optimist.
Hi Leon, Im not really blaming the media, I know they have a job to do but I guarantee there is someone out there right now feeling like a nobody who fails at everything who sees how famous the Lakeland shooter is and might just be crazy enough to emulate him.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Hi Leon, Im not really blaming the media, I know they have a job to do but I guarantee there is someone out there right now feeling like a nobody who fails at everything who sees how famous the Lakeland shooter is and might just be crazy enough to emulate him.
I understand but not sure there is an (easy) answer.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Barry Sloate

I agree with Leon that there is no easy fix here. When I think of all the changes I would like to see made, I realize they may not do a damn thing to keep guns out of the hands of crazy people.

A dialogue between guns rights people and those who believe there should be fewer guns would be a good start. But that will never happen.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:06 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I see good points on both sides, and I'm happy to see young people getting so involved, whether you agree with them or not.
Spot on.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Ben North

Some people collect guns, target shoot with guns, and hunt with guns. Banning guns is as stupid to them as banning baseball card collecting would be to most on this forum.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:36 PM
Nick Barnes

I got 4 words for ya

"shall not be infringed"
Old 03-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Some people collect guns, target shoot with guns, and hunt with guns. Banning guns is as stupid to them as banning baseball card collecting would be to most on this forum.
Ben- nobody is suggesting that guns should be banned. Responsible Americans have every right to own them. That said, something in America isn't working. But nobody is willing to get together to fix it. And I don't have the answer on how to do that. Just saying there is a problem.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:25 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:

Steve

Steve- Thank you for being willing to speak at a time when it's needed, but not popular.

Clearly, regardless of where you stand on this issue, needed solutions cannot come about without healthy (that means polite, though spirited back and forth) discussion.

The very fact that it is taking our children, even survivors, to get anything started in this area, speaks volumes about the mess our generation has forced upon them.

I say this as a conservative with an open mind when it comes to the better good.

Leon - I hope my post doesn't cause this very vital thread to be blocked.

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As I said earlier, I don't know why this has to be political? Yeah, everyone seems to make it be that way but it doesn't have to be. We all want the same things it's just a matter of how we get there. There are good arguments on all sides. If this thread goes way south then it can be locked. Hopefully it can be discussed in a civil manner. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Steve- Thank you for being willing to speak at a time when it's needed, but not popular.

Clearly, regardless of where you stand on this issue, needed solutions cannot come about without healthy (that means polite, though spirited back and forth) discussion.

The very fact that it is taking our children, even survivors, to get anything started in this area, speaks volumes about the mess our generation has forced upon them.

I say this as a conservative with an open mind when it comes to the better good.

Leon - I hope my post doesn't cause this very vital thread to be blocked.

-Raymond

Last edited by Leon; 03-25-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:16 PM
Mike Lenart

I too am proud of our young adults. They speak very well and want to change things. Whatever side you are on, what we have now is not working and change is needed.

But these young adults have their most powerful tool ahead of them. their vote. Some can vote now, just about all will have that in a few years. That is where we all have the power to elect those who we want to represent us and our views and if not, vote them out.

Mike
Old 03-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:

Steve

so much wrong with this post, time to break it down:

Quote:
and they will be just as ineffective, protests are a tired monument to the delusional wasteland of the 60's that is half of our nation's issues today

Quote:
please explain how a bunch of dumb children marching is going to stop one angry, crazy person from killing a lot of people in the future. please, I'd love to hear it.

They aren't prevalent , not at all, of the 36k annual gun deaths in the USA 20k of those are suicide, and the majority of the remaining are the result of gang violence, only a tiny % are due to "mass shootings" gun control has been proven to show it won't do one tiny thing to that % either, as anyone determined to kill a lot of people is not going to be stopped by a gun law

why isn't the media reporting this accurately? hmmmm?

Quote:
A- no mass shooting in the history of the USA has been done by an automatic weapon, semi-auto sure, but not a fully automatic, so ,by proxy, not one single "assault weapon" has been used in a school shooting either.

B- fully automatic weapons are expensive to buy (grandfathered in relics that cost tens of thousands) and require a year's wait and more $$$ in tax stamps and fees.

C- AR-15 is not high powered, nor fully automatic, nor a military weapon, nor an assault rifle, it's a moderate to low powered semi-automatic, varmint and home protection weapon. It looks scary because of it's cool tactical garb, but underneath the weapon itself is just a hunting rifle with a magazine

D- did the founding fathers plan for the computer and mass media ? so does your first amendment rights to freedom of speech end with the quill and ink? that's a fallacious and silly argument, (and btw, they knew of gatlin gun type weapons and the early attempts at semi-auto)

Quote:
times may change, but my natural rights to protect myself with firearms does not, neither does the power of my constitution, want to change it? fine, follow the rules and pass an amendment, get it through 2/3rds of Congress and have it ratified by 3/4ths of the states. Something tells me you KNOW this will never happen as 100m+ gun owners would oppose you 100%.

You need to learn about guns before you make one more statement about them as you come off as woefully ignorant of the issue and are making naive and embarrassing cliche'd arguments.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Craig L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
But who decides what mentally unstable is?

I agree that some have given up their right and other just shouldn't own. But.the definition of mentally unstable is where we could have big issues.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
so much wrong with this post, time to break it down:

and they will be just as ineffective, protests are a tired monument to the delusional wasteland of the 60's that is half of our nation's issues today

please explain how a bunch of dumb children marching is going to stop one angry, crazy person from killing a lot of people in the future. please, I'd love to hear it.

They aren't prevalent , not at all, of the 36k annual gun deaths in the USA 20k of those are suicide, and the majority of the remaining are the result of gang violence, only a tiny % are due to "mass shootings" gun control has been proven to show it won't do one tiny thing to that % either, as anyone determined to kill a lot of people is not going to be stopped by a gun law

why isn't the media reporting this accurately? hmmmm?

A- no mass shooting in the history of the USA has been done by an automatic weapon, semi-auto sure, but not a fully automatic, so ,by proxy, not one single "assault weapon" has been used in a school shooting either.

B- fully automatic weapons are expensive to buy (grandfathered in relics that cost tens of thousands) and require a year's wait and more $$$ in tax stamps and fees.

C- AR-15 is not high powered, nor fully automatic, nor a military weapon, nor an assault rifle, it's a moderate to low powered semi-automatic, varmint and home protection weapon. It looks scary because of it's cool tactical garb, but underneath the weapon itself is just a hunting rifle with a magazine

D- did the founding fathers plan for the computer and mass media ? so does your first amendment rights to freedom of speech end with the quill and ink? that's a fallacious and silly argument, (and btw, they knew of gatlin gun type weapons and the early attempts at semi-auto)

times may change, but my natural rights to protect myself with firearms does not, neither does the power of my constitution, want to change it? fine, follow the rules and pass an amendment, get it through 2/3rds of Congress and have it ratified by 3/4ths of the states. Something tells me you KNOW this will never happen as 100m+ gun owners would oppose you 100%.

You need to learn about guns before you make one more statement about them as you come off as woefully ignorant of the issue and are making naive and embarrassing cliche'd arguments.
Nick, thank you for the great post.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:10 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

So, I'm going to listen to little snowflakes, who think eating Tide Pods is fun, telling me that my guns need to be taken away from me???? What a bunch of BS. They're blatantly being used by a certain side of the aisle as political pawns, and it's laughable.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:28 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Criminals who do illegal things would love for more types of guns to get banned and out of the law abiding owners...more unarmed people to go after who follow the law

bump stocks i can see being banned but without a constitutional amendment, all of this protesting will only amount to some very narrow law for the political 'victory' and on to the next thing
Old 03-25-2018, 10:23 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:

What’s frustrating about debating are arguments that A. Make such broad generalizations and B. Are done mainly to denigrate the opposite view.

If you do want to have honest debate, a little respect helps. And please, if somebody on the other side is misinformed, HELPING them works a lot better than aggressive condescension.

I have a great deal of respect for Leon allowing this discussion to take place, because while people here may come from all over the political landscape, we share a common interest. I had hoped that would foster constructive discussion, but that is not the case in many responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
What’s frustrating about debating are arguments that A. Make such broad generalizations and B. Are done mainly to denigrate the opposite view.

If you do want to have honest debate, a little respect helps. And please, if somebody on the other side is misinformed, HELPING them works a lot better than aggressive condescension.

I have a great deal of respect for Leon allowing this discussion to take place, because while people here may come from all over the political landscape, we share a common interest. I had hoped that would foster constructive discussion, but that is not the case in many responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried so many times and been ignored so many times that at this point I have concluded it's 100% willful. The opposition simply doesn't care about the facts, they are only interested in the abolition of the 2nd amendment.

ETA: and for the record, I never attacked the man, but rather, his argument.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 03-26-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I have tried so many times and been ignored so many times that at this point I have concluded it's 100% willful. The opposition simply doesn't care about the facts, they are only interested in the abolition of the 2nd amendment.

With all due respect, This is the part I disagree with and don't think is going on generally. That side of the argument doesn't want to abolish all of gun ownership rights. I lean to more gun ownership for protection. But the left is ok with guns just not assault guns, I think. And I think they want a lot more common sense things too which we should all be able to agree on.

Last edited by Leon; 03-26-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-26-2018, 03:37 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:

The opposition is in no way calling for the abolition of the second amendment. That is absolutely false. And how can you complain that we are not interested in the facts when you have the facts all wrong yourself? And you complain we don't listen to you, but you surely don't listen to our concerns, you just preach.

Sounds to be like both sides are equally culpable.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:41 PM

I find it surprising that some people could think of protests as not adding up to much. Women were granted the right to vote, we passed the Civil Rights Act and desegregated our schools and public spaces because of protests. We pulled out of the Vietnam War due in large part to the pressure of public opinion as well. They are extremely powerful statements and the solidarity needed to pull them off is what brings people together for change.

Last edited by packs; 03-26-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:56 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
The opposition is in no way calling for the abolition of the second amendment. That is absolutely false.
If you're speaking for the opposition, then I have a question. You tell us what they don't want (abolition of the 2nd Ammendment), but how about telling us what the do want? All I hear from the left are vague terms like "gun control measures." What does that even mean?

I think that's what makes a lot of gun owners nervous. When the left isn't specific about what they want, then how is the right supposed to interpret that, other than a total gun ban? Again, if that's not what they want, then tell us what they do want. Be specific.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If you're speaking for the opposition, then I have a question. You tell us what they don't want (abolition of the 2nd Ammendment), but how about telling us what the do want? All I hear from the left are vague terms like "gun control measures." What does that even mean?

I think that's what makes a lot of gun owners nervous. When the left isn't specific about what they want, then how is the right supposed to interpret that, other than a total gun ban? Again, if that's not what they want, then tell us what they do want. Be specific.
One thing I would love to see is a national gun registry. There is no logical reason why it doesn't exist, but it is currently against federal law to develop one. The DMV has a national registry for motor vehicles but there is no national registry for firearms.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:09 PM
Barry Sloate

David- that's a very fair question and you know what? I don't have an answer. You are correct that the gun control people can be vague.

But you know what I would like? To have a reasonable discussion with gun rights people like yourself- and I know you know a whole lot more about guns than I do- and not have insults thrown at me. Calling me a snowflake won't get the job done.

All either side wants is for the other side to listen.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:39 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
One thing I would love to see is a national gun registry. There is no logical reason why it doesn't exist, but it is currently against federal law to develop one. The DMV has a national registry for motor vehicles but there is no national registry for firearms.
As a law abiding gun owner, I wouldn't have an objection that, but I'm just not sure what it accomplishes?

To me, it would be just about as effective as a so-called background check.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
As a law abiding gun owner, I wouldn't have an objection that, but I'm just not sure what it accomplishes?

To me, it would be just about as effective as a so-called background check.

I can think of several law enforcement applications. One is simple in that if I shoot you in Texas with my gun that I bought in Illinois, local law enforcement is going to be severely handicapped in solving the crime. Even if I left the gun at the scene, they'd have no way to trace it back to me unless they knew where I purchased it, and even then the state I purchased the gun in may protect me even further. It is unlawful to have any type of database in some states.

Last edited by packs; 03-26-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:14 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
The opposition is in no way calling for the abolition of the second amendment. That is absolutely false. And how can you complain that we are not interested in the facts when you have the facts all wrong yourself? And you complain we don't listen to you, but you surely don't listen to our concerns, you just preach.

Sounds to be like both sides are equally culpable.
this is all just not true.

death by 1000 cuts against our inalienable rights is abolition over time.

"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

and anyone who says "assault weapons" in regards to the AR-15 is either ignorant to the reality of firearms, or purposely lying to garner sympathy.

pick one.

I do not own a single firearm, but i am a veteran and i joined to protect and defend the constitution from enemies foreign and domestic, I believe this duty continues to this day. If you try to take away my rights, I will fight you with my entire being
Old 03-26-2018, 05:15 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
yeah, that's great this way a tyrannical govt will have a nice list in which to round up all those they oppose.. How very Stalin of you....
Old 03-26-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
yeah, that's great this way a tyrannical govt will have a nice list in which to round up all those they oppose.. How very Stalin of you....
That's a paranoid view of the government, no? You have to register benign things like your car, your property, even drones and dogs. But you don't think you should register a firearm?

There are 37 states where you can privately purchase a gun without any form of registration or back ground check at all. Those 37 states should, in my opinion, compel people who purchase a firearm to alert some type of regulatory agency to the fact that they've purchased a gun.

Last edited by packs; 03-26-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:25 PM

Specifics?

Okay. Let's have some! PLEASE!!!

Everyone who has a suggestion, speak up?

The question is this:

WHAT actions will work, in your opinion, to decrease the growing number of mass shootings?

Take any stance you want, just say something that YOU think will work!

I will start us off by believing that thorough background checks could eliminate folks with mental issues from being eligible to own a firearm of any kind.

Their absolute right to bare arms should be usurped by the need to keep others safe from attacks like the kinds we have been experiencing.

To paraphrase what I have stated in my post signature, ALL of our rights as Americans come with an understood equal hand of responsibility and accountability.

Those are words I have lived by all my live and I find it difficult for imagine anyone could make a valid argument against them.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-26-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: readability
Old 03-26-2018, 05:42 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
this is all just not true.

death by 1000 cuts against our inalienable rights is abolition over time.

"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

and anyone who says "assault weapons" in regards to the AR-15 is either ignorant to the reality of firearms, or purposely lying to garner sympathy.

pick one.

I do not own a single firearm, but i am a veteran and i joined to protect and defend the constitution from enemies foreign and domestic, I believe this duty continues to this day. If you try to take away my rights, I will fight you with my entire being
Nick- nobody is going to take your firearms away (ironic to say since you don't own any). All we are looking for is some common sense ways to make Americans safer.

Now that's easier said than done. Certainly strict background checks would help. Changing the age of gun ownership from 18 to 21, on the other hand, is pretty dumb and doesn't accomplish much of anything. And I've long been for a ban against owning assault weapons, but I realize that the bad guys will still own them so that won't work either.

The thing that gets me the angriest is that gun owners are so sure they've got it right that they tune out anyone who even hints at making small changes. Nobody can say for sure that some changes in the laws will make us safer, but I bet a whole lot of Americans would at least be willing to try.

Maybe at the end of the day nothing can be done to stop a crazed shooter from lighting up a school or church, but I hate to think we've given up trying.

The survivors of Parkland HS are at the forefront of a new movement, energizing young people across the country to take a stand and to register to vote as soon as they turn 18. And what does the NRA do? Vilify them and call them a group of radicals. Now that really pisses me off.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:06 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
That's a paranoid view of the government, no? You have to register benign things like your car, your property, even drones and dogs. But you don't think you should register a firearm?

There are 37 states where you can privately purchase a gun without any form of registration or back ground check at all. Those 37 states should, in my opinion, compel people who purchase a firearm to alert some type of regulatory agency to the fact that they've purchased a gun.
anyone who would give up their liberty for the sake of safety deserves neither.

what right does govt have to keep tabs on LAW ABIDING GUN OWNERS?

none

what right do you have to have a list to keep tabs on you neighbors?

I believe you have no inalienable right to own a car, do you? you do to protect yourself.

not to mention that background checks, do nothing to stop crime, gun bans do nothing to stop crime

burden of proof lies on the gun grabbers, btw, I have the bill of rights and the 2nd amendment on my side.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Nick- nobody is going to take your firearms away (ironic to say since you don't own any). All we are looking for is some common sense ways to make Americans safer.

Now that's easier said than done. Certainly strict background checks would help. Changing the age of gun ownership from 18 to 21, on the other hand, is pretty dumb and doesn't accomplish much of anything. And I've long been for a ban against owning assault weapons, but I realize that the bad guys will still own them so that won't work either.

The thing that gets me the angriest is that gun owners are so sure they've got it right that they tune out anyone who even hints at making small changes. Nobody can say for sure that some changes in the laws will make us safer, but I bet a whole lot of Americans would at least be willing to try.

Maybe at the end of the day nothing can be done to stop a crazed shooter from lighting up a school or church, but I hate to think we've given up trying.

The survivors of Parkland HS are at the forefront of a new movement, energizing young people across the country to take a stand and to register to vote as soon as they turn 18. And what does the NRA do? Vilify them and call them a group of radicals. Now that really pisses me off.
maybe enforcing the gun laws we already have?

maybe actually following through when agencies get reports of strange and dangerous behavior ?

maybe securing schools and eliminating "gun free zones?"

why is a courthouse and other govt buildings riddled with armed security (and our politicians) but not schools?

why not deal with the problems instead of trying to take away the rights of citizens.

you may not believe that this is the goal, but it's obvious to any defender of our constitution that abolition is the long term goal of those who oppose the 2nd amendment.

ETA: once again you use the word "assault weapon" please define what it is, in detail

ETTA: why is it surprising that I don't own guns yet defend the rights of my fellow americans? are you only interested in the bill of rights when it applies to you?

Last edited by bravos4evr; 03-26-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
anyone who would give up their liberty for the sake of safety deserves neither.

what right does govt have to keep tabs on LAW ABIDING GUN OWNERS?

none

what right do you have to have a list to keep tabs on you neighbors?

I believe you have no inalienable right to own a car, do you? you do to protect yourself.

not to mention that background checks, do nothing to stop crime, gun bans do nothing to stop crime

burden of proof lies on the gun grabbers, btw, I have the bill of rights and the 2nd amendment on my side.
That is an interesting point but because it's an inalienable right doesn't mean there can't be laws regarding the right. There are many laws that relate to firearms. I'm in favor of a registry. A registry does not suggest repossession or surveillance in my mind.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:54 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Specifics?

Okay. Let's have some! PLEASE!!!

Everyone who has a suggestion, speak up?

The question is this:

WHAT actions will work, in your opinion, to decrease the growing number of mass shootings?

Take any stance you want, just say something that YOU think will work!

I will start us off by believing that thorough background checks could eliminate folks with mental issues from being eligible to own a firearm of any kind.
Only legally. I'm sure if someone is considering shooting up a school, they aren't going to worry about the consequences of owning an illegal firearm.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:05 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Times have changed Schools security should be treated like at airports, prisons, and court houses. But how many Teens died because of texting while driving, alcohol and illegal drugs

Last edited by rgpete; 03-26-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Times have changed Schools security should be treated like at airports, prisons, and court houses. But how many Teens died because of texting while driving, alcohol and illegal drugs
I am all for doing something about those texting while driving. Avoiding those morons is a full time job while driving or going for a walk. I have really noticed how bad it is while walking recently. I would say close to 25% of people I see are on their phones. It absolutely amazes me how there are not way more accidents/deaths because of them.

Last year I had a police officer almost hit me head on because he was playing on his phone. When we passed each other over half his car was in my lane.

On the school gun thing. Now we have a police officer at each school. When I was in HS about 20% of the vehicles(all unlocked) had guns in them and there was never a problem. I live in a rural area so many of us hunted on the way to and from school.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
I am all for doing something about those texting while driving. Avoiding those morons is a full time job while driving or going for a walk. I have really noticed how bad it is while walking recently. I would say close to 25% of people I see are on their phones. It absolutely amazes me how there are not way more accidents/deaths because of them.

Last year I had a police officer almost hit me head on because he was playing on his phone. When we passed each other over half his car was in my lane.

On the school gun thing. Now we have a police officer at each school. When I was in HS about 20% of the vehicles(all unlocked) had guns in them and there was never a problem. I live in a rural area so many of us hunted on the way to and from school.

Ben- I couldn't agree with you more about the texting while driving. But, it's not just texting...it's distracted drivers...I cannot seem to get my brother to stop calling me on his 'hands-free' phone on the way home from work...in Atlanta mind you. He doesn't seem to grasp the idea that 'hands-free' does not solve the problem.

I'm glad to hear your HS never had a problem when you were there...I graduated 44 years ago...and we had fights and racial incidents, but no incidents involving firearms. Some people were injured, but nobody was killed.

But, let's focus on today's world...things are different...people are different.

Let me hear an idea from you, Ben...on reducing campus shootings.

I promise not to criticize your opinion...it's just important to get all opinions out there (here) so they can be discussed in a civilized manner...at least, that is my hope.

-Raymond

Old 03-27-2018, 09:01 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
The opposition is in no way calling for the abolition of the second amendment. That is absolutely false.
Really?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...-repealed.html
Old 03-27-2018, 09:25 AM
Barry Sloate

David- you can always find one person to say anything. The second amendment will not be repealed.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Oh boy- I am going to have to give myself a warning after this.....but let's try to keep it constructive and professional. Here goes

That is not the way the vast majority of liberals (95+%?) feel, from what I have seen. But it is the way many conservatives keep trying to provide a false narrative of the other side. They lump all opposing their view into an ALL or Nothing category and it's simply not that way. Almost all liberals, and conservatives too actually, want guns but they want gun reform. I am on that side. It's really all that can be done to try to lessen the amount of these catastrophes we have. Kudo's to the kiddo's for speaking up. That said they might give some ideas on what to do, while they are at it. I have seen very few saying exactly what would be better except for the background checks and outlawing a few weapons.

Last edited by Leon; 03-27-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Look at the source: Fox News.

Nothing more has to be said.

Mike