NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default 1919 World Series Ticket

Someone is the proud owner of a fake 1919 World Series Ticket

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-AMERICA...p2047675.l2557
Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Boy, that doesn't even qualify as a good ink jet copy! You'd think if you were going to buy a highly collectible item like that you'd be smart enough to do research.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Scott

And the seller is prob off the hook, as he said "he wasn't sure of authenticity". Its just an example of another stupid bidder
Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM

I appreciate posts that out fakes, but it would be even better if you could explain how you know it's fake for us novices. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM

On the bright side...only $2 s/h!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

You are right, I hate it when people write the "+1" or "Fake" posts without saying what is wrong. Half the time I think it is just someone who wants to pretend they are experts.

I'm just finishing my lunch break so I'll try to lay it out fast...

First of all, I believe the back of a 1919 Comiskey Park ticket has printing on the originals, at least the ones I have seen do. It has legal copy about an "act of 1918" or something on the back. That to me is the first thing that jumps out. Second, being a graphic designer by trade, I can make the educated guess that this is a color xerox, or most likely an ink jet, color copy. The background color of the ticket is only on one side, original was colored on both. The "ribbed" paper is an attempt to replicate the light lined pattern in the background of the original which stops and leaves a clear, pattern-free border around the ticket. The orginal was printed on a smoother paper with no ribs like the copy on ebay. The biggest thing to me is the evenness of the printing. The originals had a variance in the ink pressure, this is too even or consistent. The "Q", "89" and the "3" would have been printed with 2 different sets of blocks so the ink pressure and thickness would be varied, at least a little. But, instead of me going on, try a Google Images search for 1919 Comiskey tickets and you can see several, including one close to what this copies, and look at the subtle differences.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
You are right, I hate it when people write the "+1" or "Fake" posts without saying what is wrong. Half the time I think it is just someone who wants to pretend they are experts.

I'm just finishing my lunch break so I'll try to lay it out fast...

First of all, I believe the back of a 1919 Comiskey Park ticket has printing on the originals, at least the ones I have seen do. It has legal copy about an "act of 1918" or something on the back. That to me is the first thing that jumps out. Second, being a graphic designer by trade, I can make the educated guess that this is a color xerox, or most likely an ink jet, color copy. The background color of the ticket is only on one side, original was colored on both. The "ribbed" paper is an attempt to replicate the light lined pattern in the background of the original which stops and leaves a clear, pattern-free border around the ticket. The orginal was printed on a smoother paper with no ribs like the copy on ebay. The biggest thing to me is the evenness of the printing. The originals had a variance in the ink pressure, this is too even or consistent. The "Q", "89" and the "3" would have been printed with 2 different sets of blocks so the ink pressure and thickness would be varied, at least a little. But, instead of me going on, try a Google Images search for 1919 Comiskey tickets and you can see several, including one close to what this copies, and look at the subtle differences.
not too mention the fact that the memorabilia related to this series is INCREDIBLY searched for and collected. Thus, its NOT LIKELY a GENUINE ticket like this could slip through thousands of ebayers. if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its likely Roast duck
Old 05-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanks Gary...that was very helpful.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

No problem, glad I could help. Like I said, I'm sorry about the response without an explanation, that IS annoying!