NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-21-2018, 06:51 PM
Jim McKinley

Default The Set Builder Slog.... 1953 Bowman Edition

Almost four years ago I started by journey of putting together a 1953 Bowman Color set. I was getting back into the hobby and just LOVED how the colors popped and the simplicity of the design. The set is awesome!

What started out as just putting together a raw set became a quest to put together a nice mid-grade PSA set which has now evolved to wanted to build a top 20 registry set... (yes I am one of the suckers that am chasing overpriced high grade commons...)

My question to the other set builders out there is how do you handle the slog which comes towards the end of building a set? I am three cards away from completing the set (#112, 128 & 129). It has probably been 5 months since I bought anything.

What do you do?

- Do you bit the bullet and just buy something overpriced from Dean or another one of the high dollar BIN eBay sellers?

- Start working on another set?

- Just be patient and wait?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Steve

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily....no wait, that was another situation. I would say the latter two of the options you listed. Working on another set will relieve your OCD about the '53's to some extent, and assuming that you are still relatively young, it is very possible that ancient collectors like me will move on to the great cardshow in the sky and their heirs will want to liquidate the remnant moldy assets as quickly as possible, which might result in a juicy set break on the Bay or elsewhere. Patience is a virtue that is especially rewarding in this hobby.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:32 AM
Larry More.y

On most sets, I agree with Steve that the last two options together are a good approach. I have completed many sets and that is the approach I have used. However, I am 25 HI #cards short of completing a PSA 5+ 52 Topps set. Because of the cost of these mostly commons, saving enough funds to afford these cards cause me to be patient and wait. In addition to waiting for affordable copies of the remaining cards to show up, my patience is at it's peak.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Larry P.

Jim, I too am building this set. I built the raw set over 5 years, then got some graded and have been working on a graded set for 2 years.

I take a slightly different viewpoint - the 3 you need are quite tough to find, I would consider splurging a bit for those 3, they only come up once or twice a year mid grade with decent centering.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:35 AM
Bob Andrews

I have found it verrrrry difficult to overcome the urge to overpay for the last cards in a set. With my '59 and '58 builds I hurried to finish without regard to getting value for my $$. But as time has gone by I've gotten better at it. What I've done has been, as noted by others, is to begin my next set and walk away from the nearly completed one for a bit. Then I'll add a card or two here and there.

I'm down to just a handful of needs for my 1970 basketball set so when I troll eBay or COMC for my many 1979 needs I will add a card from that hoops set if I can. When that one is done and my '79 set gets closer to completion I will shift focus to my 1962 set as my 'one at a time slowly' goal.

I have starter lots of '61 and '75 baseball and a stack of '54 Bowman football which I haven't even looked at yet. I'll take them on one at a time as I finish my three currently 'open' sets. It's like an endless chain. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 08-22-2018, 02:07 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I'll blend previous advice....

The first questions I would ask myself are 1)how available are the cards I'm looking for in the condition I'm looking for them in? 2) When they come up for sale in that condition, what have they sold for (looking for sales within a 12 month time frame - vcp or PSA auction history).

If the cards as Larry suggested earlier rarely come up for sale or are within about 20% of what they sold for and available from a "high priced seller", I would probably pull the trigger. If they come up a little more regularly or are "available" -but grossly out of line (>20% over) with past sales - I'm going to anticipate waiting 6 months to a year to try to buy them right.

The tougher the card (given the condition I want it in), the more likely I am to have an itchy trigger finger. The easier the card, the more likely I am to have great patience.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Jim McKinley

Default Great advice

Thanks all... great advice. I think I may resort to the drinking heavily...

I may go ahead and start something easier... maybe a 1947 Tip Top Bread set... wait a minute...
Old 08-23-2018, 08:19 AM
Fred

I usually start another set-not always my best decision. but I like getting new different cards

I am about to start 54 and 58 topps and have been scouting the sets out. I will then have all of the 50 topps sets either started or finished but for the 52 high numbers.

this will be a slog I am sure but what else am I going to do?

I believe I am also going to sell any lingering 60 topps sets/cards I have to stream line. I hope

good luck and don't overlook drinking heavily that could work too
Old 08-23-2018, 09:07 AM

I would just buy PSA 6s that are on EBay and then upgrade later. For me, it is a relief to be completed. I just completed a t205 set that I had been collecting for over 30 years, although I was really only trying to complete it for the last 4 years. I ended up taking some lower graded cards because the cards weren't available in the grade I wanted. I have found that it isn't too hard to sell the old ones when I find better graded ones.