NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default Good Luck to Everyone on the New Board

Posted By: Jamie Boneparth

I must admit that I prefer the old one. Sorry!

That said, I will use whichever forum is in use. But I think that the old one has a better feel, loads faster, had better threads and conversations, and was simpler to use. Also I don't like that you have many pages for each thread in the new forum. This one has a far higher "readability". Yes, the new one has some features that I like, but I feel that they are less important than a great feel, high readability, and simple use.

Plus, I just feel that this old board has more character... and that it might go best with the feel of "old cards". I enjoy this board a lot more. I do appreciate that the moderators took a lot of time to set up the new one. But I think "K-I-S-S" is the best policy, even with trolls.

I am young and consider myself tech-savvy. But it's just my opinion. Please don't say that I'm a stick-in-the-mud, in fact I own a Mac. I will still offer to get people set up on the new one. Sorry, but this is just my personal opinion... don't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Cheers!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Folks, the new forum is still a work in progress. We're going to try to address as many of these issues as we can, but we've been focused on the terrible performance issue first. I'd ask that you hold off on making any decision about which format you prefer until we are able to attempt to address some of these concerns. I have no doubt that, in its current state, due to the performance issues, the overwhelming majority of us prefer the old forum to the new one.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie Boneparth

Okay, I will try to reserve judgment... though I should say that I have used that board before, since it's used on BigSoccer.com, so I am already familiar with it. It's just personal preference. But I will at least try to reserve judgment...

Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

Hey all,

Give it a shot. It's extremely easy to use. Posting a message and even adding photos is easier than this board. Granted, it's the same v-bulletin type of site that the Game Used Forum is on (which I have been on for several years), but you will all get the hang of it. Feel free to contact me if there is anything you might need help with.

Rob L

http://www.freewebs.com/loefflerrd/

Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Jamie, as someone who routinely had to deal with the trolls (mainly just one disgustingly persistent one) - keeping it simple will be a lot easier on the new board.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Matt,

Out of curiosity, is it possible to go to a fotmat where when you read the posts it goes to a light background and then a lightly shaded one--really, the readability is far superior on this board.

Jim

Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Jim - As an educated guess, it 'should' certainly be possible - we just haven't had a chance to look into those types of customizations yet for me to give a definitive answer. I definitely understand that is something that was helpful to people on this forum and we will check it out once the speed issue is resolved. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say the new forum is not yet a finished product.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Thanks for your response Matt.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Thanks Jim and my best to you, you will get used to it but I do feel your pain, Dan.

<spanwww.danmckee.com/pictures/types001.jpg>

Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Saying the new board is slower than this one is like saying my car with 2 flat tires is slower than my car with 4 good tires. I like the "look" of this one better too. That aside there is no comparison and when the new one gets the speed issue fixed it is so much better it's not even a debate. Is this one easier? OF course it's easier, it doesn't have anything we can do....AND I wasn't looking for one that had so many bells and whistles but all new forum software does. I guess if you like a Model T it would be simpler too....no power steering, no turn signals, no anything...Folks, it's the 21st Century. Also, remember this is a move I DIDN'T WANT to make either. It was out of necessity. It is broken whether you know it or not.....regards

Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Leon,

Just to be clear, I am not questioning your decision. The clear majority seems to like it and is willing to be patient. And although I do not remember seeing a poll, you said 80% of people wanted to switch. All I said is that it seemed to much for me(I am just getting to grips with 1990s technology and we now watch DVDs in addition to the tapes) and it visually is very unappealing with lots of features that I would rather not have.

I wish you all the best and may come back at some point.....and stay on top of the card alteration and shady auctioneers please. happy.gif

Best,

Jim

Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

In another thread, Leon said one of the reasons this website "sucked" was because he cannot do "sticky" threads, but I have to say I am not crazy about them either -- just another clog between my first click onto the site and my first click onto a new thread.

The "home page" for the new website has just one thread that you see before you have to scroll down and it is the "sticky" thread. When you enter the old website, on the home page ("above the fold" in newspaper parlance) you see 4 or 5 threads before you have to scroll. The importance of speed to goal over the internet is so important.

I'm really not trying to be a fly in the ointment. I just hope that some consideration is given to what really made this website an enjoyable experience for so many. You use the analogy of new cars, but I use the analogy of Google. I also happen to really like the Firefox home page for the same reason -- simplicity and efficiency.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visithttp://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

T206,

I agree--I hate the sticky threads. PSA many times has sticky threads at the top on the Set Registry Message Board and it is one of the features that I hate about it.

Jim

Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Administrator

After the kinks get worked out on the new board I don't really see too much use for sticky threads. I don't particularly like them either.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

there will only be 1-2 sticky threads anyway, though.....it's not like Leon's gonna put 40 sticky threads that causes you to go to another page. I think the benefit they bring of alerting members to changes/etc, outweighs the minor amount of grief you have getting past them. But.....to each his (or her) own........

A wise man once said........change represents the loss of known satisfactions........

Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Good enough. Once the kinks get worked out I do feel you will like the new forum if you come over. It's your call obviously. As for stickys....Ya'll won't be seeing too many of them but I think during the severe issues we are having it's a good thing to let folks know what is going on. Heck, we can do a poll for just about anything on the new board....after we get passed the main slowness issue...I am very unhappy at not having it fixed yet...but it is somewhat out of my hands.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Is the new board down?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Jay - it appears that way p. The vBulletin guy was trying to fix the performance issue and it seems he broke something.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I believe it is down. I can't get on.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

I've been off this board since the new one launched and was surprised to see there are still long threads evolving over here. So for what it's worth, let me give my thoughts on the new board:

I'm not crazy about it. While it can do myriad new things that the old board couldn't, all I really ever did here was read threads and respond. I don't need all those new thingamajigs and likely won't use them. And the slowness problem has been so bad that I've thought about leaving until it is up to speed.

I know there was bad support over here from the Net54 tech people, but now that I am posting I have to say I like the old one better. Now I'm only one guy, older and crankier than most, but I thought I would throw in my three cents.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Barry - as was stated many times above, in it's current state, most of us agree with you, but it's not a fair comparison, we need to work out the speed issue and then address usability issues so it's less cluttered, easier to read, etc.

For all those noticing the board is down at the moment, not that it matters too much, but it seems only the main pre-war forum and the test forum are down. If you go here:
http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php
all the other forums are OK.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 04-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Administrator

That's fair Matt, but like I said I just like to read the board. That's the way I enjoy it. All the other features are nice but chances are I won't use too many of them. It's a great board for more tech savvy users.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

When I'm on the new board I usually click on a link, go outside and run around my house a couple of times, go back inside and then it is usually coming up. My wife thinks it's a great way for me to get exercise!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

the main forum is down. Oddly enough the memorabilia is working fine and relatively quick. If Leon HAD any hair, I'm sure he'd be pulling it out by now............

Old 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Hi Barry,

We are exactly alike in our style--all we do is read threads and respond--and that is all I ever wanted of a board. Perhaps though we are in the minority and most like the bells and whistles(those tech savvy guys). What you are saying is what a number of us older less tech savvy guys have been saying in recent days. Welcome back--lets hope Leon leaves this board open for a while longer!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the welcome back Jim, but if I understand correctly this board will be shut down shortly.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Barry--yup, thats true. I am sure new board will work out well for you.

Good luck and maybe you'll have something in your auctions I can buy soon.

Jim

Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

I hope it's just a case of the tech guys working on the new board, but I just took a look a minute or so ago and looks like we lost about 9 days worth of postings.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Because of several people continuously whining like little babies I tried to do a repair and hit a restore in the Database. We might be hosed. I am not sure I want to try it again. We might come back to this one then I will consult a few folks and see if there are a few certain people that will be banned from Net54. I erased what I really want to say about the whining asses....

Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Dan- I just went on and the posts on the main page are from 2005. It looks like it blew a fuse.