NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-25-2017, 08:44 AM
GaryPassamonte

Default OT-Ross Barnes Memorial Dedication

This past Saturday a memorial honoring Mount Morris NY native and early base ball pioneer and star Ross Barnes was dedicated in a local park. Close to 100 people attended. Yours truly was the speaker. As many of you know, I have long campaigned for Barnes election to the Hall of Fame. Who knows if that will ever happen, but at least there is a form of recognition in his hometown. A vintage base ball game was played following the dedication ceremony.

Leon- You can move this, if you think this is not the appropriate place for this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5200.jpg (78.7 KB, 208 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 08-25-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:50 AM
GaryPassamonte

A picture of the game. At age 60, I still held my own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5235.jpg (76.6 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 08-25-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Very cool, Gary. It is certainly appropriate here and is a wonderful thing. Happy collecting...
Old 08-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Great post Gary. Honestly I had never heard of Ross Barnes, but love to look up stats after posts like this and also read some history on the player. Good stuff.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:17 AM

I saw the pictures on Facebook. That's a very nice monument. RB for the Hall!
Old 08-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Barry Sloate

Well done Gary. Gary and I were discussing the uniforms, and I said they very much resembled the ones worn by the Live Oaks of Rochester, who appear on the cover of the 1860 Live Oak Polka sheet music. Sure enough, that is in fact the models that were used by the person who designed the ones for this game.

Great that you are keeping Ross Barnes name in the public eye. That is probably the first step towards getting him elected to the HOF. I think his inclusion is long overdue. His career matches up or surpasses other 19th century players who are already in.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Great stuff Gary. More pics of the game if you have them.

Did you go full 1860's? Front foot pointed towards the pitcher, hands separated, 48" bat?

Rob M
Old 08-25-2017, 10:07 AM
GaryPassamonte

I've tried to post more pictures, but most won't upload. They must be too large.
We played with a pitcher's box 45' from the striker's line x 49' from the striker's line making it 6'x4'. Each batter was required to straddle the striker's line. You couldn't over run first base and foul balls could be caught on one bounce and be an out. Of course, the fair foul hit was used. This was Barnes' signature advantage. I was told the rules we used were from 1868. That's me pitching.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5241.jpg (76.7 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 08-25-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:12 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great job Gary! Barnes absolutely deserves inclusion in the HOF as one of the dominant players of his era.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Well done Gary. Gary and I were discussing the uniforms, and I said they very much resembled the ones worn by the Live Oaks of Rochester, who appear on the cover of the 1860 Live Oak Polka sheet music. Sure enough, that is in fact the models that were used by the person who designed the ones for this game.

Great that you are keeping Ross Barnes name in the public eye. That is probably the first step towards getting him elected to the HOF. I think his inclusion is long overdue. His career matches up or surpasses other 19th century players who are already in.
I bet there are some people in this world who wouldn't recognize the uniforms of the Live Oaks of Rochester as shown on the cover of 1860's Live Oak Polka when shown a photo of last weekend's game.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:27 PM
GaryPassamonte

Here's a photograph that better shows the Live Oak uniform. We locals had to mix in with the Live Oaks. That's why some don't look of the period. I do have a nice team shot, but it won't load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5217.jpg (76.7 KB, 114 views)
Old 08-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I bet there are some people in this world who wouldn't recognize the uniforms of the Live Oaks of Rochester as shown on the cover of 1860's Live Oak Polka when shown a photo of last weekend's game.
But it might give them a reason to do a little research.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:24 PM

Congratulations Gary on a job well done! The memorial itself is absolutely beautiful. If you don't mind me asking, was there some type of fundraiser/banquet to help fund the purchase of the memorial?
Old 08-25-2017, 04:03 PM

Default Barnes

Very nice!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:34 PM
GaryPassamonte

With one exception, all funding for the monument came from businesses, organizations, or individuals that either live in Mount Morris or have a Mount Morris connection. I'm very proud of the community for stepping up.
I should add that the reverse of the monument has a full body engraving based on Barnes' 1872 Warren cabinet photograph. I wish I could load the picture of it. It is very impressive.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 08-25-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
With one exception, all funding for the monument came from businesses, organizations, or individuals that either live in Mount Morris or have a Mount Morris connection. I'm very proud of the community for stepping up.
I should add that the reverse of the monument has a full body engraving based on Barnes' 1872 Warren cabinet photograph. I wish I could load the picture of it. It is very impressive.

I bet it is! When time and technology come together, I would love to see the back of the memorial. That is great that the community stepped up. Just a wonderful story!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:56 PM

Fine, fine effort by Gary and the community.
Gary, where exactly is it in town? Bellamy Park?
We'll make a point of checking it out next time we're at Letchworth...
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl

Last edited by Butch7999; 08-25-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:50 PM
GaryPassamonte

It's in the small pocket park on the corner of Main and State Streets at the stop light.
I go to Letchworth almost every day!

Tennis Guy- Send me your email address and I'll send you Pictures of the reverse.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 08-25-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Wow Gary, fantastic memorial and unveiling!, complete with a period correct game. Looks like a lot of fun for everyone. Congrats on getting Ross Barnes some well deserved attention and recognition.

I too would like to see the team picture and the back of the memorial. I will post them here after resizing them if you don't object. detroitwolverines@gmail.com
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 08-25-2017, 10:11 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Gary- What a wonderful effort! I've been a fan of Ross Barnes for several years. If I'm not mistaken, he is credited with the very first National League home run.

We don't have much appreciation for Baseball's distant past here in SEC territory...what a shame.

Looks like you had a lot of fun with it and went first class all the way! Thank You for sharing the details. I hope an image of the monument other side becomes available soon. The front was very well done.

Congrats!

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Here is the other side of the monument and the team picture (a little small, hosted on Net54 which limits size to 600x600 pixels). Both look great.

Thank you Gary.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 08-26-2017 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Added 3rd picture
Old 08-26-2017, 10:09 AM
And.rew Whi.te

This is awesome Gary! Although I live no where near you I wanted to thank you for putting in the effort and keeping the name of Ross Barnes alive!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:45 AM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Thank You Gary

....for sharing this event with us. It is also good to put a face on the emails exchanged!!