NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-06-2016, 07:35 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Default My experience with investinbaseball, a Net54 Advertiser

Sean reached out to me, and despite this thread, he offered me a card on my want list. I have to say I commend him for extending the olive branch, and he didn't let this thread get in the way of making a deal. I greatly appreciate it.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 12-19-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I just wanted to share my last two buying experiences with Invest in Baseball, an advertiser here on the boards.

In March I purchased a card via Buy in Now. I received a message from the seller saying

"Ted, I can't sell you that card... My lister grossly mispriced it."

I really didn't think anything of it, as mistakes do happen. I cant remember exactly, but it sold at auction less than 20$ over the buy it now price.

This take me to last night where a see a few well priced low pop cards via Buy it Now, as well as some HIGHER priced low pop cards. I can tell someone had done some homework, and I figure the "lister" is no longer "mispricing" cards. I thought I would give them another shot.

I hit the BIN for four cards, and pay. About 20 minutes later, all four sales, canceled, and refunded, with a note from the seller asking me if

(I am) "Republicaninmass from Net54".

Now this tips me off that because he has seen my ebay ID buying his cards, he ran to check past sales, realized his error, and is now going to simply "fix" his pricing errors. Apparently these types of "pricing errors" happen all the time.

Seller states

"It (pricing errors) happens many times a day. I do nothing but program spreadsheets and type numbers all day and mistakes happen"

Moments later, I then get a somewhat convoluted message saying

"Thank you for catching my pricing errors"

I dont know if this was meant to be funny in some way, but it provoked me to post.

Let me mention that Invest in Baseball has never brought cards to market that I can't find elsewhere, from sellers willing to sell at their advertised price. I will not be "buying", or "catching pricing errors" since I've never had a sale go through, on any more deals from this seller.

I think it is appalling that since I am on a message board, where the seller advertises mind you, my purchasing habits are scrutinized, and subsequently penalized, more so than someone who is not familiar with all the intricacies of buying and selling cards.

I'm not a huge buyer or seller on ebay, and I'm sure my business won't be missed. However I can't help but out of curiosity, wonder how many people, especially those from N54, might have come across these "pricing errors".

"You weren't the only person that had an order cancelled"

Good luck with your future business, I refuse to be a part of it.

Ted Sherman
That is crazy that the same thing happened both times. Unfortunately he is selling another members T206 lot and this news could hurt that members sales.

He is on my do not buy from list also and has been for a while.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Jeff

So if I infer correctly, he thinks you only hit the BIN on underpriced cards so anything you buy must be mispriced?

Thanks for sharing.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Yeah that's a joke but atleast you get to leave a ton of negative feed back .
Old 02-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I sent a link to Sean to see if he would like to respond.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:25 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Default Iib

For what it is worth, I have done several transactions with them and all of them have been very smooth..
Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 AM

I have helped Ted get into shows for free prior to public access, given him free cards for autographs for emergency situations, and bought and sold to him in the past with no issues. For you to post this thread shows that no good deed goes unpunished.

A 1952 Topps Eddie Mathews was purchased for $650 among 7 other items that were cancelled. I had to cancel orders for three different people and pull the entire 1952 Topps set down. This was an isolated incident and you can see in our completed listing the entire set was pulled down late last night. We had to get tech support on the phone and had an emergency with the errors on this set. 100% of the items that "sold" were cancelled and this member was NOT singled out.

This was a gross spreadsheet and pricing error and you refused to accept that answer. I am so sorry that you could not let some pricing errors slide. If anyone would like to see a copy of my upload spreadsheet to in fact verify what I have said, I am more than willing to provide it.

Here is a photo from last night on our website showing how wrong these errors were:

Here is a photo showing the cancellations and the set being taken down (you are not alone):

Last edited by Sean1125; 02-06-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Default My experience with Invest in Baseball, a Net54 Advertiser

Never once had an issue dealing with Sean. He's personally gone out of his way to help me with other dealers or collectors on several occasions.

Looks like an error that's affected a significant amount of his items, makes sense to correct it and relist.

Last edited by atx840; 02-06-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:48 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Looks like an error that's affected a significant amount of his items, makes sense to correct it and relist.
Not taking sides here, but I think Ted's frustration is that this is the second time in a row this has happened. If that happened to you twice in a row from the same dealer, wouldn't you be frustrated? Again, not taking sides, so that said, Ted could have been more reasonable given Sean's past generosity to him.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:14 AM
je.sse @rnot

How far below market value were the prices of the cards you tried to buy? I'll admit I would be upset if this happened to me twice in a row, especially from someone who advertises on this site. But if I was trying to take advantage of an obvious pricing error, I think I would just let it go.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Default My experience with Invest in Baseball, a Net54 Advertiser

I can understand the frustration. I've had purchases canceled due to what I assumed was the seller realizing it was me and suspicious they somehow missed out on a hidden error/scrap "gem" that I spotted.

Sometimes they where correct, usually not but I wouldn't post about it.

This does not look like one of those situations as Sean has a legitimate reason and did not single out anyone.

Last edited by atx840; 02-06-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:14 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

He is on my do not buy from list also and has been for a while.
This is probably the best way to handle this problem, there are way too many others to deal with. Why bother with the ones you don't like or trust.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:27 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

I had had issues with Sean in the past, but if its an obvious pricing area no matter on the amount of cards than its understandable...if you were a consignor to Sean you wouldn't want your card sold at 10% market price you would want him to cancel the sale as an example..

if i had done that to you, i probably would of given you a coupon discount like 10% on future orders though to keep you happy
Old 02-06-2016, 12:56 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I sold a bunch of cards to Sean only a few weeks ago. I said if they weren't as I described to let me know. He actually gave me a little extra cash after the fact because he thought they were a good deal to him. He's been fabulous and honest to deal with. I've had sellers cancel purchases because of a mislisted item probably 5 times. It happens.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:59 PM
Matt

I have had Sean find me high dollar and low dollar cards over the years; I have had him help me sell when I needed to sell a piece to get a new one, and didn't have the bandwidth due to work-- and he's always been upfront, honest, and diligent. He responds promptly when I reach out, and I would recommend him to anyone.

He's a dealer, so he will never pay a collector's price, which is an important thing to keep in mind when a collector is trying to sell TO any dealer. As opposed to THROUGH the dealer. Though once we were able to match numbers on a larger deal, and he wired high five digits in my account immediately. That action talks.

Anecdotally, at a show once I saw him give a customer extra money, after he paid for and then bumped a card. I remember remarking to myself that not many dealers would do that, well after buying a card. I felt it was a stand up gesture and I felt it telling of his character.

Seems there was some kind of clerical error here, as opposed to anything nefarious. If I saw cards that were listed in such error on eBay I might hit the BIN, but I would understand if the seller saw and asked to correct his mistake, seems reasonable.

Last edited by MattyC; 02-06-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Barry Jock

Ebay is a contract. There are legal obligations for both the buyer and the seller. The seller, in this case, breached the contract. Not only is it legally wrong for him to do, it is ethically wrong. It's also bad taste.

Ive made pricing mistakes on ebay as well. I met my obligation and took the hit. (and no, they weren't only mistakes of a couple of bucks but a significant amount) I then scanned my remaining items for pricing errors. It was the right thing to do.

At worst, the seller should have first asked the buyer permission to cancel the purchase. If the buyer did not want to then the seller was legally (and ethically) bound to sell the item.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Barry Jock

Past "good deeds" or "he is a stand up guy" or "Ive had great dealings with him in the past" does not matter...especially when he just did exactly opposite of the claim. People DO make mistakes but how you handle the mistake makes the difference.

You should not treat anyone differently just because you think that you can get away with it for the reason that you are a part of a similar community.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeno7 View Post
Ebay is a contract. There are legal obligations for both the buyer and the seller. The seller, in this case, breached the contract. Not only is it legally wrong for him to do, it is ethically wrong. It's also bad taste.

Ive made pricing mistakes on ebay as well. I met my obligation and took the hit. (and no, they weren't only mistakes of a couple of bucks but a significant amount) I then scanned my remaining items for pricing errors. It was the right thing to do.

At worst, the seller should have first asked the buyer permission to cancel the purchase. If the buyer did not want to then the seller was legally (and ethically) bound to sell the item.
I am not certain of legal issues, but see no moral problem with correcting an obvious pricing error. This is a common practice in other industries, and even websites such as Amazon.com. I work for a car dealership. If an ad is posted with an incorrect price, we print a retraction. I remember a used car worth around $25k getting priced at 2,500. We received several calls and emails the next day. We did not sell the car for 2,500.

I see a moral problem with someone trying to take advantage of a seller's honest mistake and buy a card for 10-20, or even 50% of its value. Like Matt said, had I seen a card like that on a BIN, I might have hit the buy button. But I certainly wouldn't hold it against the seller when he catches the mistake and cancels the sale.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I am not certain of legal issues, but see no moral problem with correcting an obvious pricing error. This is a common practice in other industries, and even websites such as Amazon.com. I work for a car dealership. If an ad is posted with an incorrect price, we print a retraction. I remember a used car worth around $25k getting priced at 2,500. We received several calls and emails the next day. We did not sell the car for 2,500.

I see a moral problem with someone trying to take advantage of a seller's honest mistake and buy a card for 10-20, or even 50% of its value. Like Matt said, had I seen a card like that on a BIN, I might have hit the buy button. But I certainly wouldn't hold it against the seller when he catches the mistake and cancels the sale.
I agree. People seem to have an issue with a seller not honoring the sale of a misprinted item but no one takes issue with a buyer looking to take advantage of that mistake and then sullying the sellers reputation on a public forum for not taking the financial hit?

Honest mistake made. I would want the buyer to be understanding if I was the seller in this case.

Last edited by GregC; 02-06-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Barry Jock

Quote:

Really? You see a moral problem with the buyer in this case? SMH.
And no, there is no problem correcting a price BEFORE it sells. Like I said, the seller could have asked permission to cancel and if the buyer did not agree then the seller had the obligation to go good on the sale.
This is not a car for sale of a mis-advertised price. It is a collectible on an auction/selling website that has an explicit contract.

This type of thinking is why I have distanced myself from this hobby 90%.

Last edited by yankeeno7; 02-06-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:21 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
And no, there is no problem correcting a price BEFORE it sells. Like I said, the seller could have asked permission to cancel and if the buyer did not agree then the seller had the obligation to go good on the sale.
This is not a car for sale of a mis-advertised price. It is a collectible on an auction/selling website that has an explicit contract.

If it was an obvious error for well below the market value of the card, then yes, I see a moral problem with not only trying to take advantage of that mistake, but then taking the next step of posting in a public forum in attempt to hurt the seller's reputation. Bad form in my opinion.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 02-06-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Todd Schultz

Default I see a probem

Quote:
Seller states

"It (pricing errors) happens many times a day. I do nothing but program spreadsheets and type numbers all day and mistakes happen"
Unacceptable.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 02-06-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Barry Jock

Quote:
If it was an obvious error for well below the market value of the card, then yes, I see a moral problem with not only trying to take advantage of that mistake, but then taking the next step of posting in a public forum in attempt to hurt the sellers' reputation. Bad form in my opinion.
If it happened only once, ok, I would let that slide and the buyer did. In fact, he let it slide and gave the seller another opportunity only to have the same thing happen again. Bad form to out the seller? I disagree. Tough to call if a pattern but the seller himself came here and said that he has multiple mistakes every day. How often is this happening? Is it ok for him to continue to do it to many buyers every day? Now the pattern is there.

The seller has hurt his own reputation by his own doing. Quite a liberalistic approach to not let the seller have any responsibility.

There are deals on ebay all the time. Mistakes, people looking for quick turnover, what ever the reason. Is the buyer suppose to know this was a mistake? Should he be messaging the seller to tell him that he thinks his prices are too low? It's unreasonable to put that on the buyer.

Last edited by yankeeno7; 02-06-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Jeff

Ted is obviously performing a valuable quality control function here.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

It seems we have opposite views on this one so perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree.

I will add that a seller who has 1000s of cards listed will probably make a few mistakes per day, I know I would. If a potential buyer is actively searching for them I'm sure he could find them. It may not just be a coincidence this happened twice. That being said we don't really have enough information to make that determination as the OP hasn't mentioned what cards he tried to buy at what price. Sean said one was a 52 Eddie Mathews for $650. As 1s usually go for over a grand, and this could have been a nicer example, I probably would have canceled that transaction as well.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:07 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Jesus Christ. People are human and are going to make mistakes. Life is way too short to get hung up on this or to take it so personally.

Move on.

I don't understand why this is being aired publicly.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

pretty simple stuff...

ya'll have dealt in the past. don't let your prides effect the outcome. is it worth losing a customer/dealer/fellow collector over who was actually right or wrong?

sean:

slow down. take your time. do it right the first time. the issue isn't the pricing error...it's the fact that it seems to be happening way too often and it IS frustrating. for most it's a hobby...people don't want unnecessary headaches when it comes to collecting. that's what work is for (see all the hoops, screenshots ya had to provide). offer to send ted a reasonable store credit for the repeated headaches. it wasn't his fault. if ya'll work it out and he buys another card that you've made another mistake on...own it, eat it and send him the card regardless.

ted:

haven't really looked to see if they were grossly underpriced errors and if they were set wide as stated. if he has genuinely helped ya out in the past, then it is three strikes, you're out. take a store credit, keep him on his toes and perhaps give him one last shot. but if he screws that up, then....

edit to add: thanks for posting, ted. i don't see anything wrong w/ it.

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-06-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
If it was an obvious error for well below the market value of the card, then yes, I see a moral problem with not only trying to take advantage of that mistake, but then taking the next step of posting in a public forum in attempt to hurt the seller's reputation. Bad form in my opinion.

I totally agree.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Legally, if the mistakes are blatant errors, like listing a $1000 card for $10.00, a seller is usually able to cancel a transaction based on the obvious mistake. An objectively clear mistake is grounds to rescind a contract. If the numbers are a lot closer than that, though, like $650 instead of $1000, and the mistake is one of degree, it is a lot harder to prevail.

That said, from a customer relations perspective, canceling orders and telling a customer "too bad" is a poor idea. When I make a mistake with a client I do some sort of make-good.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Be.n C0z1n

I actually saw the 52 Mathews. Spoke to my wife in the next room. Explained that we might be a few hundred dollars poorer, and then went to buy the card literally 2 minutes later and it was gone. Never thought it would come up here in a thread.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Jesus Christ. People are human and are going to make mistakes. Life is way too short to get hung up on this or to take it so personally.

Move on.

I don't understand why this is being aired publicly.
Then you should read the posts more carefully. We're a vintage baseball discussion board and we discuss vintage baseball cards. We've been discussing ebay sales here for over a decade, and sellers who also participate on this board and who advertise here, are even more susceptible to discussions. Odds of being discussed go up exponentially when they make mistakes. Not sure how you could have missed any of that.

Ted, thanks for posting.
Sean, thanks for responding.
Everyone in-between, thanks.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:56 PM
Jason Wells

Seems like alot of mistakes,my bads,and misunderstandings seem to follow this seller. Just saying.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Then you should read the posts more carefully. We're a vintage baseball discussion board and we discuss vintage baseball cards. We've been discussing ebay sales here for over a decade, and sellers who also participate on this board and who advertise here, are even more susceptible to discussions. Odds of being discussed go up exponentially when they make mistakes. Not sure how you could have missed any of that.

Ted, thanks for posting.
Sean, thanks for responding.
Everyone in-between, thanks.
Thanks.

I did read the posts, and understand this is a vintage baseball discussion board discussing vintage baseball cards.

Businesses are going to make mistakes, and consumers need to understand that just because a mistake was made, the business can tell the consumer that a mistake was made and the price should be.....A business may not always take this course, but they certainly have the right to do so.

However, some people will piss and moan over pricing and raise a fit. Regardless of what the item is and the price involved, the business somehow " owes " it to the consumer to sell the item at the marked price. That's just not the case and it's an unreasonable expectation for a consumer to assume that.

We just have different views about how this was handled.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
and no, there is no problem correcting a price BEFORE it sells.
The problem with that is, on obvious pricing errors, the listing sells within minutes, if not quicker!!! Sorry, I am on Sean's side with this one.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:47 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

This thread reminds me of the '75 Brett thread a few months ago. Anyone remember that? A buyer bought a PSA 9 '75 Brett RC on eBay for $500 (normally a $1500? card).

It was a pricing error by the seller. How did the seller handle it? He honored the sale. Here are his own words:

"The George Brett card in question came from my collection . I am slowly selling many of my graded single cards as well as other ungraded cards .
My son has been selling cards for awhile and I asked him to handle the transactions for me at a commission percent . I would give him the cards with descriptions and prices and he would post them. The Brett card in question was given to my son to sell for $1500.00 BUT he misread the price and posted it at $500.00 and it sold immediately before I could proofread his postings to check for accuracy and proper pricing. When I noticed the error I wanted to cancel the sale for the gross error in the price but my son and I decided to live with our error and let the card go for the $500.00 in order to prevent a potentially bad situation from eBay and the buyer .
I am sure if we had canceled the sale for the pricing error he would have been mad too and notified eBay ...so you see we were in a lose - lose situation ."

There is no legal obligation to complete the deal. Moral obligation? Yeah, somewhat - maybe not to complete the deal, but to do something for the customer (sell at/slightly above cost, discount on another item, or something) especially when it happens 2 separate times.

If we went to a store to buy something and we get to the register to pay and the item rings up significantly more than the posted price and the store refuses to honor their price, it might leave a bad taste in our mouth. If it happened on 2 separate occasions, then the customer has a legitimate complaint.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:46 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Just to clarify a bit

TWO items in question

One was a Frank House "Yellow tiger" BIN at 7.95

Most didn't know about this error until they saw my sig line, and saw threads addressing it on these very boards, I've since removed it from my sigline to prevent other pricing errors. I understand that a seller can't know every price of every card, therefore LOW POP cards and VARIATIONS can slip through the cracks. That is unless you see a N54 buyer, who you know personally, hit the BIN within seconds of an item being listed.

Recently there was a Charlie Maxwell PSA 7 priced at $117, a bit high for a PSA 7, right?

Until you see a N54 member hits the BIN within seconds of it being listed. Then checking VCP only to learn that it is a very low pop card and it sells for close to $300.

Honorable mention: Thinking back...

The very first time this happened was the seller's partnership with Greg Morris cards. Named seller was informed that there was a Cass Michaels gray back listed in Morris' 1952 topps set break. I was the high bidder and the auction was taken down due to a "listing error". No explanation no nothing.

I've bought countless cards via ebay BIN and auctions, including these types of cards as well as other errors. Many from major sellers, such as Dean's cards, Joes vintage Sports Cards, Kit Young, etc and the only pricing error that has ever come from a specific seller, albeit twice, who knows me and what I collect personally from these very boards. That is the one variable and it's absurd.

The real kicker was his text message, after I refused to respond to him through email...

"Thanks for catching my pricing errors".

Again, my purchases should not be scrutinized because I am a member here and myself, as well as my collecting habits are known personally. The seller has admitted he doesn't check the listing price, but he checks when the item is paid for, before being shipped.

Aside from these listing/pricing errors, there isn't anything of interest from the seller, so my revenue will not be missed.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:54 AM

Ted was provided a free card + express shipping (to make absolutely sure he had this card for an autograph session) for catching the Frank House error. I do not see this mentioned anywhere and thought it would be pertinent to point out.

During the Cinci national Ted was lost outside. I received many phone calls and texts from him. I interrupted an hour of my most critical purchasing time to get him into the event for free and ensure he had directions and a great show.

100% of the orders placed were cancelled. Ted was not singled out.

Mistakes happen.

The entire set had to be pulled down. There was over $40,000 in pricing errors due to some formula errors and a spreadsheet shift.

Ted is out of line for trying to abuse the situation.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:06 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

"Caught" the Frank House error...

You meant "Bought" right?

There was no spreadsheet error as 99% of the cards were prices correctly, or I would have bought those as well, and they would have been cancelled as well. Don't insult my intelligence.

Maybe you should stop hiring people from Craigslist or offering minimum wage to have kids run your "business".

Thanks for the $8 card, and getting me into the national. But I thought, as you mentioned, that was reciprocity for sticking up for you on the PSA boards. Remember how frightened you were when there was the (those) negative threads and you asked me to post something positive?

Next time try these guys

http://www.reputation.com/

Just my .02 cents, which again won't be missed

Old 02-17-2016, 12:58 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Just to clarify a bit

TWO items in question

One was a Frank House "Yellow tiger" BIN at 7.95

Most didn't know about this error until they saw my sig line, and saw threads addressing it on these very boards, I've since removed it from my sigline to prevent other pricing errors. I understand that a seller can't know every price of every card, therefore LOW POP cards and VARIATIONS can slip through the cracks. That is unless you see a N54 buyer, who you know personally, hit the BIN within seconds of an item being listed.

Recently there was a Charlie Maxwell PSA 7 priced at $117, a bit high for a PSA 7, right?

Until you see a N54 member hits the BIN within seconds of it being listed. Then checking VCP only to learn that it is a very low pop card and it sells for close to $300.

Honorable mention: Thinking back...

The very first time this happened was the seller's partnership with Greg Morris cards. Named seller was informed that there was a Cass Michaels gray back listed in Morris' 1952 topps set break. I was the high bidder and the auction was taken down due to a "listing error". No explanation no nothing.

I've bought countless cards via ebay BIN and auctions, including these types of cards as well as other errors. Many from major sellers, such as Dean's cards, Joes vintage Sports Cards, Kit Young, etc and the only pricing error that has ever come from a specific seller, albeit twice, who knows me and what I collect personally from these very boards. That is the one variable and it's absurd.

The real kicker was his text message, after I refused to respond to him through email...

"Thanks for catching my pricing errors".

Again, my purchases should not be scrutinized because I am a member here and myself, as well as my collecting habits are known personally. The seller has admitted he doesn't check the listing price, but he checks when the item is paid for, before being shipped.

Aside from these listing/pricing errors, there isn't anything of interest from the seller, so my revenue will not be missed.
I find it interesting you make a big issue on the fact that the Carlie Maxwell was a low POP card...and you stated my Basgall PSA 8 was ridiculously overpriced and the fact a card sold for more at Heritage in December was from a schmoo.....obviously POP matters....you complained about the Maxwell right there...the Basgall black back is one of the lowest POP PSA 8s out there.

i know you dont pay 1000s for a single 1952 topps common typically and are really only on the look out for bargains......i listed a card at market price and you complain.....then you try to buy a ton of cards way under marketprice on an obvious error in price......if you are only looking for bargains thats fine but no reason to comment negatively on cards that arent being sold at bargain basement..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-17-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:40 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
This thread reminds me of the '75 Brett thread a few months ago. Anyone remember that? A buyer bought a PSA 9 '75 Brett RC on eBay for $500 (normally a $1500? card).

It was a pricing error by the seller. How did the seller handle it? He honored the sale. Here are his own words:

"The George Brett card in question came from my collection . I am slowly selling many of my graded single cards as well as other ungraded cards .
My son has been selling cards for awhile and I asked him to handle the transactions for me at a commission percent . I would give him the cards with descriptions and prices and he would post them. The Brett card in question was given to my son to sell for $1500.00 BUT he misread the price and posted it at $500.00 and it sold immediately before I could proofread his postings to check for accuracy and proper pricing. When I noticed the error I wanted to cancel the sale for the gross error in the price but my son and I decided to live with our error and let the card go for the $500.00 in order to prevent a potentially bad situation from eBay and the buyer .
I am sure if we had canceled the sale for the pricing error he would have been mad too and notified eBay ...so you see we were in a lose - lose situation ."

There is no legal obligation to complete the deal. Moral obligation? Yeah, somewhat - maybe not to complete the deal, but to do something for the customer (sell at/slightly above cost, discount on another item, or something) especially when it happens 2 separate times.

If we went to a store to buy something and we get to the register to pay and the item rings up significantly more than the posted price and the store refuses to honor their price, it might leave a bad taste in our mouth. If it happened on 2 separate occasions, then the customer has a legitimate complaint.
So we're expected to hold the seller to a moral compass, and not the buyer? I would hope we want the seller and buyer on the same moral ground.

If we look long enough and hard enough, pricing errors can be found in ANY business. There are shoppers ( on the internet or brick and mortar ) who troll looking for those mistakes and try to take advantage.

Businesses are not in business to give things away. Most reasonable customers understand that. It falls back to, if it's too good to be true then it probably is, in terms of the price in relationship to the item.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:26 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
There are shoppers ( on the internet or brick and mortar ) who troll looking for those mistakes and try to take advantage.
Do you honestly think the OP was trolling around on eBay looking for price mistakes? If so, what makes you think that?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Do you honestly think the OP was trolling around on eBay looking for price mistakes? If so, what makes you think that?
This is also what I think, and what the OP seems to indicate in his own post.

"Aside from these listing/pricing errors, there isn't anything of interest from the seller, so my revenue will not be missed."

Sure sounds to me like he's only interested in prices that are obvious mistakes, or well below market value. He also seems to be hoping sellers won't notice rare variations, another mistake he can take advantage of. He is correct in that this type of customer would not be missed by any business.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Eric Perry

Last edited by Eric72; 02-18-2016 at 04:48 AM. Reason: NM
Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

he isn't "trolling" looking for pricing errors.

what he's basically saying is that he feels he's being targeted for his purchases after he has made them only to have the seller recheck the value of the card(s) or if it's a certain variation of the card once he sees the op's name has made said purchase solely because that's the op's niche. "hmm, why's he buying this card?"

again, i didn't waste my time looking at the cards/prices in question...but not taking sides one way or another on this one, even w/ the mantle.

but i think anyone would naturally feel the same way if it kept happening on a repeated basis.

however, to say he's "trolling" looking for pricing errors is simply unjust at this junction.

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-17-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:45 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
he isn't "trolling" looking for pricing errors.

what he's basically saying is that he feels he's being targeted for his purchases after he has made them only to have the seller recheck the value of the card(s) or if it's a certain variation of the card once he sees the op's name has made said purchase solely because that's the op's niche. "hmm, why's he buying this card?"

again, i didn't waste my time looking at the cards/prices in question...but not taking sides one way or another on this one, even w/ the mantle.

but i think anyone would naturally feel the same way if it kept happening on a repeated basis.

however, to say he's "trolling" looking for pricing errors is simply unjust at this junction.
You may be right, and the OP is the only one who can say for sure. My take is that he was looking for cards that were priced below their market value, either by mistake, or the seller being unaware of the added value of a variation.

My guess is that he was trolling for pricing errors, but I do not have enough information to make a definitive statement.

I stand behind my initial assessment that if this was the case, it was inappropriate to write a post complaining about the seller catching the error.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:20 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
My take is that he was looking for cards that were priced below their market value, either by mistake, or the seller being unaware of the added value of a variation.
So what if he was? Isn't that what eBay is all about, looking for deals? Or are you one of those buyers that when you search, you sort by "Highest Price First"?

You need to look at the poll on the main board. There is nothing wrong trolling eBay looking for bargains (cards priced below market value), looking for errors in listings (misspellings in title or key words), unknown variations, etc. That is what eBay is all about.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-18-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:14 AM

If the seller is going to say the list price was simply a mistake and that means they have no obligation to honor the sale, I'm curious how the same seller would respond to a bidder who claimed they simply entered the wrong bid amount.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:16 AM
Ben North

Quote:
So what if he was? Isn't that what eBay is all about, looking for deals? Or are you one of those buyers that when you search, you sort by "Highest Price First"?

You need to look at the poll on the main board. There is nothing wrong trolling eBay looking for bargains (cards priced below market value), looking for errors in listings (misspellings in title or key words), unknown variations, etc. That is what eBay is all about.
+1 I thought looking for bargains was part of collecting.

Now for the more fun question how many posters in this thread that stuck up for the seller was asked to and/or received compensation for doing so from that seller?
Old 02-18-2016, 07:17 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If the seller is going to say the list price was simply a mistake and that means they have no obligation to honor the sale, I'm curious how the same seller would respond to a bidder who claimed they simply entered the wrong bid amount.
That's a great point!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

All I do is look for cards that are priced wrong or that I can bid for below what it's worth ! That's the name of the game . Any buyer that gets a good price is not doing anything wrong . I don't know the sellers reasons for the price listed . Maybe they want a quick sale , or they got it on the cheap , or its consigned and the price doesn't matter to them . The seller is in the wrong period . Your errors in life are your to live with . If someone benifits from it it's not there fault .

Just leave terrible feed back and check back in for more chances . Either the mistakes will stop or the seller will .