NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Default Sellers Statements that really Irk Me

Posted By: joe brennan

I found this auction and since the seller was new, I thought I would point out the true value of the card he is selling. Heres my e-mail, item and his reply.

When I first saw this auction, I was very interested as I would like to add this card to my collection. After I read your discription I could not let this go. You stated "Book on this awesome card is over $1500 in this condition." I'm sorry book on this card in this GRADED condition is $192. Figuring a 10% increase of late does not come close to the $1500 figure. I would love to own this card but if your reserve is over this #, I doubt any knowledgable vintage collector will be owning it. Regards Joe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5237668028&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

Dear Mr. Know it All. Man does not live by Lemke alone. Not the entire world lives by the same grading book you do!!! Beckett says that this card is worth this much, if you don't beleive me, check it out for yourself,if if won't make you feel you are lowering yourself or your standards by opening up a Beckett Grading Almanac or even Becketts smaller book. Regards right back to you.

Nice way to treat a potential customer.

After re reading my e-mail maybe I came across in a condesending way. I was just pointing out the differences in an ex+ price and a fair price. Was I way out of line?
BTW I did check out Beckett and $1500 is for a exmt example.

Moral Values " What would you do if no one was looking? Only you would know" Instilled in me by James W. Brennan Sr.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

My guess is that the market for that card is more than the $192 figure you quoted, but substantially less than his $1,500 pipe dream. He isn't the first eBay seller to have no clue on value and he certainly won't be the last. Even if your letter carried a softer tone, it wouldn't likely have been accepted as anything other than an attempt to "steal" his card.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 09-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

T206 Johnson portraits show up pretty regularly so I would just pass on this one and wait for a more user friendly seller. He will find out in a few days what its true value is.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Administrator

After his reply, I planned on passing on this auction and all his in the future. I'm sure he feels the same way about me. I thought it was a nice looking card for a lower end and under $250, would match my budget. I'm sure there will be another one in the near future that will suit me. I guess I pushed the wrong buttons for him.

Moral Values " What would you do if no one was looking? Only you would know" Instilled in me by James W. Brennan Sr.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If he is going to use a Beckett guide, then best learn how to use it too.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The seller is either a liar (intentionally misstating the value of the card) or a fool who doesn't know how to read a price guide.

Edited to say:

Although you had to know the auction was of dubious quality right from the start because he closes with the scamster's friend: "God Bless".

Old 09-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'd expect to at least be form Ohio, or at least Hawaii, instead of Texas

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Why is Texas so big?

Because you can't cram all that white trash into Rhode Island.

Don't get it? I'll speak a little slower.

Just kidding, my Texan friends Put your guns back in their racks, open another Lone Star and get back in your damned trailers...

Hey, I live in the land of flakes, fruits and nuts where the only culture is in the yogurt...

Old 09-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

His response mentions Bob Lemke.

Odds are that this is either someone who got kicked off from another seller's account or who is an experienced seller who doesn't want to use his primary account to run these sleazy auctions because it would be bad for business long-term.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Stay away for that reason alone.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

When it comes to vintage cards, is there a RIGHT way to use Beckett?

Old 09-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

but it is fairly common and despicable practice to list the "HIGH book value" as "book value" for a lower grade card. And there is always the posibility that he really doesn't know how to read a price guide...

Old 09-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Well, I was wrong, someone read the $1500 and thinks its a bargain. It is a nice looking card and by what I can see in the scans not creased across the face. But I still think it is taking advantage of someone who doesnt know the true value or I am wrong about the real going rate for the card. Private auction doesnt hurt either. Cant tell if its a regular buyer of vintage or a new e-bayer. Hey, I guess I spoke too soon about the real value and I'm man enough to admit it.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

However, I don't believe I would have sent him an e-mail like that Joe. If I don't like how someone lists something, I simply don't bid. No sense in complaining about someone's listing - especially if you want it (really makes you look bad).

I remember when I sold my Old Put Cobb on eBay, someone had the audacity to e-mail me offering me $1500 for the card. They stated "I don't care that the card has an Old Put Overprint on the back. I only want the card for the front and the last VG E98 Cobb sold for $1500". NOW that PERTURBED me! So, I sent that idiot an e-mail back stating I paid over $3k for it and if he doesn't care about the overprint, then don't buy it b/c I am not taking a cent less than the starting bid. I also told the idiot I would pay him double his offer for another Old Put Cobb in an SGC 40 holder and not to bother e-mailing me again, b/c I didn't want his business. Heck, I guess the next T206 Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb back I see, I will ask the seller to sell it to me for the "regular" Cobb price for that condition, b/c I only want the card for its front!!!!!

Sometimes people can complain over petty things, so I tend not to let any listing bother me - not even the blatant reprints. Afterall, I have better things to do with my time on eBay than to e-mail sellers about things I don't like that they put in their auctions - like, finding some good deals!

Old 09-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Scott, I agree with you 100%.