NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Bruce:

Your mention of the SCD Customer Service Award is quite serendipitous.

I recently won on ebay the bound version of the first four years of Lew Lipset's The Old Judge newsletter. I know Bob Lemke is a frequent reader and poster to this board and this in no way is meant to disrespect him, but in Lew's Opinion column of that first issue in 1985, Lew raised the point of the dubious nature and true value of the aforementioned Customer Service distinction. It was a sentiment that readers (at least one of whose opinion [so far] appeared in print in a subsequent The Jurors Write column) agreed with.

If someone like Alan Rosen is an SCD Customer Service Award recipient, one might wonder what the award is supposed to mean and what service he is supposedly providing his "customers" given the negative impressions he has left on so many of this board's members.

Kevin

Old 12-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I don't think we should reward anyone who endorses that loser!!! I stopped getting the weekly SCD newspaper 2 years ago. I know Steve Verkman used to buy from him years ago but he says they do not do business anymore... I believe him as I always see Steve running around the room buying things.. I have never seen Kit running around the room now that I think about it.. I just see him sitting in a big chair that a KING would sit in behind his table.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Barry, he singled you out for the hate-mail because you are a well known auction person with a high reputation.

I won a card from him once, in one of his incredibly inmcomvenient and unpleasant auctions. He yanked the phones at 12 0r 1, and everyone knew it, so you couldn't get through on the phone for the last 45 minutes. No call-backs. nothin. The next day he called me PERSONALLY to tell me I'd won the card. (after running an auction like it was on a shoestring).

Nice card; a bit O/C high.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Dan Koteles

that is a wonderful card. As soon as you want me to have it , just let me know.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

I knew the grade at one time; but without a list, i've forgotten. I believe it was lower than i had thought, and Rob pointed out that the centering wasn't perfect--which I'd never noticed!

Old 12-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Anonymous

nice card.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Scot

I have an autographed made in china picture ball. I know, two shots in the arm for bragging. Intertaining offers. Please No suggestions!

Old 12-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

Next time I'm playing basball with a bunch of friends can we use your ball? I promise it will probably end up in the ditch but I'll have fun smacking that thing around.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Scot

If spit ball pitching comes back you have a deal. Edited to say, To be fair to Mr.Mint this was the only auto dealer ball I could find at the National many years ago.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

I've consigned virtually ALL my cards to REA, April is next auction. Reason: I am broke. I can get advances. They picked them up, got almost all of them graded. Mark Macrae took on consignment or bought what I didn't give REA, and what REA didn't want. My collection now consists of (well, technically, I still have the cards that have not been sold yet):

1) Monty Sheldon Hoss Radbourn Artball. Which I love.
2) 1 T206 Dougherty. Ditto.
3) 1 shabby 1935 4 in 1 Ruth Goudey, for sentimental reasons
4) one album of hockey cards and photos
5) 2 albums of Japanese cards and photos
6( junk from 1980--present (not all of it was junk; Mark took some of it).
7) World series press pins: 55 brooklyn Dodgers; '74As; '89 As; 2004 Red Sox;
2005 White Sox.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

this thread is about Rosen-not your collection!
please remove all of this before Zach wakes up and moderates sternly.

e-mail this to Dave instead.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Chad

The guys that sits next to me at work is a close friend of Mr. Mint's by way of toy robots. When he found out I collected cards he said, "Then you must know my buddy, Mr. Mint." Of course I had, but only because of mention of him on this board. Should I give him any messages to pass along? (I'm kidding about passing alsong notes! Personally, I've never had any dealings with the man, but it's odd that with all the easy access to information about the value of cards these days, people would still allow themselves to be fleeced by him or anyone else.)

--Chad

Old 12-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: tbob

I just hope he reads this board, I have the feeling he has a very inflated self-esteem and this dose of reality might be an eye-opener for him. The geek...

Old 12-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: John S

He reads the board....I just received an email from him. My comments regarding last year's Robert Morris show must have struck a chord (unless he has emailed all of us and I am the first to comment). As an optimist, I can only hope that our negative comments and concerns regarding his abuse of the hobby will have a positive effect.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: jay behrens

He's been like this for 25 years or more. I really doubt he is going to change because of this thread or for any other reason. Money menas everything to him and it's been a profitable m.o. for him, so why should be change? Personally, I couldn't live with myself if I acted the way he does.

The only thing that will change for him is when it's no longer profitable for him and he moves on to some other endevore. He will be a low class scumbag preying on the innocent and ignorant until the day he dies. Thinking about it for a bit, I just realized this is a the defanition of a con man.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

Jay,

Do you have anything nice to say about anyone? Whatever happen to if you do not have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all?

I know there are some people who have had their share of issues with "Mint" but your comments just seem so aggressive and venomuous.

Its like you take more pleasure in going off on someone then giving someone a compliment.

You might have some anger issues that need to be addressed.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Shannon

Charlie, Jays just keeping with the thread. As usually you arent. You seem to like confrontations with certain people on the board.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: bigfish

Al dropped me a line as well. I really have no issue with the guy other than his arrogance rubs me the wrong way. People have said the same about me. If all of the stories above or true, it is sad.

How much does his auto go for on ebay?

Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Chris Counts

I just checked eBay, and you can pick up a signed mock 1952 Topps "Mr. Mint" for $2.99 plus $2 shipping ...

Old 12-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Chris Counts

Oh, and by the way, a signed bobble head figurine of Mr. Mint is also available for just $9.99 ...

Old 12-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Several people have written me about the CJ Brown, --which came from a Mint auction.

Didn't mean or try or succeed in highjkacking the thread...

Old 12-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Thomas Walcott Sr

This guy is varmant the way he treats people it really makes me sick
how can the show promoters allow this arrogant idiot to set up.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Brian c

My first memories of this hobby include Mr. Mint... and they are good ones. Back in 1990 i bought a Jim Brown signed football from one of the ads Rosen had in SCD. Also, i remember a TV show in late 1990 or 1991.. Allen and Reggie Jackson hosted it, and Allen said that one of his favorite cards was the 1953 Boman Color Pee Wee Reese.. and i agree on that.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Leon, Charlie is picking on me :-p Dude, you need to grow up. Seriously, you do. I'm sure if Zach had chimed in on this thread you would have gone after him too. If anyone has issues, it's you and your fascination with me and Zach.

I dislike very few people. Even people I have had major disagreements with I generally like or are at worst indifferent to. Rosen has earned a special place on my hate list for the way I've seen him treat others and his condescending attitude towards me whenever he tried buy cards from me, expecting me to sell him cards wholesale because he is some sort of big shot.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: I Love $9 Buffets

I personnally feel this whole thread is completely out of line.

Alan Rosen has probably done more positive things for this hobby than this entire board as a whole.

Is it possible that everyones derogatory remarks come from envy?

He is ressponsible for bringing some of the finest material into the hobby and other than one comment by "Jamie" the nicest comment any of you have to say in that he looks like Howy Mandel....

"Kojak" would have been much funnier and I suggest one of you use that the next time you guys bash him.

I May not know a lot about "Mr Mint" but I can tell you he does not where fake leather jackets...
I think the board should know that.

The board should also know he is a strong payer for many items.
If not why is it that the nation's biggest dealers line-up every show to sell him a deal?

I can not say that about anyone else.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:43 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Gee, thanks Al for the ringing endorsement.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: base2base

GET EM SEABASS!!!!

Old 12-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

I can guarantee this is not Mr. Rosen which is more identifaction than you gave.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: leon

all posters in this thread should see the forum rules for remaining anonymous.....thanks...moderator dude

Old 12-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

I can guarantee that this is not Al Rosen, also. There, now we are both equally anonymous. I can also guarantee that this is not several other people...now do you believe me Al...oops sorry, i forgot, you are not Alan Rosen, the most disliked person in the industry. (Leon, please note that all comments in this post are fact, not opinion).

edited by leon to say...per board rules it doesn't matter if it's a fact or not...you can't be anonymous in this thread...anymore anonymous posts will be deleted....

Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: John

Boy you guys are horrible, less you guys forget all the amazing things Mr. Mint has done for the hobby and society for that matter.

I remember the first time I met him he had just come out of a burning building filled with elderly crippled people, saving all of them by the way. I still remember it like it was yesterday dashing and into the flames you could hear him ask, “What’s in the bag in the drawer you old bag!”

Musical influences, not a lot of people realize that before Ringo Al was the 4th Beatle, Al left the band over creative differences between he and Lennon. In fact it was Sinatra who said “Al is alright by me, now if we could only get rid of that tool Joey Bishop!”

Al being the extremely attractive heartthrob & multi faceted actor that he is, has also taken a few steps back out of the limelight, do give less attractive/talented actors a chance to make a living. Not many people are aware that Ridley Scott had planned on Al playing the role of Maximus in the movie Gladiator.

Al also is one of the world’s foremost medical experts, each day pioneering breakthroughs in surgical procedures and treatments. Al also sets up at local medical shows where he buys and pays top dollar for organs, nobody beats his prices paid on organs!

Sure we all know the first guy on the moon, but the last. Yes you guessed it was Al, he also made the rare hobby find of the first plaque placed on the moon which was later sold by Rosen for top dollar!

Big heart, not only has he done all these things, but amazingly this man finds time to give back? Al trains or competes in the Special Olympics I don’t remember which. But you can assure yourself that its special either way!

So go ahead throw your stones!

Old 12-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi John,

Very funnny......, but you have way too much time on your hands.

Be well Brian

Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Dan Koteles

you may beda funniest mo fo inna bidnuss.

Thanks John or "classic JOHN"

Old 12-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

I don't know which is funnier..
John's images or this quote...
.... "He (Mr. Mint) is responsible for bringing some of the finest material into the hobby"...

...so all this fine material would have been thrown away or lost for all of eternity without him and his glorious full page ads?

you make it sound like he invented the whole concept of collectibles...LOL

Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

NYKid, I'll apologize to Rosen when HE apologizes for HIS crass, rude behaviour over the past 25 years and promises to never again berate the elderly, or anyone else that won't sell him their cards as soon as they walk in the door. I'm not gonna hold my breath though.

You can put a pig in a dress, but it's still a pig.

Jay

Old 12-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Mike McGrail

I shot coffee thru my nose laughin at the pics! Great work

And NY Kid, if you really think the Rosen has done more for the hobby than the folks on this board, you need to back away from the crack pipe.

Mike

Old 12-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Alan Rosen is my hero

hey there Mr. New York kid...maybe you didn't see my edit of your post above. I said no more anonymous posts in this thread. I don't care if they are facts or not....thanks...moderator dude

Old 12-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: David McDonald

Not to mention he was a helluva ballplayer!

Old 12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

John,

My wife just called up from the first floor asking me what was so funny.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Dan Lundrigan

I gotta get in on this!This is hilarious!
Dr.Evil Rosen and Mini Mint!

Old 12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Anson

You guys better stop it or Al will send you a nasty autographed photo, bobble head, bumper sticker, fountain pen, back scratcher, stress ball, slinky, etc.

John, I nearly wizzed myself looking at your pics. Nice job!

Old 12-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: FYS

I am seriously thinking of setting up shop and taking a cut out of Mr. Rosen's business. I am not certain which direction I should take however. Option:

1. The Alternative Nice Guy Buying Machine?
2. The Even More Aggressive "Take of Up a Notch" Buying Machine?

What do you think?

Old 12-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: bigfish

just went pee in my pants. That was very funny

Old 12-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Adam Smith

Alan Rosen is such a jackass. He is the biggest joke in this entire industry. Is there any dealer who gets less respect than Mr. Mint?

Old 12-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Just think how much better this hobby would be WITHOUT him! He does not do it for the love of the GAME... Just for the GAIN! If he was not around for the last 20 years.. All other dealers would have made the same finds and probally have done a better job distributing it. Becuase he has made a living (not anymore I hope) ripping people off... I t has attracted other people like him to surface and try doing the same thing in slightly different ways... Thank you Ebay and the E-net... We have no more you for Mr. Mint. Wish I could have a table next to his at every show... Here in America we have freedom of speech and I would definetly use it!

Why has every Mr. Mint thread been around 100 post strong? I guess people do not forget.

JC

Old 12-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

we'd sometimes have to stop for a freight train,. and there were sometimes as many as 150 cars on one train!

Do you suppose this thread will have any effect? It's been known to happen...

Old 12-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: David Davis

honor Mr. Mint for his large deposits. Sure enough, I went to their web site and found this photo. Looks like the banners they display for World Series teams.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: John

Old 12-08-2005, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

I had to do it...

Old 12-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Alan Rosen

Posted By: BcD

can New Jersey hold? It is close to sea level!