NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Zach

Default Hobby related injuries

Has anyone else ever bled for baseball cards?

Just had my first near miss. I've had this Ted Williams card residing in a PSA 1 holder for a long time and decided I wanted to set him free. I grabbed my trusty SOG Seal Pup and proceeded to crack the slab. My coworker was asking me a question at the time and apparently I was paying more attention to him than the razor sharp blade in my hand.

Slip... stab.

If I bleed to death I would like Leon to arrange for the sale of my collection. Leon, you can keep a % for yourself and the rest of the proceeds should go to my kids (but nothing for my wife... she calls me a nerd for collecting cards).

Old 05-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have had similar injuries. I think one time I was bearing down on a screw in a screw down holder (for my faked reprints) and the screwdriver slipped and I got a puncture wound. It happens!!

And if I ever were to be in the (sad) position of helping dispose of a collection for an estate, I would always do it for free. It would be an honor.....but something I hope never happens.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Zach

Thanks, Leon. You're a true gentleman. I've got a tourniquet wrapped around my bicep and I'm keeping my hand elevated above my head. I might just pull through this.

The good news is that Ted is free.

P.S. - my last wish is that I be buried with one of your Cafe' Du Monde cards

Last edited by ZachS; 05-02-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Forget the hand. Did the card come out unscathed?
Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Well, it was a PSA 1 to begin with.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Thanks, Leon. You're a true gentleman. I've got a tourniquet wrapped around my bicep and I'm keeping my hand elevated above my head. I might just pull through this.

God forbid something happening but a Cafe de Monde card will be in one of your cold hands as they lower you into your final resting place .

Old 05-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Belltown Vintage

Only one for me: Over a decade ago I was creating Old Judge reprint sets. I think I was up to the third series, had subscribers - everything was going great. Then I nearly cut the end of a finger off on the very last cut of the last set I was creating. The good news was that I was able to satisfy all the buyers, the bad was that the Emergency Clinic costs exceeded the cost of the entire project. So I stopped.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Bill T.

What's the big deal? It's only a flesh wound.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Jason S!m@nds

I was once stupid enough to try to crack a PSA case with a box cutter. The blade slipped and practically took a chunk of my thumb with it. Luckily, everything healed alright, but I almost passed out when it first happened lol
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Zach

Quote:
He was sort of 'scathed' prior to this whole incident but he didn't suffer any additional damage if that's what you're asking.

He's still a solid 1.

For the record, my first thought wasn't "oh no I just cut myself" it was "crap! did I just slice the card?!"

Last edited by ZachS; 05-02-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:

Ted may be free, but his head is still frozen.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Just had my first near miss. I've had this Ted Williams card residing in a PSA 1 holder for a long time and decided I wanted to set him free. I grabbed my trusty SOG Seal Pup and proceeded to crack the slab. My coworker was asking me a question at the time and apparently I was paying more attention to him than the razor sharp blade in my hand.

Slip... stab.

If I bleed to death I would like Leon to arrange for the sale of my collection. Leon, you can keep a % for yourself and the rest of the proceeds should go to my kids (but nothing for my wife... she calls me a nerd for collecting cards).

Forgive me. Didn't you ever listen to your mother? Don't play with sharp objects!

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 05-02-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
LMAO! To the word, the exact same thing I thought when I saw the picture. What does that say about me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Well, it was a PSA 1 to begin with.
Yeah, but, it's Ted Williams, Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Ted may be free, but his head is still frozen.
That's just wrong, lol.

Zach, seriously, I'm happy that you're ok. I, too, have had a mishap with a knife. No, it was not baseball related. I was a prep cook at a restaurant in Denton, TX called Good Eats. One night when I wasn't paying attention, I cut the tip off of the middle finger of my left hand instead of the grilled chicken breast I was supposed to be cooking.

Whoops.

I had to go to the hospital, and they stitched the finger up by sticking the fish hook + stitches through the fingernail. It had never even dawned on me that you could stick a needle through a fingernail and all the stuff below it. Apparently you can.

My finger throbbed like hell for three days straight. I don't recommend you do it.

Be careful!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-02-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Ed McCollum

Default Only possible injury I could foresee

would be if my wife found out how much I have actually spent on cards. That could be pretty gruesome.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Mike

Quote:

Slip... stab.

I find it best to sterilize such wounds with alcohol...........from the inside out.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
I find it best to sterilize such wounds with alcohol...........from the inside out.
Reminds me of Bluto from Animal House: "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily"

I may try your method later tonight.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:03 PM

Did it cross anybody's mind to call the SWAT team to save the card from any possible harm?
Old 05-02-2014, 02:05 PM
Ken McMillan

Paper cut for me?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
God forbid something happening but a Cafe de Monde card will be in one of your cold hands as they lower you into your final resting place .

I didn't know CDM made cards.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Barry Sloate

I once got a hernia from lifting the REA catalog.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I was wondering if bruised egos from investing in Ron Kittle or Brien Taylor rookie cards counts as a collecting injury? I have never collected cards but the first things that popped into my head were paper cuts and hypoglycemia from too much gum!!!!!!!!

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I didn't know CDM made cards.
Back off, buddy! I already called dibs.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Mikeknapp

I have never suffered an injury playing with baseball cards. However, a number of years ago I purchased a worn autographed Steve Carlton Phillies jacket. I discovered that while opening the box I managed to cut a hole in it. I was so angry with myself I kicked a chair and promptly broke my big toe.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Justin Burleson

My first hobby-related injury occured at the ripe, old age of nine. It was Christmas night, and my parents had fallen asleep on the couch, and I decided it was time to open my new candy-cane full of gorgeous packs of early 90's baseball cards. Oh, the potential value!

I took out my (also new) Swiss army knife, and set in to trying to free these treasures. Unfortunately, the knife slipped, slicing my ring finger. Nothing to serious, but it was quite tramatic. Thankfully, no blood on any cards. Although, I distinctly remember throwing boxes of '90s commons into a dumpster... I'm sure these were amongst them. I still have the knife, though.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Jason Wells

Only bad things can come from cracking a slab with a near Bowie knife.

Last edited by Jason; 05-03-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 PM
T0dd M@rcum

First to Zach...on PSA slabs, use a pair of pliers or channel locks to break off a corner, pry with a flat head screwdriver.

The scourge of dealers, certainly in the 1980s and 1990s and still to come degree to day is chronic top load hangnail. I remember at one point having to tape my pointer and middle finger on several occasions. There were also times that carpel tunnel syndrome from screwdown two pieces seemed like a sincere likelihood.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
I have never suffered an injury playing with baseball cards. However, a number of years ago I purchased a worn autographed Steve Carlton Phillies jacket. I discovered that while opening the box I managed to cut a hole in it. I was so angry with myself I kicked a chair and promptly broke my big toe.

That is a terrible day.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.