NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Bradley Holt

Default 3000+ members and only a few posters

I would like to hear some insight from new members as to why they might hesitate or reframe from starting new threads or replying to posts.

Is it because some new members might feel the fear of being ridiculed for expressing there views and/or asking questions about certain controversial issues? Is there a sense this board has more then a few regulators keeping legitimate new members from feeling welcome?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

I'm lazy.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Frank Wakefield

Way to ask a question that needed asking, then 'regulate' it with your provided answer...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-21-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM

A sudden lack of interest in baseball cards could be a possible reason.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by V117collector View Post
I would like to hear some insight from new members as to why they might hesitate or reframe from starting new threads or replying to posts.

Is it because some new members might feel the fear of being ridiculed for expressing there views and/or asking questions about certain controversial issues? Is there a sense this board has more then a few regulators keeping legitimate new members from feeling welcome?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
Only about 1300 are real registered members. The others are program generated registrations that go into a banned folder. If I deleted them then they could re-register. I am not sure why anyone would write those programs to register but they do. It makes for a bit of work to weed them out. As for the 1300 or so real folks and only part of them participating I think Jeff hit the nail on the head. Also, many people just don't want to join in the fray. They would rather just lurk and that is their right also....I doubt it's because we have too many regulators. Actually, it could be the opposite from what I am hearing....regards
Old 08-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Scott Levy

Default Way too much drama -- way too little chatter about cards

That is my answer!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Todd C

I also think that some people do not respond based on their collection and budgets in spending on cards.

It's obvious there are some very nice collections and cards that are out there. There is only a small percentage of the members on this board that can actually afford to buy those.

No response can possibly be attributed to:

1. No interest/knowledge in a certain card issue.
2. Lower budget ( not able to afford the Cobb, Wagner, Ruth, Gehrig, Johnson, Jackson, etc. )..
3. As Leon put it...some choose to lurk
Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Jason Albregts

I'm new here and seeking knowledge. And yes, I fit into the category of "small budget collector". I will pipe in from time to time if I think I can add to the conversation though.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Sounds like a conspiracy to me.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles Guy View Post
I'm new here and seeking knowledge. And yes, I fit into the category of "small budget collector". I will pipe in from time to time if I think I can add to the conversation though.
Just ask questions if you don't know-as anyone here can tell you I've posted a zillion silly questions here over the years but at the end of the day have gottne a good answer to about everything I have asked.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I'm definately in the "lurker" camp. I guess main reason is that unfortunately I don't have the knowledge most have here so my input becomes mostly opinion and well you know what they say about those. . Another reason I guess is I like to watch train wrecks as opposed to join in on them. I will say that most issues brought up are valid and should be discussed. But they eventually end up "train wrecks". I guess there is just no way around it.

I will take this time to say thanks to all the regular posters. I do appreciate the knowledge that is shared and hopefully some of it will eventually rub off. I should contribute more when I can and I will try to do so in the future.

Cheers
Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Dan Carson

Default Drama!

I agree with Scott, to much drama. then it turns to name calling so forth so on. (childish)
Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Michael C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carson View Post
I agree with Scott, to much drama. then it turns to name calling so forth so on. (childish)
Yup. Very few posts other than BST....mainly because most threads turn into flame fests.

Sorry- if someone could get control over those threads, I'm sure more people would want to talk cards.

IMHO

(and I'm sure someone will flame me for my opinion now
Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I dont post here much because I am not activly collecting pre war cards. This is not for lack of interest but lack of funds. I try to pop in here 2-3 times a day and rarely post because my knowledge of the subject matter is significantly less than most, although I have been collecting for 35 years.

My knowledge is mostly 50's on up and would love to collect pre-war but I am a guy who loves to complete sets. It would drive me nuts to do the T-206 set and not be able to complete it because of the big 3!! I dont know how everyone else does it! LOL
Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
Barry Sloate

Too many Communists!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not so easy to get "control"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
Yup. Very few posts other than BST....mainly because most threads turn into flame fests.

Sorry- if someone could get control over those threads, I'm sure more people would want to talk cards.

IMHO

(and I'm sure someone will flame me for my opinion now
It's not so easy to get "control". As anyone who has ever moderated knows whenever a decision is made, choosing to do or not do something, then someone gets upset. My general rule is as much "hands off" as can be...Good, bad or indifferent, that is the way it is. I also don't think there would be more posts or threads if there were more "control". No flaming here...I am just giving my view of the subject. regards
Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Leon...at the risk of sounding like a brown-noser..I think you do the best that you can. sometimes threads just take on a life of their own and before you know it they end up in a wreck!!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Rich Klein

Default I respond when I think I have something to say

But that is not in every thread -- only ones in which I think I can help.

Many people; especially newer ones in any group; tend to be afraid to post because frankly they don't have the same confidence that the "experienced" posters do. That was one great aspect of Marshall B; he had no fear of posting

But you'd be amazed at the breadth of this group. I was chatting at a local DFW show today with a vintage dealer from Houston I've known quite a while. In our conversation I mentioned the National Convention thread I started and wouldn't you know; HE could quote back some of the important parts of the discussion. As an FYI; he has set up at the last 10-15 Nationals at least -- I'll ask him the next time the full total of his National experiences. As far as I know; he has never posted on this board; but rest assured; he is one of many who reads this board regularly.

Regards
Rich
Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Default reasons from a long time "lurker"

I've been a long time vintage collector (25+ years) in addition to "lurking" here for a few years. Here are some reasons I don't post much:

-I have never participated in an auction house auction
-I rarely bid or buy anything on ebay any more
-I hate slabbing
-I don't care to be caught up in "drama" as others previously mentioned
-I don't have the budget - or the desire - to buy high end cards
-I could care less about card alterations...
-...or whether a card should be a 50 instead of a 40 - many of mine are trimmed, torn, burned, written on, creased, punch-holed or otherwise tortured...and that's the way I like 'em
-I prefer to remain somewhat anonymous

As you can see, I can't really comment - or choose not to comment - on many posts here. I do appreciate those who post neat cards (like Leon's D311 Danzig) or do research projects (like Brian's E121 quest). I also appreciate the many quality cards and impressive collections I have witnessed through this board.

Email: check_raze(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old 08-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Brad, This is a great idea for a thread. I hope the new guys will now chime in.

Many here have a niche and noone here knows every nuance on cards or memorabilia. Armpit to Elite collectors, everyone has a little something to offer. There's a saying in the fire service... "When the Experts panic, they call the fire department." I think the same theory applies here.

If a new poster feels they've been bullied, just tell us piss-off. Many here are just grumpy old men that need growl now and again. It's not personal and we don't bite.

This thread gives me an idea. Things have been rather drab around here, so lets liven it up.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Frank Wakefield

Jr Hatch Jr, you're my kind of collector!!! Please keep posting!!!

FW
Old 08-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Archive

I lurked for two years before starting to post. Glad I made the move. I wish more lurkers would post because I think the level of knowledge about pre-war cards would increase no matter what level of collector you are.

As far as being intimidated about asking a question. Don't be, you will never learn unless you ask. Besides, nobody will remember your question six months later except you. ( I once asked a question about the Joe Jackson T206 proof. ) Still get a laugh out of it today.

I have met alot of nice people on this board and I don't think that would have happened if I had kept lurking.

Jantz
Old 08-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Archive

jrhatchjr - With 25+ years of collecting, I for one would enjoy hearing some of your knowledge on pre-war cards. With that much collecting time under your belt, I'm sure you have something to share.

Jantz
Old 08-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Al

I lurked here for probably two years before I started posting. I didn't want to get caught up in the drama, and I think there are (were) people here who would jump all over your case for your opinions. It was only after I made friends with a good number of the regular posters here by meeting them on other boards that I began to feel comfortable posting here.

-Al
Old 08-21-2009, 05:56 PM

Default Frank Wakefield and Jantz...

Thanks for the kind words! It might be tough to post more and remain somewhat anonymous, though

But since you asked I'll create a fun little post in just a few moments...

Email: check_raze(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Everything Jim Hatch says...I'm going to echo.

Except the "anonymous" part. I don't mind tossing my name out so that others know for certain I'm just a horse's ass who happens to collect cards.

However, I've refrained from posting because: I don't own any slabbed stuff (in fact, a lot of my collection wouldn't be put into holders out of pity), I haven't bought anything via eBay since January '07, have never bid with an auction house...and have said on occasion that if I want to subject myself to high drama, I'd just tell my wife which of her co-workers I want to have an affair with.

However, if I see a topic that could use my contribution...I'll be right there with a response. 'cause that's how I roll, yo.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Jim K@ne

Default First Post!

Been a lurker for a couple of years, but joined as a member on the transition to new site because I wanted to see the BST section (not that I've ever bought anything!)

Lot of great knowledge here and good perspective as I learn more about pre-war cards. I've added some pre-war Baltimore cards to my Orioles collection and what I've learned here has helped me be more careful with what I buy.

I don't think there is anymore bickering here compared to other boards, but the political "discussions" sure are more colorful.

Jim
Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 PM
W
W@de Wo.lter

I think one thing that inhibits new participation (and old) is the difference in budgets. I am a player collector on a very limited budget. I have never, and will never, won any auction other than Ebay. I couldn't afford the "crap" many big time collectors would pass over in a REA or Mastro catalogue. It can be intimidating reading a "what did you win from this auction" thread when you can't afford to have the catalogue shipped.

I was lucky enough to pick up many items for my collection years ago but I certainly couldn't afford some of the items in my collection now. Please let me be clear, I don't begrudge anyone anything they have and this isn't a class issue for me but there are regulars on this board that spend well into the 6 figures or more every year. Nobody wants to read a post about my beat up P2 Wolter when there are Cobbs and Mathewsons to be seen.

That being said, I have followed and enjoyed this community since the FullCount days and I will ask and add to any conversation that I feel I can, but I think "lurkers" are just waiting in many cases to contribute when they think they can or when something up their alley comes along.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzie22 View Post
Nobody wants to read a post about my beat up P2 Wolter when there are Cobbs and Mathewsons to be seen.
I couldn't disagree with you more, Sir. First of all, if a card shows signs of having been "well-loved" by a previous owner, it gives that card some "character" in my eyes. My own 1955 Topps "set-in-progress" is 10 big cards short but is full of cards that have character. Like the Killer RC that has been trimmed on the edges (and there's no way it's going to be missed by anybody) or the Gil Hodges that shows signs of being used to make a bicycle "sound" like a motorbike. I can always upgrade the cards, but they look great to me.

Secondly, most of us are aware of the stories behind guys like Matty and Cobb. In fact, some of the guys here have written books and articles on those guys. However, I'd love to learn about Wolter because his story is new to me. I love finding out stuff I didn't know about even though I've paid attention to the game's history since I was 9 years old.

So show us your beaters!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Barry Sloate

As long as you love what you collect, you need not explain it to anybody. Remember, it's just a hobby!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Rawn Hill

I believe that I probably have the most focused collection on the board. I do chime in where I can, Maine baseball is not a topic that comes up often, but occasionally Carrigan will get mentioned. I've learned much from the board and had many laughs at some of the drama.

Thanks to all that have given me great deals in B/S/T.

Rawn
Old 08-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Scott

I am a low-end T206 collector. I have 98% of the set and the highest graded card I have is an SGC 60. (For the record, I am only mildly jealous of those with top flight, super-duper collections.)

I enjoy what I have and am grateful for the pleasure they give me. My other collections (with the exception of my PSA Registry winning Nate Colbert collection) are also nothing spectacular.

I mainly lurk on this site for two main reasons:

1) to learn things from those who know more than me.

2) to upgrade my craptacular collections via the B/S/T board when other collectors upgrade their collection. (This is called “trickle down” collecting.)
Old 08-21-2009, 07:06 PM
W
W@de Wo.lter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStufflestreet View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more, Sir. First of all, if a card shows signs of having been "well-loved" by a previous owner, it gives that card some "character" in my eyes. My own 1955 Topps "set-in-progress" is 10 big cards short but is full of cards that have character. Like the Killer RC that has been trimmed on the edges (and there's no way it's going to be missed by anybody) or the Gil Hodges that shows signs of being used to make a bicycle "sound" like a motorbike. I can always upgrade the cards, but they look great to me.

Secondly, most of us are aware of the stories behind guys like Matty and Cobb. In fact, some of the guys here have written books and articles on those guys. However, I'd love to learn about Wolter because his story is new to me. I love finding out stuff I didn't know about even though I've paid attention to the game's history since I was 9 years old.

So show us your beaters!
check the link below if you'd like to learn about Harry Wolter
Old 08-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Richard Cline

At this year's national, I commented to a fellow board member at the dinner that sometimes I won't show a card on the pick-up thread because there are so many high caliber cards there and I don't think my commons can stand up to the "competition". He told me I really should post them and I have decided he is right and will post most new pickups in the future.

I know I enjoy seeing what our fellow collectors acquire, whether they are high dollar or not, makes no difference to me. They are all enjoyable to view.

RC
Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrigansghost View Post
I believe that I probably have the most focused collection on the board. I do chime in where I can, Maine baseball is not a topic that comes up often, but occasionally Carrigan will get mentioned. I've learned much from the board and had many laughs at some of the drama.

Rawn
I can't add to the explanations, but I can offer a scan of Maine baseball

Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Many of my Q's are answered with Google....
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 PM

Every topic concerning vintage baseball cards under the sun has been discussed & rehashed au nausism on this and/or the previous Net54 forum over the last 5 or 6 years. So, if a newbie needs some info, he can just search the forum.

The National is not for the financially challenged. Now, there are very very few collectors that spend less money at the show than I do. I'm not kidding. I've personally met the biggest of the big spenders there and enjoy meeting & talking to them and I do not feel jealous anymore (it's taken me a long time to deal with this issue ) I enjoy all of the aspects of the National as much or more than anyone else that attends.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I'm mostly a non-sports guy. Just a few Baseball left in my collection. I usually just post about how economic factors will cause PSA to go out of business. That riles up a few folks.

Is Collector's Universe ready to releae earnings again?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Archive

"newbie"....................interesting choice of words

Jantz
Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Default Why I'm sometimes hesitant to post.

Brad, Great thread. Let me add my two cents.
I am mostly a lurker for a few reasons:
1. As Alan just stated, many of the ideas and information for a thread have been discussed and many times I will see a response posted as "See this archive thread for the information". I get why people do this and it is great that we have the archives, but I think it keeps us from further expanding on ideas and thoughts sometimes.

2. I am TERRIBLE with names. For example, at the National I met alot of really nice guys from the board. When I talked to them, they knew me from my posts about E98s and Old Put Backs. It was exciting and really neat to meet so many people but then when I got back home, I wanted to thank so many of them and chime into threads from them...but I forgot their names! and I feel really stupid if I try to chime in on a thread to someone whom I've met but can't remember their names. Of course this is my fault and I need to solve my own problem by learning to put names with faces better in the future. **On this note I just want to quickly thank the gentleman (See, I forgot his name) who is at the table with Leon and Scott ( I believe he bought the huge Pirate backed lot of T214s last year) and has made me a great deal the last two Nationals on cards. I really appreciate your willingness to bargain with me and my budget!

3. I am not the most technological advanced person and have trouble with scans... but I'm getting better!

4. I want to get along with everyone and let's face it... in some of the recent threads things have gotten a little heated. I prefer to stay out of it. It took everything I had to respond to one of Bruce's latest BST threads in the T section about an hour ago... but I think I did it in a very respectful way.

With a little more effort on my part, (remembering names/ faces and becoming more computer savy) I hope to be less of a lurker and more of a contributor in the future.
Tim Kindler
Old 08-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Tyler Cox

Default My 1st post ever

I made my first post about 4 years ago. It was in response to a Mathewson PC (either PC796 or PC805) that was being shown off in a "show off" thread. The famous image has Matty in a pitching pose, but his right arm covers the "N" of the "N.Y." I asked if the "Y" stood for Yale.
I knew he was a college guy, but at that time, I didn't know Bucknell from Buck Weaver. When I was corrected, I felt like an idiot, deservedly so, but it only made me want to learn more.

Since then I have learned so much about Matty and so many other HOF's, stars, characters, drunks, gamblers, etc. and I owe 100% of it to the people that contribute to this forum. Even the info I gather from other great sites and books all can be traced to this board.

I haven't posted much since that first "insert foot" moment about Matty and maybe that will change. Regardless, all you daily "postin' fools" remember... there are alot of us out here that appreciate all of your contributions.

I really have to bite my tongue when the Seinfeld references pop up, as I am quite a fan. Barry, feel free to correct any spelling or grammatical errors above...and...Do you know what Kramer's friend, Jay Reimenschneider, eats all the time? (I saw the episode today and couldn't resist, since this is us lurkers chance to "spew")

Thanks again to all for giving me something to do all day and to Leon for being the coolest moderator in history. See you in another 4 years.

Tyler
Old 08-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Rawn Hill

Thanks for posting something of Maine, Max. I have a copy of that. There are some really great players from Maine, but not at the level that gets to the Hall.

Rawn
Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Frank Wakefield

Default Hey there, Tyler Cox

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for posting that.

Have you read The Celebrant, by Eric Rolfe Greenberg? It is about the best baseball novel ever. I'd put it above The Natural and above If I Never Get Back. The Celebrant is set contemporary with Mr. Mathewson pitching with the Giants, which is a main thread in the book. Any baseball bibliophile, anyone who enjoys turn of the century T206 era baseball, any fan of Mathewson should read this book. Highly recommended.

FW

Horse meat.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 08-21-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Dustan Hedlin

I've been mostly a lurker for oh, about 2 years now. I first found this forum about the same time I started gaining an interest in pre-war. I was a bit intimidated by the amount of knowledge here, and I knew I had no knowledge to add to any of the discussions. Because of this, I lurked.

Now, 2 years and 94 T206's later, I still don't feel like I have a ton of knowledge to add anything to most threads. I've gotten much more familiar with the T206's, I have a few Cubs cards from other sets, but for the most part I just enjoy reading and learning from the threads. The drama posts are entertaining to some degree, but I often find myself getting bored with them after a while and finding something that actually has to do with cards.

I think as I continue collecting the T206 set and keep getting familiar with the cards, I will post more and contribute more to threads. I knew nothing but modern cards up until 2 years ago....some of the vets on this board have been collecting vintage 20-30 years before I was born. (I'll be 28 in October) I'll get there eventually but I'm still having fun reading and learning.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Barry Arnold

Default great forum

may i offer a resounding welcome to those who are new and those not so new.
i've been on this board forever and love it, as they say, 'warts and all'.

all the best,

barry
Old 08-22-2009, 12:27 AM

i used to post slightly more regularly a few years ago, but stopped. mainly because i elicited very few responses, while inane mud slinging threads and posts contributed by longer standing members received a lot more responses. at that point, i decided to stop posting. since then, i chime in once in a blue moon and have only the motivation to read but not post on the board.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:04 AM
Barry Sloate

Tyler- I can picture Kramer delivering that line...but can't remember what his friend ate. You got me on that one.

Is it dog?

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-22-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Steve Murray

"many of the ideas and information for a thread have been discussed and many times I will see a response posted as "See this archive thread for the information". I get why people do this and it is great that we have the archives, but I think it keeps us from further expanding on ideas and thoughts sometimes."

My first thought when this thread started.

Tim:

That fine gentleman you mentioned is Richard Masson.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 AM

Default Posting

Like jrhatchjr earlier I have been collecting vintage many years (28 for me), and I only occasionally post. Here are my sorry reasons:

1. Time--consistently week after week being at work 60 hours cuts into hobby time.

2. Topics--heck, we all have our interests, and because of that I don't even read half of the threads...they are just not up my alley.

3. Controversy--I am one to shy away...no, cower from flaming topics. Usually it is that I just don't care about the topic. Quite often I don't even understand the subtleties of opposing arguments. Sometimes those subtleties seem to have been delivered via sledgehammer. Call me stupid, please, but don't expect flames from this keyboard.

4. Apathy--Even when I do post a hobby related thread, sometimes I am met with a big yawn. I recently posted a couple of threads on the E121 sets, and appreciated the response that was received, but it sure seems like more people could pipe up (perhaps they lack the time like me). In my opinion that is what this board should be about, helping other collectors share knowledge, whether it be something newly discovered or answering questions that other members have.

5. Cranial technological malnutrition--Man, today I wanted to post an unpublished article on the E91 sets I wrote (6 years ago!), but could not figure out how to get it posted. I refuse to retype it. If anyone out there wants to help out, I can mail a copy and through their wondrous powers perhaps they can post it on the site. I can provide scans of the E91's later (see point #1), but actually would be asking for members help to show scans of cards I list in the article from other sets. Teamwork, people!

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 08-22-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added #5
Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I will help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Like jrhatchjr earlier I have been collecting vintage many years (28 for me), and I only occasionally post. Here are my sorry reasons:

1. Time--consistently week after week being at work 60 hours cuts into hobby time.

2. Topics--heck, we all have our interests, and because of that I don't even read half of the threads...they are just not up my alley.

3. Controversy--I am one to shy away...no, cower from flaming topics. Usually it is that I just don't care about the topic. Quite often I don't even understand the subtleties of opposing arguments. Sometimes those subtleties seem to have been delivered via sledgehammer. Call me stupid, please, but don't expect flames from this keyboard.

4. Apathy--Even when I do post a hobby related thread, sometimes I am met with a big yawn. I recently posted a couple of threads on the E121 sets, and appreciated the response that was received, but it sure seems like more people could pipe up (perhaps they lack the time like me). In my opinion that is what this board should be about, helping other collectors share knowledge, whether it be something newly discovered or answering questions that other members have.

5. Cranial technological malnutrition--Man, today I wanted to post an unpublished article on the E91 sets I wrote (6 years ago!), but could not figure out how to get it posted. I refuse to retype it. If anyone out there wants to help out, I can mail a copy and through their wondrous powers perhaps they can post it on the site. I can provide scans of the E91's later (see point #1), but actually would be asking for members help to show scans of cards I list in the article from other sets. Teamwork, people!

Brian
Brian- please email me at leonl@flash.net. I will help as much as is needed....including doing all of the posting and uploading of scans etc....