NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Default Tony Podsada busted at National!

Saw his table, $30 mantles, $40 jordans. Guys buying stacks of shit. I'm trying to tell people they're forgeries, but nobody will listen. Just walked by again, the cops and security are boxing it all up and taking it Away!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

It will all be headed to eBay by the end of the week.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
It will all be headed to eBay by the end of the week.
If I read this correctly, it was seized by the police. Not very likely you will see it on ebay. The local incinerator is probably its future home.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-02-2018, 01:05 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
If I read this correctly, it was seized by the police. Not very likely you will see it on ebay. The local incinerator is probably its future home.
Hopefully that is the case, I was just going by his statement "Guys buying stacks of shit." that some of it may have already left the building.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-02-2018, 01:09 PM
Scott Russell

Wonder if any other dealers don't show up tomorrow...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Steve Zarelli

Did he have the sign indicating the signed photos were "decorative items"?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Saw his table, $30 mantles, $40 jordans. Guys buying stacks of shit. I'm trying to tell people they're forgeries, but nobody will listen. Just walked by again, the cops and security are boxing it all up and taking it Away!
Great post, Ken.

2016 at the National in Atlantic City, Tony Podsada was there.

Decorative" items. In other words, he threw his "authenticator" under the bus.

See below.

PodsadaNational-1.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-03-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Manny
Banned

Owners of expensive paintings sometimes have exact replicas made to hang on their walls and then they keep the real one in a climate controlled vault somewhere. For security reasons.

Couldn't the same logic be extended to sports memorabilia? Prices are skyrocketing.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:14 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
Owners of expensive paintings sometimes have exact replicas made to hang on their walls and then they keep the real one in a climate controlled vault somewhere. For security reasons.

Couldn't the same logic be extended to sports memorabilia? Prices are skyrocketing.
Yes. Except that he is a very famous forger known for making things to sell as real.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 08-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

You can display fakes you just can't commit fraud.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Bob Andrews

Not a good look for the hobby, the National or TriStar. Why do they lease him a table/booth? Yes, I'm sure the answer is $$$ but are they that desperate?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Manny
Banned

I'm not trying to defend the crook, I'm just interested in the legal question.

According to Mr. Zipper, he had a sign in front of his booth stating that the $40 Jordan signatures were "decorative items."

You also have the fact that real Jordan autographs don't cost only $40.

I'm curious as to how law enforcement is going to prove that his buyers were deceived. To prove fraud, you have to prove that his buyers were misled by material misrepresentations.

Maybe I'm missing some important details?
Old 08-02-2018, 07:11 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

He did NOT have "Decorative Items" anywhere, he was selling these as legit. I didn't actually talk to him (wasn't even aware that was who he was until Les Wolff told me.) But the forgeries were obvious even without the prices and volume of material.

This will always be the lasting memory of the 2018 National to me: I asked this customer next to me, who was buying a pile of items:
"Is he selling these as repros or something?"
No, they're real.
"He's selling Mantle 8x10 for $30 and you think they're real??"
I was wondering that too, but you've got to hear his stories, they're legit.
"No they're not, they're forgeries!!"
Do you think they'd actually let someone into the National who was selling forgeries?"

God Bless stupid people!!
Old 08-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I'm not trying to defend the crook, I'm just interested in the legal question.

According to Mr. Zipper, he had a sign in front of his booth stating that the $40 Jordan signatures were "decorative items."

You also have the fact that real Jordan autographs don't cost only $40.

I'm curious as to how law enforcement is going to prove that his buyers were deceived. To prove fraud, you have to prove that his buyers were misled by material misrepresentations.

Maybe I'm missing some important details?

https://live.autographmagazine.com/p...1155035&page=1
Old 08-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
He did NOT have "Decorative Items" anywhere, he was selling these as legit. I didn't actually talk to him (wasn't even aware that was who he was until Les Wolff told me.) But the forgeries were obvious even without the prices and volume of material.

This will always be the lasting memory of the 2018 National to me: I asked this customer next to me, who was buying a pile of items:
No, they're real.
Do you think they'd actually let someone into the National who was selling forgeries?"

I should pull back a bit, I did not SEE that sign, or any other stating these were decorative items, but it definitely wasn't displayed on the side I was standing, nor was he telling people they were decorative.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
To clarify, he displayed the “decorative items” sign last year. I asked if he did the same this year.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:29 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
To clarify, he displayed the “decorative items” sign last year. I asked if he did the same this year.
My opinion, doesn't matter if there was a "Decorative Items" sign posted. We know his customers are mainly buying to resell as authentic, if you believe the other previous posts. . People like this are a scourge on this hobby and hopefully they get the punishment they deserve...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Steve Zarelli

This story does not name the vendor, but I assume it is the same matter we are discussing here.

Vendor accused of trying to sell phony autographs at popular sports convention in Cleveland

https://fox8.com/2018/08/02/vendor-a...-in-cleveland/
Old 08-03-2018, 08:05 AM
Richard Simon

As many of us here know he has a ton of the stuff. If all they did was confiscate his crap then he will just continue operating as always.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-03-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:57 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Well at least the Cleveland Police did there job. Unlike the FBI who has had this information for the last 10 years and have done nothing with it.
I also believe that you can not call autographs decorative items. I think you have to say reprints.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Read my Comment #7.

It shows a photo from the 2016 National in August.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:09 PM

From 2016:
"Many of the Ali autographs, which were then authenticated by eBay sellers by GFA, come from South Florida dealer Tony Podsada, who runs a company called SCM.

"At one point, I had about 18,000 Ali autographs," Podsada said. "I have about 3,000 left, mostly on 4-by-6 and 5-by-7 photos."

Podsada said he obtained the Ali signatures from 1988 to 1993, when his business, My Favorite Players, was one of the heavyweights in the industry.

Podsada's items do not come with a certificate of authenticity. Disenchanted with the authentication business, Podsada said he merely offers buyers the assurance that it's a "decorative item only."

"I believe what I have is real, but I don't guarantee anything because I know too much," Podsada said.

Podsada will sell a 5-by-7 plaque with an Ali signature for $19.99 because he says that the leading authenticators, PSA/DNA and JSA, will fail his items simply because of the quantity he has. That makes it harder, he says, to make a greater margin."

Is it just a coincidence that most of the sellers of forgeries on ebay are from S. florida, which happens to be where TP is from?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:28 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier8HOF View Post
From 2016:
"Many of the Ali autographs, which were then authenticated by eBay sellers by GFA, come from South Florida dealer Tony Podsada, who runs a company called SCM.

"At one point, I had about 18,000 Ali autographs," Podsada said. "I have about 3,000 left, mostly on 4-by-6 and 5-by-7 photos."

Podsada said he obtained the Ali signatures from 1988 to 1993, when his business, My Favorite Players, was one of the heavyweights in the industry.

Podsada's items do not come with a certificate of authenticity. Disenchanted with the authentication business, Podsada said he merely offers buyers the assurance that it's a "decorative item only."

"I believe what I have is real, but I don't guarantee anything because I know too much," Podsada said.

Podsada will sell a 5-by-7 plaque with an Ali signature for $19.99 because he says that the leading authenticators, PSA/DNA and JSA, will fail his items simply because of the quantity he has. That makes it harder, he says, to make a greater margin."

Is it just a coincidence that most of the sellers of forgeries on ebay are from S. florida, which happens to be where TP is from?
Does anyone actually think Muhammad Ali spent his time actually writing his name 18,000 times?

May not be out of the realm of reality with today's players over the course of a career but a retired multi-millionaire national icon - don't think so...smh...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Finally, a real feel good story for 2018. He''s probably already out with the dot matrix printer & a new authentication company name. A true scum bag if ever there was one PERIOD. He has some pretty big balls to try and sell that well documented TRASH at the National. I hope he rots in prison or takes on a big fine that changes his pathetic little life.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Are you out of your skull? because these are horrendous looking photos that no collector would want on their wall. I let mine fade or make a nice photo copy and store the original. These are shit fake signatures on shit photo paper media with a shit printer...=SHIT
Old 08-03-2018, 04:28 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

No, they're real.

like his ridiculous huge whale fish tale that " I sued scoreboard and I won, so they're authentic scoreboard" moronic statement.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Are you out of your skull? because these are horrendous looking photos that no collector would want on their wall. I let mine fade or make a nice photo copy and store the original. These are shit fake signatures on shit photo paper media with a shit printer...=SHIT
We should have an icon that you can click to generate the above response to some of the "Is this Mantle real?" threads.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Christopher Williams

Below is a screenshot from the Feedback page of Ebay seller Rbisportsinc.

He (Rod) was a major seller of the "Florida" forgeries. I posted numerous threads on him.

Read his reply to a Feedback left from a buyer.

rbisportsinc-Feedback-2.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-03-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Christopher Williams

Now Ebay seller Rbisportsinc sells his GFA-certed crap on his own website.

https://rbisportsinc.com/mickey-mant...to-autographed
Old 08-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Manny
Banned

This case perfectly illustrates the gray area of the law these guys operate in. Current laws are inadequate to prevent this from happening.

The primary seller of these "decorative items," prices them at prices that would make it impossible to prove you overpaid and were defrauded. No experienced collector would have a case. Imagine the absurdity of proving that the Ali signed plaque is worth $0 and that you paid $19.99 too much for it. How would you even do that? Real Ali signatures are 10x more expensive.

So the fault here probably lies with the secondary seller, the unethical dealer who buys the $19.99 Ali signatures to flip as authentic. But, how is the primary seller liable for the actions of another dealer?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I hope he rots in prison or takes on a big fine that changes his pathetic little life.
Prison seems unlikely if he was selling Ali signed plaques for $19.99.

Most jurisdictions have forgery laws, but they only apply to things like real estate deeds and bank checks. So if you forge grandma's signature on a quit claim deed, or steal her checkbook...things like that. Those laws are hard to apply to sports memorabilia.

Mickey Mantle, for example, is a widely known sports figure, so how is his signature any different from artwork? A signature of Mantle is basically an artistic doodle. No different than an Andy Warhol soup can. Selling reproductions of art isn't illegal. Mantle's signature on a glossy 8 x 10 is completely different than grandma's signature on a legal document. The former is a piece of art, while the latter is a negotiable instrument.

Is a reproduction only evident by the sales price? Is that "authentic" Babe Ruth signed ball you bought for $200 at the local antiques show, with and a nod and a wink from the store owner, a reproduction? Or were you a victim of a crime? Is it only a crime when you pay the full price of an authentic Ruth signature?
Old 08-04-2018, 01:55 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It's illegal to make or sell unlicensed reproductions of art if the artwork has copyrights/trademarks. It's illegal to sell 'reproductions' of Levi's jeans, Coach bags or NFL jerseys period-- whether or not you tell customers they aren't authentic. In fact, if you inform customers that those Coach bags aren't authentic, that's admission that you know you're selling counterfeits.

Last edited by drcy; 08-04-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:

Most jurisdictions have forgery laws, but they only apply to things like real estate deeds and bank checks. So if you forge grandma's signature on a quit claim deed, or steal her checkbook...things like that. Those laws are hard to apply to sports memorabilia.

Mickey Mantle, for example, is a widely known sports figure, so how is his signature any different from artwork? A signature of Mantle is basically an artistic doodle. No different than an Andy Warhol soup can. Selling reproductions of art isn't illegal. Mantle's signature on a glossy 8 x 10 is completely different than grandma's signature on a legal document. The former is a piece of art, while the latter is a negotiable instrument.

Is a reproduction only evident by the sales price? Is that "authentic" Babe Ruth signed ball you bought for $200 at the local antiques show, with and a nod and a wink from the store owner, a reproduction? Or were you a victim of a crime? Is it only a crime when you pay the full price of an authentic Ruth signature?
If its fake and you sell it and you know its fake without disclosure its fraud... Does this jerk even have the rights to use the photographic images he is printing out?
Old 08-04-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Selling a fake auto, purse, etc is called FRAUD, so there's that...

Quote:
Selling reproductions of art isn't illegal.
Yes it is.

Last edited by silvor; 08-04-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I would estimate that he has sold over 20,000,000 dollars over the past 17 years. I know that Richard, Chris and I have been keeping track of his sales for a very long time. The FBI in Florida refused to go after him. They had a slam dunk.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I would estimate that he has sold over 20,000,000 dollars over the past 17 years. I know that Richard, Chris and I have been keeping track of his sales for a very long time. The FBI in Florida refused to go after him. They had a slam dunk.
+1

They certainly did!!!

A slam dunk!!!!
Old 08-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Does anyone actually think Muhammad Ali spent his time actually writing his name 18,000 times?

May not be out of the realm of reality with today's players over the course of a career but a retired multi-millionaire national icon - don't think so...smh...

I wouldn't be surprised if Ali signed a Million+ autographs throughout his life, a large portion of them for free.

Unfortunately there's probably 20 times that in fakes out there, because of the demand.

Highly doubt he signed 18,000 times for any one person or entity though..............particularly this scumbag.

Ali never really had any concept of money either. Likely gave most of it away. His most valuable asset to his family when he passed away, was easily his name.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-05-2018, 05:10 PM

Default Pic

Any photos of him?
Old 08-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Richard Simon

Check with the Post Office, they may have a wanted poster.
In addition to what he does now, he is a convicted felon.
--
Old 08-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Richard Simon

Default deleted

started new thread.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-05-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

well put
Old 08-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
It's illegal to make or sell unlicensed reproductions of art if the artwork has copyrights/trademarks. It's illegal to sell 'reproductions' of Levi's jeans, Coach bags or NFL jerseys period-- whether or not you tell customers they aren't authentic. In fact, if you inform customers that those Coach bags aren't authentic, that's admission that you know you're selling counterfeits.
another very good point
Old 08-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
the best point of all...
Old 08-06-2018, 10:01 AM

Default He has a facebook page

So I know what he looks like
Old 08-07-2018, 08:14 PM

+1
Old 08-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
+1
Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier8HOF View Post
From 2016:

All the Podsada Ali signed photos I've seen were printed on inkjet printer paper. The kind that came onto the market in August 1995 or later. A shade later than 1988-93.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:39 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyrkin View Post
All the Podsada Ali signed photos I've seen were printed on inkjet printer paper. The kind that came onto the market in August 1995 or later. A shade later than 1988-93.
Yep.

I possess various "Mantle" signed photos from multiple "Florida" sellers and every one was produced on inkjet paper.

https://live.autographmagazine.com/p...1155035&page=1

https://live.autographmagazine.com/p...-do-they-use-b
Old 08-08-2018, 04:08 PM
David L.

I had read that article previously. Great research. Very well done.