NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default I'm Calling BS on...

The Twins' players being upset at Orioles catcher bunting for a hit against the extreme shift being employed against him with one out in the ninth inning of yesterday's game the Twins were leading 7-0.

IMO

I applaud any player who figures out that they will have more success going against shifts, instead of trying to hit through or over them.

Teams using such extreme shifts need to accept what comes with using them....and quit crying about it.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-02-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: it was yesterday's game, not today's
Old 04-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Brandon Bailey

Agreed. Dozier should get ready for some chin music next time they play.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:16 PM

I agree completely. You know what would have prevented the batter from bunting? Not shifting.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:27 PM
je.sse @rnot

Yeah if anyone is guilty of violating the sacred unwritten rules it's the manager who ordered the shift up 7-0 in the 9th.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't have a problem with either. The game isn't over until the last out.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:19 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I agree, weak move on Dozier to call out a young rookie over such a dumb issue. Seems to me its a bigger no-no to do a shift like that when up by 7-0, as has been pointed out. Why not play the kid straight up? I hate seeing these extreme shifts all the time to begin with and love seeing any hitter make an opposing team pay when they beat the shift (unless they're playing the Yankees ).

It's a hitters job to try and get a hit or get on base anytime they're up to bat. Both for the teams sake and themselves (he's a rookie trying to stay up in the big leagues!) Giving away an at bat to make Dozier happy isn't going to help him stick!

Last edited by yanksfan09; 04-02-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Jason Wells

Yeah the Twins beef is totally unnecessary. I would put the bunt sign on everytime to beat the shift if the situation warranted it.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:27 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
The Twins' players being upset at Orioles catcher bunting for a hit against the extreme shift being employed against him with one out in the ninth inning of yesterday's game the Twins were leading 7-0.

IMO

I applaud any player who figures out that they will have more success going against shifts, instead of trying to hit through or over them.

Teams using such extreme shifts need to accept what comes with using them....and quit crying about it.
Agree! Its ok to shift with a 7 run lead but not ok to bunt against it???

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2018, 07:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'm not sure I can think of more than one "unwritten rule" in baseball that is not utter nonsense. Usually unwritten because they are too damm stupid to write down.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Rob Anderson

As a big Twins fan, I agree with all of you guys. I also think not bunting to break up a no-hitter is stupid. Byron Buxton is fast as hell, and he hits like crap most of the times. Lay down a bunt and get on and move around the bases. Stupid to whine about people playing the game.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Dave

This is a case of a story becoming a bigger story then it actually is, simply because it's so absurd.

One guy on a roster of 24+ guys gives a throwaway comment, and it's front page National news. It's also the perfect type of story to automatically get Millions of clicks and thousands of "outraged" fans "sick of these pampered athletes" to post on various message boards.

Silly comment by Dozier, but that's all this really is, a silly story.

Back in the day both Dozier (if the other team caught wind he complained) AND Sisco would have gotten plunked the next time they played, and the only thing that would have been in the paper would be "Orioles Win 4-3" followed by a box score and a simple writeup of the game.

Front page on ESPN right now is "Kenley Jansen says 'who cares'". I say, exactly!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Fred

I agree, don't put a shift on then with 1 out in the ninth. I wish more people would bunt against that shift its the smart play