NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Greg S.

Default E91 Set B Plank Variation?

Good Morning,

I recently (as in I just received them yesterday) acquired a small group of E91 Set B cards that included a Plank. Upon looking at them more closely this morning, I was disheartened to see that the Plank had what appeared to be writing of the number 16 on his chest. The scans that were in the listing weren't great, and I hadn't looked close enough to see this.

That said I started to look at images of the same card and found this Love of the Game Auctions of one last year: http://loveofthegameauctions.com/lot-8035.aspx

It's got the same identical '16' on his chest, while other images I've found online don't seem to have it (I've looked some, but not extensively).

The card I have is definitely real, and it's definitely not the same card as in that LOTG auction. I know the E91's don't get a lot of love but I thought this was a cool little find if in fact it's a variation and not something else. If you guys have thoughts, I would love to hear them! If this is something that is already known, that's cool, too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plank.jpg (75.6 KB, 194 views)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:13 AM
David M.

That is weird. I've attached a picture of the card offered by Love Of The Game. The marking seems exactly the same with the same placement. Maybe it was a print variation as you suggested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plank E91 Capture.jpg (74.8 KB, 177 views)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Todd Schultz

That seems to be good evidence of a print variation. You should put the card under a strong loupe and/or otherwise enlarge it. This could reveal whether there is pressure or indentation from an ink pen or, conversely, if the black is actually part of the dot pattern.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:02 AM
Greg S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
That is weird. I've attached a picture of the card offered by Love Of The Game. The marking seems exactly the same with the same placement. Maybe it was a print variation as you suggested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
That seems to be good evidence of a print variation. You should put the card under a strong loupe and/or otherwise enlarge it. This could reveal whether there is pressure or indentation from an ink pen or, conversely, if the black is actually part of the dot pattern.
Thank you for the feedback gentlemen. Now I really wish I owned a loupe! To the naked eye I don't see any indentations, but that is to my untrained eye. I also tried to take a closer pic and zoom in to try and look at the dot patterns, but again I'm not sure I'd be able to decipher the difference. Thanks again for the comments, I appreciate it.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:17 PM
Jeremy W.

Greg- When you look at your card, through the grandstands there seems to be tree tops, but it's not there on the LOTG copy. Weird.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:14 PM
Bry@n

I don't collect E91 but I love this kind of thing and I look forward to following this thread. Good spot on the trees too.

My one question: why is he holding an egg?

Last edited by Jobu; 05-18-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am open minded about print defects and love them but would need to see this one in hand. They both look like ink marks, after the fact, but they sure look identical. Hopefully they are from when they were printed.
Would love to see them with a loupe.

Last edited by Leon; 05-22-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:11 PM
P@trick R.omolo

IMO They're to exact to be anything but a print variation.
Plank E91 A.jpg
Old 05-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Greg S.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I was tied up most of this past weekend so I wasn't able to do much additional research on this (looking for other examples, studying the rest of the group, etc.) as I originally had hoped. And while I can't definitively say what it is or isn't, at least to my eyes, with it in hand, it does not look like writing.

So my plan at this point is to send it out this weekend to get graded with a note/letter that asks them to consider adding it as a variation if in fact it was done during the printing process and isn't writing. I'll obviously include a link to the LOTG copy and any others I can find between now and the end of the week. I figure it can't hurt to ask, and if they're going to recognize the presence of a white triangle on a 1988 Topps McGwire card, they should surely recognize a prominent black marking on the chest of 1909 Plank card, shouldn't they??

And Jeremy - good pickup on the black markings/tree tops. The registration and black printing on my copy is definitely worse than the LOTG one. I'm guessing that's all it is, but that is a guess.

Lastly, if anyone is interested on where this card came from it was in this lot: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-9-VIN...vip=true&rt=nc

I will follow up once I hear back on the grading - and thank you all again!
Old 05-22-2017, 05:04 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Depends on the grading company. PSA will USUALLY require that your variation be in a catalog book somewhere before they ratify it. However, I sent in two recurring print defects on my last bulk submission to see whether or not they would make me get them added before officially recognizing the variation.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:09 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I would say it's definitely a print variation here's another example.
E91-B Plank.jpg
Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Jeremy W.

Looks like another treetop version. Reminds me of the Bender with trees variation. The Plank w/trees sounds better.