NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Default Deadball player most featured on cards during career...

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

Hey guys,

At the risk of sounding like a certain infamous poster (Would you still collect baseball cards if baseball had never been invented? What if it were called ball base?)

My actual question is -- what deadball era player was featured on the most cards issued DURING his playing career. Cobb springs to mind just because of his lengthy career and popularity. Chase springs to mind as he pops up on tons of smaller issues. Primarily wondering about FRONTS...and not a myriad front back combinations. For example: Chase's T206s count as only 5 cards regardless of backs.

Has anyone researched this or is there a thread in the archives?

Thanks!

Shawn

Old 07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I think it's a great question, but then, I'm the guy who recently asked, "Who was the best player never to appear on a card." So what deadball player was on the most cards? I haven't the foggiest idea, but now I'm curious!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

Cobb and Eddie Collins. Both came up about when BB cards took off and played into the late 1920s. I'd guess they were in almost every set of significance for 20 years. Speaker shares the same timetable, but for some reason doesn't appear in quite as many sets (he's not in E92, E101, M101-4/5, for example).

If you did limit it only to pre-1920 issues, then I think Frank Chance would be right up there too. I have a ton of Chance cards-- he seems to be in almost everything before 1915. including (these are the ones I have-- I'm sure there are others)
M116T205E98T201T202T206T207T3M101-2E95E90-1E92Tom BarkerE93M101-4/5E101E94E254T222

Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Jack Quinn must be right up there ... he's the only guy I can think of whose active career lasted from the peak of the tobacco card era (T206) to the beginning of the gum era ('33 Goudey) ...

Old 07-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Took a quick look at my lists (strictly prewar cards) and Tim pretty much nailed it.

Deadball:(in groupings of similarity)
1st--Cobb (by quite a bit)
2nd--Collins and Speaker were almost in dead tie
3rd--McGraw and Johnson
4th-- Wags followed closely by Matty
5th--All about the same--Bender,Chance,Evers,Jennings,Lajoie,&Tinker(last in group)

Tweeners(continued well into "live-ball")
1st--Ruth (by a comfy margin)
2nd--Hornsby

Non-HOFers in Deadball:
1st--Larry Doyle (kinda surprised by this)
2nd--Hal Chase
3rd--several including George Gibson and Chief Meyers

-Rhett

Old 07-10-2008, 02:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Rhett,

good info. you must have quite an impressive list.

You wouldn't by chance have them listed by team as well as set?

martyOgelvie
New York Yankee cards
Old 07-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

Rhett,

That is good stuff...did you happen to keep a numeric tally next to the players. I'd be curious to see how your numbers compared between players.

S

Old 07-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

When I was only collecting George Gibson cards, I created a checklist of every George Gibson card (postcard, pin, disc, felt...) that I could identify. If memory serves, the total checklist was in the neighbourhood of 100 cards, but that included a few modern cards (ie. post-1960), a couple cards that depicted him as a manager, and all of the backs I could identify (ie. T205, T206, T3, M101-4, E92, E104, etc). Less those, the number was probably in the area of 70 cards from his playing days.

Regards,

Richard.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean

I once did this exact same tally a few years ago but I based it solely on card sets featured in my 1981 beckett/eckes price guide lol.
It was Cobb barely beating out Eddie Collins and than Johnny Evers third. I can put on a detailed list however, the guide didnt include a lot of sets like colgans, domino discs, pins, strip cards, etc.