NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Default PSA/DNA holding true to their guarantee

I purchased several autographed items from a recent AH auction, everything was "Pre-Certified" by PSA/DNA. I recieved the items and was a little skeptical of one item in particular - it was an index card from a larger lot. I sent it in with several other items and included the pre-certified LOA paper thing, along with my invoice. About a month later the results become available online, everything was deemed authentic except this one item.. I called up customer service and they couldn't have been more helpful. After a second review, they confirmed that it was not authentic and they issued me a voucher for the SMR price of the autograph and the submission fees (which in this case is more than I paid for the item).

In a forum littered with horror stories and worst case scenarios, I felt it appropriate to share a good experience with PSA.

Jason
Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I purchased several autographed items from a recent AH auction, everything was "Pre-Certified" by PSA/DNA. I recieved the items and was a little skeptical of one item in particular - it was an index card from a larger lot. I sent it in with several other items and included the pre-certified LOA paper thing, along with my invoice. About a month later the results become available online, everything was deemed authentic except this one item.. I called up customer service and they couldn't have been more helpful. After a second review, they confirmed that it was not authentic and they issued me a voucher for the SMR price of the autograph and the submission fees (which in this case is more than I paid for the item).

In a forum littered with horror stories and worst case scenarios, I felt it appropriate to share a good experience with PSA.

Jason
Jason, I had a similar situation - pre-certified lot with very questionable autographs. I asked them to take another look, they told me they did, they said they were good. At least two (and I specifically pointed these two out to them) were not good. That was the exact moment where I quit paying any attention to PSA LOA's. The only time their opinion means anything to me now is when I know that JSA and PSA are both looking at an item and PSA refuses to certify it.

If PSA thinks an autograph is bad, it's either too complicated for them or it's bad.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:07 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

I only deal with PSA once and it was an ok experience. Their return shipping cost is crazy high.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

Jason

that's fine but when you say they hold true to their guarantee, what does it mean.

They don't have a guarantee with autographs, they have never had a guarantee. show me the written guarantee?

if they made good on it, thats fine, but they did it without a guarantee, they did it by their own decision. if they decided they didnt want to make good, there is no guarantee you can point to , to force them to make good.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Has anyone submit an item that pass psa quick opinion but failed psa authentication?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

How stupid would they be. Then not only would they have to refund your money, they would also have to admit they have idiots working for them.
Not saying it is not true. Just remember they have trained eyes

Last edited by shelly; 05-20-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Shelly, you should work part time for them.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
that's fine but when you say they hold true to their guarantee, what does it mean.

They don't have a guarantee with autographs, they have never had a guarantee. show me the written guarantee?

if they made good on it, thats fine, but they did it without a guarantee, they did it by their own decision. if they decided they didnt want to make good, there is no guarantee you can point to , to force them to make good.
I believe the guarantee is only with auction LOAs? I could be wrong, but that is what the OP is discussing.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 05-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
http://www.psacard.com/About/WhatIsGrading/

"As a hobbyist, you may see the PSA/DNA Pre-Certified logo in various auction house catalogues or online. It is a service unique to auctions and to autographs found within. The purpose of the service is to let the prospective bidders know whether an autographed auction item will pass PSA/DNA should that person win the item and want to send it in for authentication immediately after the auction closes. If you see the Pre-Certified logo, it means the item has been reviewed by our experts and is absolutely guaranteed to pass."

I just wanted to share a positive experience I had with PSA.. It was an honest mistake they made and they owned up to it. I'm sorry if this thread offended anyone.

Jason
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

"As a hobbyist, you may see the PSA/DNA Pre-Certified logo in various auction house catalogues or online. It is a service unique to auctions and to autographs found within. The purpose of the service is to let the prospective bidders know whether an autographed auction item will pass PSA/DNA should that person win the item and want to send it in for authentication immediately after the auction closes. If you see the Pre-Certified logo, it means the item has been reviewed by our experts and is absolutely guaranteed to pass."

I just wanted to share a positive experience I had with PSA.. It was an honest mistake they made and they owned up to it. I'm sorry if this thread offended anyone.

Jason
Maybe just change the title of your post to: "Positive PSA experiences only". Generally, people see a post and they respond with their own thoughts, even if they do not agree with those of the original poster.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Maybe just change the title of your post to: "Positive PSA experiences only". Generally, people see a post and they respond with their own thoughts, even if they do not agree with those of the original poster.

You're welcome to post your thoughts and personal experiences. I'm sorry you're last experience with quick opinion didn't work out. I was not referring to your post.. All I did was apologize if I offended anyone.

Personally, I think it is a good service they have. It shifts the risk of the purchase onto PSA rather than the buyer or AH.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapro View Post
Has anyone submit an item that pass psa quick opinion but failed psa authentication?

I have, on more than one occasion as well.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 PM
qu@n nguy3n

psa takes alot of abuse on this board, but i've never had a bad experience submitting cards with them in 10 years. also although their psa/dna division is slow, never had a problem with them either. i once had an auto grading go extra long and they credited me back for the whole amount.

i've never used their quick opinion, that seems like a setup for you to be disappointed later. i also don't do historical, music, boxing, or even hockey with them. they get baseball, football mostly right so i submit those sports.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
I have, on more than one occasion as well.
doh! Did you get some kind of refund?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
psa takes alot of abuse on this board, but i've never had a bad experience submitting cards with them in 10 years.
Quan, we're talking autographs, not cards. Huge difference.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Did your Mantle ball go through PSA? I didn't see anyone respond to your posts about it .
Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Quan, we're talking autographs, not cards. Huge difference.
Come on Scott, I'm sure he meant signed cards, no need to be a dick...

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-21-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Did your Mantle ball go through PSA? I didn't see anyone respond to your posts about it .
The mantle balls I have were already psa cert. I am in the process of sending in a Dimaggio ball I got recently. PSA quick opinion say its good.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
Come on Scott, I'm sure he meant signed cards, no need to be a dick...
Brent, that was totally uncalled for. If you are going to call people names, you really need to make a practice of doing it only to their face.

Quan - Brent has a point. I wasn't thinking about signed cards, so please accept my apology.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
doh! Did you get some kind of refund?
As far as the purchase price of the autographed item, no. I didn't solicit a refund nor did they proactively initiate one. I think I recall getting vouchers for the cost of the quick opinions I had paid.

Overall my submissions usually do very well, and they've discounted me a ton off their regular sub rates and usually give me outstanding customer service, so im fine with giving them a mulligan every now and then.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
The mantle balls I have were already psa cert. I am in the process of sending in a Dimaggio ball I got recently. PSA quick opinion say its good.
Okay, just wondering. I'm looking for a nice '50s Mantle-signed document to display with a card. The ones from that period have distinctive characteristics, almost by year, but the more modern ones have me baffled. Good luck with the DiMaggio.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Brent, that was totally uncalled for. If you are going to call people names, you really need to make a practice of doing it only to their face.

Quan - Brent has a point. I wasn't thinking about signed cards, so please accept my apology.
I'm sorry Scott

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 05-21-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I'm sorry Scott
Me too. I'm too confrontational and I need to work on that.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Me too. I'm too confrontational and I need to work on that.
Hey, we are just passionate about our hobby and we all have each other's backs, it happens lol
Old 05-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Hey, we are just passionate about our hobby and we all have each other's backs, it happens lol
True. Quite often I don't understand what Quan is talking about, but I still read his posts. I think he's talked about 'cards' before, meaning 'signed cards', and I was also confused.

I try to stick to only reading autograph forum posts about pre-war baseball players, but because of negative experiences with PSA and all the authenticated fakes flying around, I have a hard time resisting the topic.

Also, each time I think we are gathering momentum that might possibly 'force' PSA and JSA to do the job they are getting paid to do, that momentum gets diluted by forum members who pat them on the back. Nothing wrong with that - this is a place to say whatever you want, and generate discussions - but I really don't see anything getting better as a result of our discussions here.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:

Jason
No need for an apology, Jason, as I don't think it offended anyone who read it fairly. I appreciate hearing about what happened. I've never sent in an auction LOA to convert to a full LOA, so I am glad you posted your experience with it. I recently had kind of the opposite experience with JSA. I won a signed card with a JSA auction LOA and sent it to SGC's new service for encapsulation. It came back "inconclusive" which I found amusing since the head authenticator at SGC is JSA-trained. In other words, it's all a popcorn fart anyway

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-21-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
True. Quite often I don't understand what Quan is talking about, but I still read his posts. I think he's talked about 'cards' before, meaning 'signed cards', and I was also confused.

I try to stick to only reading autograph forum posts about pre-war baseball players, but because of negative experiences with PSA and all the authenticated fakes flying around, I have a hard time resisting the topic.

Also, each time I think we are gathering momentum that might possibly 'force' PSA and JSA to do the job they are getting paid to do, that momentum gets diluted by forum members who pat them on the back. Nothing wrong with that - this is a place to say whatever you want, and generate discussions - but I really don't see anything getting better as a result of our discussions here.

I'm just giving credit where credit is due. You can learn a thing or two from it.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I'm just giving credit where credit is due. You can learn a thing or two from it.
Yeah, I've never given anyone credit for anything

Jason, my recommendation is that you post your experience on your Facebook page and simply remove any comments that are contrary to your own beliefs. And if anyone repeats the offense, simply de-friend them.

Last edited by Runscott; 05-22-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Yeah, I've never given anyone credit for anything

Jason, my recommendation is that you post your experience on your Facebook page and simply remove any comments that are contrary to your own beliefs. And if anyone repeats the offense, simply de-friend them.
I don't think I have posted any "beliefs". I have yet to share my personal opinion of PSA, Joe Orlando and anyone of the sort, so I am not quite sure what you're reading.

I was simply sharing a positive and informative experience (since there were clearly members who weren't aware of some of the services this company provides) and I was met with a rude comment criticizing me for sharing something positive. So, since this is my only experience with you, no, I have never seen you give credit when it is due. So please take note.