NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 01-21-2014, 12:19 AM
M@tt.1ruLn1K

Default Donnie Baseball Whale - Reeled In!

Pretty amped about this acquisition. A card long-shrouded in mystique that really made it interesting to me over the years.

Someone over on the PSA boards came up on a real find of a few copies a ways back, but there are still only 29 in all grades.

Very few cards to chase from this era, which is another thing that drew me to it...

Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 AM

Default Mattingly

Nice....do you have a scan of the back?

Z Wheat
Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM

What in the heck is that???
Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Arthur
Al Fri.ch

Nice. Got a checklist for the set?

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM
Al Richter

Default Donnie Freed

Special edition Topps single card issue. Here is mine, freed from Bondage. Although if mine were in a 10 I guess I would leave it there too

Old 01-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Jesse Lent

man look at those stats. if only the guy never had any back issues.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

As most of us do, I remember Mattingly busting on to the scene. What a player! The owner of the card shop I would go to back in the day, told me of a customer who only bought ( invested ) Mantles and Mattinglys. Nothing but good memories about that card shop, the owner, and his stories.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM
M@tt.1ruLn1K

Those stats there are just ridiculous.

All that power WITH average AND minimal K's! That's why Brett was my next favorite player.

Donnie Baseball was such a focus of the hobby for that moment. His 84D and 84T cards produce Pavlovian reactions in my brain-- I swearI get happier and time travel to childhood when I see them.

It's a shame so few cards from that era are scarce, but this is one of them.

PS: SWEET CARD AL! Glad I now am in the ownership club

Last edited by MattyC; 01-21-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:48 PM

So who here thinks he should be in the Hall? For that period of time almost no one was better all-around.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:46 PM
M@tt.1ruLn1K

Great topic. Here's what I think:

If Puckett is in, Mattingly should be in. Puckett was great, but winning a WS should not be a prerequisite. That's a team function. Mattingly over Puckett if I'm making a team all day.

I long ago gave up any respect for the Hall because of the men who decide on entry. These "writers" make baffling decisions and the subjectivity and personal ax-grinding that inform their decisions really turns me off. To think several didn't vote for Maddux? That's a travesty. Or McGriff would be a lock with 7 more homers, but at 493 he's not worthy? They scream roids on Bagwell and Piazza, essentially convicting someone without proof? But look at a player like Molitor who reached new, almost anomalous heights late in his career, and post-1987. And I love molitor's game.

Just too many illogical calls on the sports writers' collective part, for me to revere any institution run on their taste and decisions.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-21-2014 at 04:46 PM.