NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Brandon

Default Hornsby Metallic Creations

Hello and sorry to revive an old thread....I found this today for a few bucks and as a cardinals collector I like anything related to Hornsby. Curious what year it might be from and does it have much value? Not looking to sell but just don't know much about these and it's tough finding any info. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merchandise 001.jpg (67.9 KB, 303 views)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Marty

Hi Brandon -

reading through the thread you will see that Hornsby was one of the first offered and was issued starting in 1979. The statues can usually be had for about $10-20, and the cards maybe a little less from what I have seen, but there are some that are harder to find, and certainly some players that are in higher demand. Original box will add a bit.

This is the first time I have seen a window box for these - all I have had or seen came with a plain box, like a 250 ct card box style - with foam inside to keep the statue in place. I am guessing your card has the black border, which would be a bit later in the run.

Nice collectibles with a strange and storied past. Enjoy your Hornsby and happy collecting!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughlinfan View Post
Hi Brandon -

reading through the thread you will see that Hornsby was one of the first offered and was issued starting in 1979. The statues can usually be had for about $10-20, and the cards maybe a little less from what I have seen, but there are some that are harder to find, and certainly some players that are in higher demand. Original box will add a bit.

This is the first time I have seen a window box for these - all I have had or seen came with a plain box, like a 250 ct card box style - with foam inside to keep the statue in place. I am guessing your card has the black border, which would be a bit later in the run.

Nice collectibles with a strange and storied past. Enjoy your Hornsby and happy collecting!
Thanks for the response Marty...will make a neat display peice. Happy New Year, Brandon
Old 09-26-2014, 06:39 AM

Default Miniature Signature and Metallic Creations

If anyone knows of any items for sale, i would be interested in purchasing.

Thanks so much!!
Old 03-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Curt

Never did photograph it and was doing some organizing today so here it is finally. It's about 16x24 in size

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
It arrived today and is definitely original art! Nice piece too. I'll try to see if I can get some decent photos of it.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Update

Hi Gang:

My turn to bring this thread back from the grave.

I recently obtained an original retail display case for the Signature Miniatures.

There are also variations! Koufax spelled Koufax, or Kofax, and Lopes as Davey or Davy.

Ruth comes with and without home plate and Gehrig comes with different name plate in a different location on a different base.

Plus I have a guy doing great work hand painting the pewter statues.

I am looking for paperwork, boxes, ads, original artwork, etc ANYTHING to do with this set. I have some dupes in statues, boxes and cards too.

LMK what you have, or post photos here!

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Display 2.jpg (80.0 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg Davy Davey Lopes 003.jpg (76.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Davy Davey Lopes 004.jpg (75.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-06-29 001 003.jpg (76.1 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg no plate.jpg (71.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Painted Signature Miniatures.jpg (77.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg KOFAX misspelled 002.jpg (73.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Koufax correct.jpg (69.5 KB, 152 views)
Old 06-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Was Yaz included in that set?
Old 06-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Marty

Hey Fred - great stuff!

What a fantastically strange little set this is!

Dan, no Yaz that we ever heard of, but stick around - we learn something new about these guys every year!

Marty
Old 06-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Hey Fred - great stuff!

What a fantastically strange little set this is!

Dan, no Yaz that we ever heard of, but stick around - we learn something new about these guys every year!

Marty
Hi Marty:

Good to "hear" from you. I sent you an email. If you did not get it, please PM me.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 02-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default New Find!!

Hi Guys:

Reviving this thread again

Just found a real head scratcher from this set.

A complete second pose for the Walter Johnson statue from the Signature Miniature/Metallic Creations set.

The "normal" Johnson has him with his glove hand on his left knee. See photo with the red background. The new find has the Big Train with both arms behind his back. I have to assume this is a prototype.

Note the pin striped uniform and the missing "W" from his cap and jersey on the prototype.

Anyone else have this pose or any ideas what this could be?

I am also looking for Cedeno and Brett from the set if anyone out there has one or both please PM me.

Thanks

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnson normal.jpg (77.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson Prototype 1.jpg (76.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson Prototype 2.jpg (74.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson Prototype 4.jpg (78.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson Prototype 5.jpg (71.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Johnson Prototype 6.jpg (72.4 KB, 99 views)
Old 02-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Marty

Hey Fred!

Nice find! I have never seen this pose, but I would agree that maybe this was an early prototype. Pretty sure we got in when they first came out, and ours was the hand on the knee version. Seems to be a different art "style" than the others, maybe. Perhaps they worked with a couple of different artists before they went into production?
Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 AM
Marty

On the bright side, the pandemic provides time to go through old boxes! Found this ad from the Summer 1982 Sports Gift Digest catalog, and can see our hand written notations that this was the first time we saw the Cedeno figure available (three years after the first 8 were issued). The price seems a bit steep for almost 40 years ago, but I needed it for the set, or at least as far as I knew!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SigMins.JPG (51.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-25-2020, 01:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Koufax card:

I got a bunch of these in a collection I purchased a few years ago. No statues. The cards included some of the original Kodak paper round cornered ones as well as the other varieties.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-28-2020, 01:27 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
On the bright side, the pandemic provides time to go through old boxes! Found this ad from the Summer 1982 Sports Gift Digest catalog, and can see our hand written notations that this was the first time we saw the Cedeno figure available (three years after the first 8 were issued). The price seems a bit steep for almost 40 years ago, but I needed it for the set, or at least as far as I knew!
Marty:

Thanks for posting! Seems odd that the Cedeno was issued, or at least listed here before the Munson and Clemente statues. While those are tough the Cedeno seems harder to find. I guess less people ordered his statue as compared to Munson and Clemente.

Did you ever get into the 1988 Baseball Superstars Statues or the similar Metz statues? If so do you have checklists or ads for them? I started a thread about them in the memorabilia area and have not had much in the way of replies/help. Please take a look .

Fred