NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2017, 10:53 AM

Default ANy Die Hard Diamond Stars Collectors out here?

My Dad, who I do miss dearly, left a note and an open slot in our Master set of Diamond Stars that states there may exist a #2 Simmons with Sox on shirt and blue print on back.

Now I just noticed this and we completed this Master set back in the early 1980s but I have only ever seen the blank shirt with the blue printing on back.

Any help from the community is greatly appreciated.

Dan Mckee
Old 05-22-2017, 11:47 AM

All the Blue Back Al Simmons cards I have noticed are without the Sox emblem, but I haven't been checking that closely. If it does exist with the Sox on uniform it would likely be a rare beast. I assume the complete master set that was recently auctioned by Huggins and Scott did not have it.

Brian
Old 05-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Justin

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/

Last edited by midmo; 06-08-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:21 PM
Justin

Old 05-22-2017, 12:29 PM

Dan is looking for info for cards with Blue printing on the back that would have the Sox emblem. The Blue back cards were printed in 1936, and indicate on back that Simmons is with the Tigers. If it exists, a blue back Simmons with a Sox emblem got printed before the producers of the cards 'whitewashed' his uniform to eliminate the Sox emblem.

Brian
Old 05-22-2017, 12:32 PM
D.mitr.y D.

A Sox on shirt blue back techically doesn't exist, so I agree that it would be an extreme rarity!

As a side note, I'm almost half way to a master set myself, and currently own 2 of the 3 known Simmons cards (35 Green "Sox on shirt" and 36 Blue "No Sox on shirt" - still missing the 34 "Sox on shirt" version).
Old 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM
Justin

Old 05-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

I'm a semi-diehard. Simmons was sold to the Tigers in December of 1935. Manush was traded to Boston from Washington in December of '35 as well. Cuyler went from the Cubs to the Reds in July of '35. Roy Mahaffey went from Philadelphia to St. Louis in January of '36. Maybe the most interesting is Dixie Walker who went from the Yankees to the White Sox on May 1, 1936. His 1936 blue-back version removes the text about him being on the Yankees. That makes one assume that the '36 versions were printed after May 1 of 1936. And alll of the above team changes were accounted for in the '36 print run.

All in all, it would seem to be highly unlikely that a 1936 version of Al Simmons exists with the White Sox on his jersey, given that it's likely the '36 versions were not released until, at the very earliest, late May of 1936, and most likely even later. Simmons had been a Tiger for 5 months already by May of '36. Maybe there were reprints with blue ink - that I do not know.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:24 AM

I am liking these answers guys.....

and I appreciate all of the excellent input!

Now since Simmons is card #2, I will have to get comfortable and move the entire set up one position throughout the binder.

A true task at hand

thanks again

Dan Mckee
Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 AM

Or just move the Groves and the Simmons down one and put a nice header type of card in the first pocket. Maybe one noting your dad's role in building the set?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A picture of Pops on a Diamond Star card would be really cool. Pops was a really great guy, RIP Pops.....We miss ya'....

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Or just move the Groves and the Simmons down one and put a nice header type of card in the first pocket. Maybe one noting your dad's role in building the set?
Old 05-23-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Now that is a great idea!!!!!
Old 05-23-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
A picture of Pops on a Diamond Star card would be really cool. Pops was a really great guy, RIP Pops.....We miss ya'....
Yes that would be cool! Where is McDaniel when I need him?

Yes Pops was the best!
Old 05-23-2017, 12:16 PM

I have my dad's diamond stars from when he was a kid. A while ago for his 70th birthday I made his baseball card. It proudly is included in the framed set on the wall of the man cave.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keating3620 View Post
I have my dad's diamond stars from when he was a kid. A while ago for his 70th birthday I made his baseball card. It proudly is included in the framed set on the wall of the man cave.
BTW-dad's card bumped Lefty for #1 in the set
Old 05-29-2017, 08:35 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

What is the hardest card to find in this set?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:57 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
What is the hardest card to find in this set?
The high numbers (97 and up) are definitely tough. The correct spelling version of #36 Ernie Lombardi and the #54 Hank "Greenburg" error are also somewhat tough.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:18 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I figured as much with the high numbers. Thanks for the heads up on the other two. I've been thinking about diving in to this set. Mainly because there is no Ruth or Gehrig . I like to think I can get the grove and the highs over time. But I ussallly like to take a swing at the hardest card to get first. It helps me pick up the cheaper cards without feeling like I'm missing out in something. ( I'm not a set collector but I live the look of this set. There is not much on this set when searching the web. So I've been watching this thread also , hoping for some gurus on this set .

Thanks for your response! It was very much appreciated.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:46 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
I figured as much with the high numbers. Thanks for the heads up on the other two. I've been thinking about diving in to this set. Mainly because there is no Ruth or Gehrig . I like to think I can get the grove and the highs over time. But I ussallly like to take a swing at the hardest card to get first. It helps me pick up the cheaper cards without feeling like I'm missing out in something. ( I'm not a set collector but I live the look of this set. There is not much on this set when searching the web. So I've been watching this thread also , hoping for some gurus on this set .

Thanks for your response! It was very much appreciated.
Glad to help.

I'm about halfway done with a graded master set myself, and also love the look of this set.

Already have both Groves ('34 & '35), but missing the Greenberg, Greenburg, "Ernie" Lombardi, Cuyler Reds variant, many of the year/back variants, as well as about half of the semi high and high numbers.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 05-30-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Sounds pretty sweet! Does any grove cards command a premium? Does any one know if there are any cards that don't have a variation?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Dan

I miss your dad every time I go to birminghams. He was one hell of a nice guy and loved cards like we do and I admired his drive and zest for life.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:16 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Sounds pretty sweet! Does any grove cards command a premium? Does any one know if there are any cards that don't have a variation?
I don't think either Grove really commands a premium, but the '34 is harder to find, so I was willing to pay a bit more for it.

You should be able to Google the master checklist - but if you have trouble finding it, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfox View Post
I don't think either Grove really commands a premium, but the '34 is harder to find, so I was willing to pay a bit more for it.

You should be able to Google the master checklist - but if you have trouble finding it, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.
Thanks I'll check it out later. I was looking over the weekend and couldn't find much. Psa card facts seemed to be the only thing that answered any questions I had.