NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-08-2003, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Default Auction(s) results

Posted By: David Seaborn

Now the auctions run by both the Lew Lipset and Barry Sloate have ended, I was curious to see which lots were picked up by board members. It's always interesting to see who picked up what afterwards!

Old 11-08-2003, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I'm not sure how the rest of you do this, but I don't usually ask for call-backs. I get all my fun from the process of figuring out in advance what I want, and how much I'm willing to pay, not from staying up all night waiting for the phone to ring.

This strategy presents a problem for telephone auctions where results aren't posted (Sloate's) - I get up the next morning having no idea if I won or not.

Regarding Lipset's auction, I felt certain I had paid too much for a couple of rare items, but I was happy because I was sure I would win them. Wrong. On the other hand, I won an item I thought I wouldn't, and it didn't even hit my ceiling bid

Old 11-08-2003, 08:33 AM
Administrator

just called in to get results, and I'm very happy

I thought that both auctions were great, as always. If only I could have $100K to play with...

Old 11-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

The Lipset E94 lot of 6, trimmed E90-1 Jackson and M116 Wagner eluded me but I won the E98 Cobb which appears to be in excellent condition as was the last E98 I needed to complete my set.

Old 11-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I had some success in the auction buffet last evening. In Barry's auction I got the Dog's Head Welch and the N172 Welch. In Lew's auction I got the '48 Leaf football lot, and with my friend KO (as opposed to my arch bidding enemy KO) won the lot of 6 Turkey Red HOFers.
Did anyone on the board win the Connor or 4BH in Lew's auction? JC?

Old 11-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Administrator

You might remember suffering through my rather lengthy tirade about an ebay seller selling me a rare Obak card and then succumbing to threats from some who threatened to turn him in (??) Well the guy who outbid me when the card was placed on ebay again consigned it to Barry Sloate and I won it in the auction last night, so the blue background Willis, probably the rarest of any 1910 or 1911 Obak is winging its way to my collection.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

After getting shut out for so long, I finally came away with something from each auction. I got the N172 Jake Beckley in the Lipset auction and the N172 Matt Kilroy in the Sloate auction.

Since the Beckley was an upgrade for me I'll have the old one for sale once the new one arrives. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Jacobs

I picked up the Hanlon and the O'Rourke from Barry's auction. However, I lost out on the Van Haltren cabinet from the 1888 Spalding Australian Tour in the Lipset auction. Never saw one of those before. Lew told me he bought seven or eight from the estate of a relative of one of the players on the tour and had never seen any others.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Kevin--Please send me a scan if you get a chance. There are a few Beckley varieties I need. Lew's (now your) Beckley looked beautiful--great photo!

Old 11-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I recently purchased a couple of cards from an auction after much delay after payment and not receiving the cards I called them to find out what's up. This is what I got for an answer:

They delayed shipping because they could not find one of the cards, thinking they would find the card. Well the card never showed up. they are refunding me the cost of the card plus the juice but nothing extra. I think this is pretty poor. Do we have any recourse, we get blacklisted for not paying and possibly sued, what is their liability? Very dissapointed and not sure if I will bid on there auctions in the future.

Lee

Old 11-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Only got the Leader Theater card....would have liked more ...I did think that most lots went fairly high........regards all

Old 11-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Hodes

I won the Sam Thompson in Barry Sloate's auction but got shut out on the Mayos and the Browning OJ that I wanted.

After looking at the results I think I should have pursued the T205 Hobby (no stats) in Lipset's auction, the price seems to be drifting down towards what I could be willing to pay to complete my set.

Old 11-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ty_cobb

If anyone is breaking up lot 236 or 238 from
Lipset's auction I'd be interested in the
T215 McGraw and Donlin.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

I was the Under bidder on the Dog Heads (sorry Jay), Kalamazoo Bat Boston Team, and the Connor Bat.

As far as everyone saying they won lots I don't agree with that statement. You were just willing to pay more than anyone else wanted to... Now on that said..

I bought from Barry:
#17 Giants accordian PC
#64/65/66 Gypsy Queens

I bought from Lew:
#21 Boston Cabinet
#24 Brown cabinet
#25 Brooklyn Cabinet
#26 Chicago cabinet
#43 McMullen Zeenut
#88 T-4 Obak Cabinet
#171 Cobb PC (I think)
#245 w600 Young (I think)

I was in Vegas last week and each time Barry and Lew called me my voice and memory was getting worse. I wish I had the connor and FBH.

Old 11-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Congratulations on being able to pay more than anyone else on all those items you "bought" - good to hear that your fortunes have changed.

Sincerely, "marker bid boy", someday to become your "underbidder buddy".

Old 11-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

It's a toughie, it'd be nice to hear that a board member grabbed it. I wasn't able to get in on the action this round in either auction, but I would be interested to know if any of the N172's in the Sloate auction went unsold? Just curious to see what might come up next time.

Regards,
Adam

Old 11-10-2003, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Leon, I was a couple bids under you on that Leaders Theatre card (only E121 Leaders known), I did get the Lections Chance (said to be only one known) and J=K Speaker (really wanted the Wagner) along with some PCL Zeenut, and T type card lots. Frank

Old 11-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Adam-the Cushman is a great card that went cheap. Although it is not as scarce as stated in the catalog(I would guess that 5-10 exist) it still is a scarce card. Hopefully, Trevor got it for his registry set. Hopefully, if he did, it slabs.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

I was underbidder on a few lots but was the winning bidder on the lot of 51 T213 type 2 cards.

Old 11-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: OldOriole

I guess I should mention that I won a couple of lots as well since I began the post. I was in such a hurry that I forgot it the first time around. In Lew's auction I picked up the E94 lot of six (sorry about that TBob- let's talk) and the lot of T206's with Cycle backs.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

If the winning bidder in the Lipset auction of Lot 223 (19 T206 with American beauty backs + 13 EPDG) has any duplicate T206 American beauty backs I would be interested.
Thanks.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Administrator

If anyone here has not had the opportunity or inclination to bid in one of Barry Sloate's auctions, I would recommend them most highly. Everyone seems to mention and talk about Mastro, Leland, Lipset, Superior, Hunt's, etc. but not much is ever said about the Sloate auctions. Barry is a great person to work with and always friendly and helpful and is a throw back to the auctions of years ago when everything was a little more "collector friendly." Just my 2 cents.
Also, if anyone here won lot 89 in Barry's auction which was a 13 card E-card lot, I'd be interested in buying the G/VG E94 blue Bescher card. Please drop me a line if you might sell it.
Old Oriole, drop me an email about the lot of 6 E94s in Lipset's auction which you won. I'll be interested to hear from you when you receive the cards to get your take on the condition. Are you planning on having them graded?
TBob

Old 11-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig D

On the slim chance that someone from the board won lot #88 from the Sloate auction, congratulations. On the even slimmer chance that you didn't go after it because of the T3 Tenney, please contact me, I'll take it. Assuming you were going after the Tenney, I'd still love to hear from you as you are certainly a smart and attentive T3 collector. I'd enojy hearing about your collection. Craig - mackeyd@mailcity.com

Old 11-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Two of my favorite auctions and favorite people to deal with (and Collectible Classics).

Old 11-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam Baxter

Jay,

Hopefully, Trevor did get it. I check out his N172 set registry often and the Cushman would make a great addition. The Cushman jogged my memory when I saw it, back to the article on Hypothetical Old Judges you wrote in VCBC. Using that article as a reference, one can come to the conclusion that although the Cushman, Toledo is a great find, a Cushman, Des Moines would be so much sweeter.

Regards,
Adam

Old 11-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

Mark me down for Barry. Class act. Always seems to have time for you.

Old 11-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

If anyone on this board won lot #227 and would consider a sale of the brown Old Mill please let me know. Thanks

Old 11-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan

Jerry, I was going to pound that lot just for that card. Once I knew it was trimmed, I was out. Good luck, dan.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

Dan I once owned a brown Old Mill and it was trimmed. The few other examples that I am aware of are also trimmed. I'm not sure if an untrimmed example even exists. Maybe all the brown Old Mills came from one sheet and were all hand cut.

If someone on this board knows of one which is not trimmed I would appreciate you confirming that one does really exist.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2003, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

did anyone win any of the sf hess cards from barry. what were the final prices

Old 11-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Donald Johnson

Anyone see the Honus Wager T206 on sale at the Leland's auction? First day - and its at the measley sum of $11,000!