NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Default The first published hobby article, 1935....noted here

Posted By: leon

I am going through some more old hobby publications loaned to me by my good friend John Esch.. This article I will be quoting is from the Sports Fan, March-April, 1981. This is one of the newest publications loaned to me so far. I found an interesting article, extremely lengthy, written by Lionel Carter. A short while back I believe someone on the board had asked what Lionel had ever done for the hobby? It seems as though not only was he just about the most prolific writer in the later 30's to 70's, on card collecting and the hobby, but also wrote the very first article ever published on card collecting, even before Jeff Burdick. Here is an excerpt from the 3-4 page article.....(there are a few typos in the article and I left them the way they were written.....)

" As the managers of the various baseball card teams became older, they also became more adult and dropped such childish hobbies as collecting baseball cards; or perhaps they became more adult they became less interested in cards and more interested in girls. Anyway, I ended up as not only without girls but the only card collector in town. "In town" I mean in Colfax Ill., POP 892. I didn't know another card collector anywhere. No hobby papers, no dealers, no conventions, and no collectors. Was still into stamps at this and a regular subscriber to that fine weekly stamp publication, The Kaw Chief Stamp Journal out of Lawrence KS. When the editor decided to add a monthly section about other hobbies, I wrote to him offering my services as a baseball card expert. Thus it was in 1935, that the first article on baseball cards was published. In fact it was the first article on any type of cards, beating by a few months an article on cigarette cards published in the December 1935 issue of Hobbies Magazine. The special section didn't generate the advertising envisioned by the publisher and folded after a year. Surprisingly, although it brought a few cards to my attention, it never put me in contact with another collector. I don't know how I found Edward Golden of Norton Heights Conn., unless it was through an advertisement in the old Grandstand Manager, but Eddie put me in touch with Jeff Burdick in those early months of 1938 and a whole new world of card collecting opened before me."

Old 07-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

Great read Leon. TY

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

great stuff...keep it coming!

pete ullman

Old 07-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Thanks for the article.

Peter C.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Is there a place where reproductions of some of these early hobby publications can be purchased? I enjoy the reading, thanks Leon!
Rob

Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I wish there were a place where we could just buy all of the old publications already copied. I don't know of any place like that. As you are in the hobby continue to ask friends if they have old publications and if they would mind if you make a copy for yourself. Usually if you are polite, and are really in it for the knowledge, and not to make a profit off of them, they will let you do it. I promised my friend I would never reproduce any of the ones he let me copy.....they are for my personal use only....He knows how passionate I am and had no issue.....good luck....also, I will try to post some more stuff like this soon. Even though only a few respond I am pretty sure a lot of folks like reading this old stuff. I thought this was particularly neat as it mentioned the very first published card hobby article.....regards

Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well I've found a library that has the December 1935 issue of Hobbies Magazine, but they want to know the name of the article before they'll copy it. And they want some money. I'm going to send them money and an SASE, whatever I get I'll scan and post.

Frank.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I wonder if some antique/book shops that carry old magazines, newspapers, and publications might have this kind of stuff ?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Maybe you can tell them it was concerning baseball cards and was written by Lionel Carter? That should peg the correct one.....I would love to read it.....

Old 07-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

SCD, of all places, actually wrote (not too long ago) about an earlier and no doubt more widely read article about tobacco cards. In the May 4, 1929 issue of The New Yorker, Arthur Folwell--in a article entitled "A New York Childhood - Cigarette Pictures"--writes about his youthful experiences collecting these little gems. Wonderfully whimsical piece, it has a picture of an Allen & Ginter Glasscock, a discourse on "Gold Coin" ballplayers, and pays homage to Old Judges ("There has never been anything like the Old Judge ball players"). The article, which basically ends in scope before the turn of the century, covers all types of cigarette cards, but it's obvious the writer is a baseball fan.

I have a PDF of this piece, which I'll be happy to send along...

Old 07-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Neat stuff.....Please do send a pdf to my email. I would love to read it. Back in 1981 I am sure Mr.Carter had no clue of the other article. It's freakin' amazing the way info flies now compared to even 20 yrs ago....None of us would have near the collection, in the time it takes to assemble one, without today's technology, imho....regards

Old 07-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Hobbies Magazines from the 1930's that Burdick had articles in......I'd be glad to copy them all for a few bucks postage and copying fees......email me if you want a copy.....

Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

With the lightning fast spread of information, vintage cards may become interesting to a greater segment of the population. Then we'll get more scans.

Peter

Old 07-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

If there's no copywrite issue, maybe the collectors that have these could make copies & make them available for others at the National. Just a thought.

Alan

Old 07-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Leon,

Did Lionel Carter write the one in the 12-1935 Hobbies Magazine?? The way I read that initial post, Lionel wrote one before one appeared in HM, but it didn't say it was before his own article in HM...

Frank.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

I don't know if he wrote one in the later magazine....he mentioned he wrote one before that but I am not sure it said the exact one he wrote the first one for. Also, Joseph was nice enough to send me the earlier article too, circa 1929....very cool....info in the hobby is always getting updated and that's a good thing.... I know of a ton of stuff that has been updated in the last several years....