NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Observations of Shipping Cost Complaints

Posted By: davidcycleback

This is not a complaint but an observation. I am both a seller and buyer, and I would complain if someone charged me $50 to ship an index card. There also has been no recent complaint about my shipping charges, so this isn't a self serving beef because some eBayer got up my nose.

I have literally sold thousands of items on eBay. I often ship large items (painting, book, oversized print/photos, jerseys) where I have to guess beforehand the shipping cost. I won't know the cost until I get the receipt from the PO. With large items I usually underestimate the shipping cost. These underestimates are no big deal and I count it as part of business.

Looking back at all my sales I have never had a buyer reimburse me or offer to reimburse me when I undercharge for shipping. I wouldn't accept extra money anyway, as the shipping was quoted as part of the auction description and it would be incredibly cheesy to ask for more $$ after the sale.

So my question is how many of those who complain about overcharges have ever, on their own, reimbursed the seller as they were undercharged for shipping? Has anyone ever paid $10 shipping, saw on the package label that the shipping was $15 so paypaled the seller $5? And if you have never done this, why should should your complaints about being overcharged for shipping be taken seriously?

As innacurate shiping cost is such a pressing issue for many buyers, it is my opinion that when someone complains about being overcharged for shipping (assuming the shipping cost is stated in auction, is within the realms of sanity and the item is packaged/shipped well), this person should go back through their purchases for the last three monthes and reimburse the sellers where the stated auction description shipping cost was less than the actual shipping cost.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Hi there,

I charge $4 for an ungraded item, $7 for graded. Both prices cover full insurance. I also combine multiple items at no extra charge (so much less hassle then having to potentially deal with a non-payer)

I pay the extra costs if there are any. My rates include bubble envelope, two thick cardboard slabs to protect the card, printing/taping/handling/shipping at PO. I've had no complaints and if I am buying an item and shipping is over priced, I won't bid. If shipping was $50, I'd expect the item (depending on size) in my hands the next day.

$50 for an index card is nuts. I'd charge $14.00 at most, and at that price you'd have it the next day.

-Kyle-

Old 01-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I sold a $40 card on the BST here. I said that it would include shipping and insurance. The buyer who took it failed to inform me that he lived in Canada which makes shipping significantly more expensive. Granted, I should have stated that the price included shipping in the US, but I would think it would be a common courtesy for someone in this situation to inform the seller and see if additional shipping costs apply. Live and learn.
JimB

Old 01-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I have had sellers reimburse me for what they thought was an overcharge of postage and have done it on a few occasions myself when I over estimated the postage, but never have I had someone send me money for not collecting enoough, which happens on bigger items.

I have found that using the postage shipping calculator has helped to elievate some of that problem.

Jim, I agree with you on the B/S/T thread that if you are living in another country that you should expect to pay a little more for postage and to infor m the seller prior to the sale of the fact you live in another country.

Lee

Old 01-31-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t206King

hey JimB,
Sorry about that. email me and we can work out what the difference was
Bill

Old 01-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

i agree David.
sounds like equity and justice to me.

best,

barry

Old 01-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Ive never had a buyer reimburse me when the cost to ship was higher than the amount collected. Though I did have one buyer claim that he had to pay additional money when the package was delivered and asked me to cover it. I declined when he failed to come up with any receipt for the alleged COD.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

I guess that I am thinking a bit differently on this subject. Shipping costs are factored into my bid amount.

I never even consider what stamps are on the envelope.

This seems to be a trivial pursuit, imho. After all, the top loaders, sleeves, tape, fuel cost to the post office, wear and tear on your shoes, nerves, and free time, etc. all have to be factored in.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: erstevens

I've never been undercharged on shipping, so I'm not sure what I'd do if undercharged. I'd probably faint first. Maybe I'm not a very representative buyer - strictly small time and low grade material. Regardless, in my experience, I have always gotten the short end of the stick in shipping. As a result, I have a hard time feeling a lot of pain for sellers who occasionally undercharge for shipping. Typically, the sellers determine the terms of the deal. If you undercharged, then you can't really blame the buyer. - Erland

Old 02-01-2006, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I sell truck Hoods and BIG Bumper Covers which all ship Truck freight (18 wheeler). As most know, there is a residential fee that the freight company charges which range from 25-50 dollors. Some sellers do freight collect which I think hurts an auction becasue the buyer does not know the total cost and if he lives in BFE the freight could be 200.00 or more. So we do a flat rate to a business at 115.00 or a dock pick up. We tell people they need to add 50.00 to the total if shipping to a residential address.

Most people only want to pay what's on their automatic invoice and try to sneak their home address by us which delays in shipping time. I think there is not one company out there that can move bigger packages in a timely manor and at a good fair price. By the time UPS/Fed-X/DHL hit you for oversize fees and DIM weight you are toast! Dealing with the freight companies is like dealing with the MOB!

Old 02-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Administrator

erstevens - As someone who mostly buys and sometimes sells cards, I dont really think you are getting the "short end of the stick". While you may be charged $4 for shipping and the postage may be under a dollar, you are failing to factor in the materials cost (envelopes, top loaders, bubble wrap, tape, etc) that are used to mail your cards or the time involved in properly packaging the cards and getting them to the post office (i.e. the handling).

Old 02-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: erstevens

Josh - I can't argue with you. All I know is my side, and I'm just a buyer (and a bottom feeder at that). Still, how many times have I paid $4 for shipping (and handling) for a #10 envelope with $0.60 postage and a top loader? Granted, these are eBay sellers who probably are not full-service dealers. While I'll admit that I am complaining, I don't think that I have the right to do so. I won't bid on a lot unless it states the shipping charges. I knew the deal going into the bid, and I bid according to the terms of the seller. I've won plenty of auctions, and I've never had one of those #10 envelopes get damaged or lost while en route to me. I agreed to the shipping, and it got shipped.

My problem with some of the posts in this thread is that the seller seems to be complaining that his own assumptions or approximations were wrong. You made the mistake in determining the shipping costs, and you pay for it. You can't turn around and ask the seller for more money. (Likewise, the buyer shouldn't ask for a refund on shipping if the terms are openly stated from the get go.) - Erland

Old 02-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Administrator

gotcha - and I agree that I would be upset getting a card in an unpadded envelope and only a top loader. The worst that ever happened to me was getting a card wrapped in paper in an unpadded envelope - not even a top loader.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

My worst experience was when I won a T206 PSA 4 card on ebay with shipping of $6.00. Since I had won one card, I thought I would bid on a couple of others and have them shipped together, figuring $6 would cover the cost. I won 2 more cards and the seller charged me $18 shipping (no insurance). I was upset but bit the bullet. I received a brown manilla envelope with no packing and the 3 slabs thrown inside. All for $18. Still haven't gotten over that one.
On the flip side, I often pay more for shipping than I ask for. Sometimes I will go ahead and send stuff out priority mail if I am out of the regular bubble envelopes. Where I usually have gotten hammered is in sending out books and other heavy items and I really had no clue they would cost so much. I recently sold a $250 lot of books and asked for $7 shipping. It came to $15 and I went ahead and paid it and never said a word. I, too, have never had a buyer offer to reimburse me for undercharging him for postage...

Old 02-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I usually quote a price and I always eat the difference if I am wrong. I made the bed so I will sleep in it.

If there is no shipping cost quoted on an auction I go into, I assume it will be exorbitant. If the seller is really out of line, I don't pay and either agree to rescind mutually or take the non-paying bidder hit. Who cares...better tha being stuck with a deal that burns your stomach acid.

Canada is an interesting shipping dilemma. I get the impression that it is a lot easier to ship stuff from Canada to USA than vice versa. My experience has been that the ebay shipping calculator is not always accurate on shipments to Canada. One buyer got all whacked out by a shipping quote I gave him because the calculator came up with a certain price and I just passed it on.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

As both a buyer and seller, I can see both sides of the argument. But I have to say that with few exceptions, sellers never "profit" from S/H charges.

I also get annoyed when I list cards for friends, who get pissed I deduct eBay and Paypal charges from their net, saying that I am "making money" with my $3 S/H charges. As others have pointed out, that barely covers shipping; bubble mailer and top loader or related protection. It also doesn't cover the time spent packaging and time depositing the items in the mail. For those of us who have other jobs, this isn't entirely convenient.

Finally- I have always placed standard U.S. postage/rates on shipments to Canada. Why is it more expensive to ship to CN?

Old 02-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I am currently in an argument with a seller about this very issue. I was a winning bidder on Jan. 9th of two poor condition Diamond Stars. Total cost was $10. Buyer listed USPS parcel post shipping at $2.50. I paid the same day I won the auciton. Last week sent an email wondering where the cards were. Seller said he was in hospital and they shipped. I got the cards today in a small envelope with a .39 cent stamp. No padding, and the envelope was partially open. I asked for a refund of $2 of my s/h. I do not think I was out of line. He wants me to send the cards back (using more postage) and he will refund the money. I want the cards and just want my $2 back. I do not think this is an unreasonable request.

As a sometimes seller. I often lose money on s/h but usually it is a few cents here or there. I have made mistakes on s/h and have promptly returned money to the buyer. I once bought something from Canada and was undercharged. When I got the package (2 cards and a book), I noticed s/h was something like $4 more than what I paid. I asked the seller if he wanted more money and he politely said no thanks. Needless to say, I bought more from that seller and made sure to send extra postage.

It drives me crazy when people, businesses, etc. overcharge for shipping. In fact, if I recall, it is a crime to profit on shipping costs. $2 does not sound like a lot but I buy probably 10-12 things a month and if I get overcharged $1 on each, I am losing a lot of money.

Joshua

Old 02-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: t206King

I live in canada, and its vary easy to ship to the states. never had a problem with borders etc etc. the stamps r alittle more($20) but insurance is like 1.50 for $100 to the states(something like that). i think its easier to sell from canada. plus the US dollar is stronger against the cdn dollar so i sell on ebay i exchange it , i get alittle more.

with JimBs post, i will admit it was me lol. i thought i told him i lived in canada. i offered to pay the difference if he reads this. sorry jim!

also with the over charged shipping. it burns me when ppl wont ship to canada for a 10 dollar item. i understand that ppl dont want problems with it but when i ask them to put a 70 cent stamp on the package and seal it in a normal envolope, am i askign to much? i buy low end beaters mostly anyways, so whats one more crease going to do lol. For example i had a lot of 3 t206s i won all hofers. he charged me 7 bucks for shipping, with a bubble envolope etc etc. it came with 1 stamp and he jammed all the cards in one case. i wasnt to happy about that......

Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

T206King,
I just sent you an e-mail. No worries. I appreciate the offer to rectify the situation. As I mentioned in the e-mail I just sent to you, if I were to require a signature on the receiving end in Canada, it would have cost like $14 or $16 (I can't remember the exact amount.). That would have been quite a bit for a $40 card. So I just sent it regular mail with cardboard and a bubble envelope for about a buck in postage. Luckily the card arrived and you were honest about receiving. Since this was the first time we have bought or sold anything from one another, I had no way of knowing. My normal policy when mailing cards is to always require a signature on the receiving end. In the end, it all turned out fine. I appreciate your follow-up and integrity.
Thanks,
JimB

Old 02-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Bland

I got an email yesterday from the seller of an ebay auction I had just won telling me that he was including $2 in my package because I had overpaid him for shipping - how's that for honesty!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Some more food for thought

One will often hear bidders complain that a overcharging seller is "profiting from shipping charges." If one is to use this logic, aren't these same bidders who knowingly accept shipping undercharges likewise "profiting from shipping charges"-- in particular when they are buying to resell?

Again, my rhetorical question is, if these buyers beleive it wrong to 'profit' from shipping charges, should we assume that they are actively reibursing all the sellers where the shipping was undercharged?

Old 02-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Signature on the receiving end.

is a problem for me. My mailman will only deliver these packages if I am there to sign when he is ready to deliver. Unfortunately, I still have to work to support this habit. So, we never meet up.

I therefore have to drive 20 minutes each way to the post office on the weekend, to sign for the card, plus the time there, which varys up to 15 minutes (but typically is 5). This is too much! But so far I have always done it - while cursing the seller every second. Please do not do this to me.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I need two Sony Playstation controller's for a friend of mine. You can buy them in the store for like $20-30 each (depending if they shake when a football player pounds another football player to the ground in Madden) and the prices on eBay for a pair are rather reasonable with some starting prices begin at like $5 a piece. The problem is that to have two controllers sent, it will cost you in the eyes of some, like $15 to $20 shipping for something that can easily be shipped for $6-8.

A lot of people are in the "shipping" business, not the retail business as I have seen fine print ruin a lot of happy winning bidders when they can't combine two three-by-fives and they have to pay $10 shipping where the seller paid eighty-cents. I never make money on shipping on occasions where I have sold something and I have had people complain for a dollar (cardboard costs money, padded enveloped costs money) and I explain to them in simply math where the $5 charge makes sense and even if I didn't get through to them, sent them a buck.

I also see higher shipping costs because of the January post increase and people honestly want the eBay fees and Paypal fees passed on to the consumer. I have never been undercharged for anything but I have lost money on a few occasions (ever send books overseas? geez) and no one has ever asked to pay the difference and if they did, I would pass and think that this person was okay in my book for the offer.

DJ

Old 02-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The reason many sellers, esp. electronics, jack up the shipping to ridiculous heights is to avoid paying final value fees on ebay. If you sell a $20 item for $5 plus $15 shipping, the final value of the item is charged at $5. I suppose you could list a T206 Cobb for $5 with a mandatory $995 shipping charge.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

it annoys me when i have to pay $4 shipping on ebay items, and i get the package, and it said 75 cents on it, and its not even insured.