NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Mike Henry
Mi.ke Hen.ry

Default Gil Hodges Biography

Can anyone recommend a good biography of Gil Hodges? I've found several published in the last 10 years, the most recent being Gil Hodges: A Hall of Fame Life by Mort Zachter. The other two main ones are Gil Hodges: The Brooklyn Bums, the Miracle Mets, and the Extraordinary Life of a Baseball Legend and Gil Hodges: The Quiet Man. Anyone have a preference?

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I got the second one mentioned for this past Christmas but have only skimmed through it so far. I am working in a Clemente biography first.
If if helps I requested the Hodges book from a recommendation of another board member.
Drew
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 PM

BosseFieldBoy---You more than likely have already read this, but if you haven't read Roger Kahn's classic, The Boys of Summer, there's a terrific chapter devoted to Gil Hodges.

The one I recently saw at Barnes & Noble looked very good, and may be the one by Zachter, as I cannot recall neither the title nor the author.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Dave Foster

My latest read on Gil was, "Praying for Gil Hodges," by Oliphant, 2005. Not a straight bio, per se, but captures what it was like as a young boy coming of age in the mid-50's, notably 1955, when the Dodgers captured the hearts of America. The author and his Brooklynite family lived and died with the team. Much focus is on the 7th game of the series. Gives a vivid portrait of what it was like as a working class family living in Brooklyn in 1955 and Dodgers lived in the same 'hood . . . like that would ever occur today. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
My latest read on Gil was, "Praying for Gil Hodges," by Oliphant, 2005. Not a straight bio, per se, but captures what it was like as a young boy coming of age in the mid-50's, notably 1955, when the Dodgers captured the hearts of America. The author and his Brooklynite family lived and died with the team. Much focus is on the 7th game of the series. Gives a vivid portrait of what it was like as a working class family living in Brooklyn in 1955 and Dodgers lived in the same 'hood . . . like that would ever occur today. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
+1...A great Book.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Duane Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
+1...A great Book.

Jeff
Praying for Gil Hodges is an outstanding book as previously indicated. Another great book is Wait 'Til Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It is not specifically about Gil but if you are a Dodgers fan it is a must read.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclarkraiders View Post
Praying for Gil Hodges is an outstanding book as previously indicated. Another great book is Wait 'Til Next Year by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It is not specifically about Gil but if you are a Dodgers fan it is a must read.
Duane is correct...also a great read. I went to Rockville Centre schools and Doris Kearns Goodwin grew up in RVC.

Jeff
Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Richard A.

Was a little while now, but I've read 'Gil Hodges: The Quiet Man'. I haven't read any other Hodges bios, but really enjoyed this one once I got into it.

Cheers,

Richard.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

I also have only read the Quiet Man but thought it was terrific. Didn't even feel the need to read another after that. Were it not for my ex hoarding most of my stuff, I'd send you my copy for free.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 03-07-2015, 01:15 PM

This is off the beaten path, but nonetheless houses a little gem on Mr. Hodges by Tom Seaver.

HOW I WOULD PITCH TO BABE RUTH

Seaver Vs. The Sluggers

Written & Edited by Tom Seaver with Norman Lewis Smith

A Playboy Press Book - 1974

Seaver writes a few pages of introductory material that is very insightful, and filled with meaningful anecdotes. The four pages on Gil were excellent. The bulk of the book are chapters from books, magazine articles, or superb newspaper columns about that particular hitter. Many interesting chapters, including Ted Williams, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Roberto Clemente, and Mickey Mantle.

Again, only four pages on Gil Hodges, but I think you'll hang onto every word from the articulate pen of his ace starting pitcher, the "franchise" of the team. --Brian Powell