NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Default An Ethical Thought Problem

Okay, going off of the thread I started about if you had a 52 topps high sheet, would you save it, or cut it, the interesting array of replies got me wondering:

Is there an ethical concern when it comes to cutting cards from a sheet? Because I keep going back and forth. I mean, is it deceptive in the same way as trimming an existing already cut card to artificially enhance it's condition? I mean, you're not enhancing anything, since the card is technically unfinished. You are finishing the job, and if it is done right, and the card is precisely as it should be if it had been cut originally, what is the harm? Would it make a difference, or would you want to know if a card had been cut from a sheet? Is one under any kind of obligation to make explicit the card he/she is selling was cut from a sheet, especially if they did the cutting? Or do you just pass it off as a card, straight and plain (much as the Gretsky Wagner card has been, despite pretty strong claims it was cut from a sheet).

What do you all think?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
and the card is precisely as it should be if it had been cut originally,
That is the problem -- if you cut it yourself, by any means OTHER than the original cutters used by Topps/Goudey/Bowman/etc., then it is NOT cut "precisely as it should be". ANY card cut from a factory sheet by a collector is not original or authentic, and should never be deemed acceptable in our hobby. <-- that is a period used for emphasis
Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 PM

Would that mean all Redman , Post , Wheaties, etc, not be authentic as those are all cut by people everywhere . Cards cut from a sheet in my opinion are authentic . They left the factory uncut . Does it really matter who cut them ? Brett
Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 PM

It's ethical to say the cards were cut recently as whether or not they were cut recently matters to bidders and the market value. Also, many collectors won't consider at your local Kinko's to be 'factory cut.' Factory cut Topps cards means cut by Topps. I'm talking here specifically about Topps and Bowman type sheets, not Wheaties-- the latter is topic for a different post. A main difference with Wheaties type cards is they were intended to be cut by hand away from the factory. You cutting off a Ted Williams card in your living room is what Wheaties intended-- though you're doing is 60 years later. Topps cards were intended to be cut at the factory and the uncut sheets weren't made for the public.

In general, if there's information you don't want to disclose at sale as you have a fear it will lower the sell price, that's information you should be disclosing.

Last edited by drc; 05-20-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Steve Birmingham

Lots of interesting ways to go with this one.

I believe it's possible to cut a Topps sheet just as the factory would have. All you need is someone at a commercial printer willing to spend the time on the cutter.

I also think it's wrong to cut uncut sheets, even if the factory would have cut them.

The one I wish I could have saved was an 84 Topps sheet made for the mail in program they had. They allowed sending in wrappers or something for I think 20 cards of your choice so you could complete the set. Since the program was abused, with lots of people "needing" all the big stars they had a special sheet with 3 of each of the most popular players. I couldn't afford the one I saw, and it got sold as 3 card panels.

Other cards pose different problems.

Cards with coupons I consider trimmed without them. Redman, zeenut, Hires, most of the Pepsi sets etc.

Cards from boxes I see pretty much the same way. I woud collect complete boxes if I could, but it's not usually practical.

The 84 Nestles I think came as sheets. So I would consider any singles as trimmed since it would have been done after issue.

83 Topps were available as sheets too, but identical to the regular cards, so it would be very hard to tell.

And at least one of the Kelloggs sets I got came as 4 card panels with a tiny bit of backing paper connecting the cards. I've tried keeping them intact, but the cards are gradually making that decision for me.

Steve B
Old 05-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Al Richter

Default 52s

Since I have the set, and since high number cards are easy to find, albeit expensive, I'd keep the sheet, which would be pretty unique. But if I owned it, I'd feel free to do whatever I wanted with it, regardless of what anyone else thought I should do.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Steve

"...Or do you just pass it off as a card, straight and plain (much as the Gretsky Wagner card has been, despite pretty strong claims it was cut from a sheet)."
Wasn't that card the first one graded by PSA when they opened up for business? I seem to recall some allegations that it was trimmed, but, man, was there a suggestion that an uncut sheet was found and cut up in 1980's?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There is no ethical component per se to cutting down a sheet unless you are trying to pass off the resulting card as original for trade or sale. If that is your goal, I'd divide the cards into two classes: those meant to be cut out by the consumer and all others. If they were meant to be cut out by the consumer I see no issues at all. Wheaties, strip cards, etc., everyone knows that they originated at retail as sheets or strips and have been cut out by the consumer. If you are cutting down a Topps sheet to make a card of it in the hope that you can slip it past a TPG and get a high grade so you can sell it to someone without disclosure, however, I don't think it is brain-strainer to realize that you are doing wrong. The Golden Rule applies readily to the situation.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-24-2012 at 12:06 PM.