NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Bry@n

Default Looking for Recommendations on Autograph Authentication Resources

I have a friend who collects signed books (non-sport). He is getting even more into it and he and I discuss the signatures. I don't seriously collect autographs because I know that I don't know enough to prevent myself from getting burned.

Can you guys recommend some good websites or books on how one can teach himself what to look for when evaluating signatures? My buddy will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jobu; 12-17-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:02 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I have never heard of a website specifically designed to help people learn about authenticating autos, but there are plenty of resources out there that can one can use to further someone's education.

Certainly sites like Net54 can be of help giving opinions. PSA exemplars site as well as net searches can yield may good exemplars that can be used to study a specific autograph.

As a general starting point, I would say a few things
1) due your own due diligence. Start by being a skeptic and demand the auto be proven real rather than the other way. Use common sense to answer the simple questions first, like could the item have been signed.
2) Develop a network of people whose opinion you trust to help you.
3) Just look at a lot of autos of the person you want to buy. There is really no "trick" to it.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 12-17-2018, 11:12 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I always look for Jason or Richard to give pointers. This might be the best place to learn.

I know I’ve learned how to spot fakes better.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:56 PM
Casey

Be careful of auto pens. They are used a lot in books. Thomas Jefferson was the first to use. Most politicians use auto pens. Obama was the first to use autopen to sign a law when he couldn't be in person in DC at the needed time. I was burnt on a Billy Graham auto. It looked very real. For books I also like inscriptions by hand.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Andy H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case12 View Post
Be careful of auto pens. They are used a lot in books. Thomas Jefferson was the first to use. .
Didn't realize they went back that far. Always good to learn something new each day.

My GLAC collection (1/240):
https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...gned-postcards
Old 12-17-2018, 08:03 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrightfan85 View Post
Didn't realize they went back that far. Always good to learn something new each day.
The machine Thomas Jefferson used was not an autopen and should not be considered as being in the same category. He used a machine called a polygraph. The machine had two quill/dip pens attached to a series of arms. As he wrote on a sheet of paper with one pen it would make a copy with the other pen. He did not invent it, but did use it to retain copies of all of his correspondence. It was quite advanced and when set properly it is difficult to tell the original from the copy. The autopen relies on a template of the signature without the person being present. The polygraph required the person to be present. If you visit Monticello you will see one.

As for authentically signed books I would consider purchasing books from dealers who are members of the ABAA (Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America). I have purchased some nice signed books from members and they have book shows in all of the major cities in the U.S. Like all collecting you may find a few scoundrels, but there are some very interesting people. There are also some autograph dealers who display at their shows.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 12-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Steve Birmingham

Learning about the authors and a few other things also helps.

One author I like signed a LOT. Some fans joke that the rarest of his books are unsigned first editions. (Terry Pratchett) Of course, with a rather rabid following, finding ones that people are letting go of is not as easy.

Then there are the odd things. Like I bought a couple boxes of books to resell and maybe keep a couple. (Nothing great, but pre-Amazon and the whole box was $5 for maybe 30 books. ) I thought I'd found a good one when I saw a Barbara Bush book that was signed.
Of course it was autopenned, and in enough quantity that the "Signed edition" had its own ISBN.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:47 PM
Bry@n

Thank you for all of the responses, much appreciated.

I am always a bit scared of autographs, so I serve as a good skeptic/wet blanket for him as I get nervous about most signatures.

Do you guys know of a book on this subject? The diligence, working with trusted people, researching other examples, etc is all great advice, but I am wondering if there is a respected book along the lines of "Teach yourself how to authenticate autographs." Obviously one wouldn't come out of reading such a book as an expert, but if there were sections on ink flow, ink types, shakiness, letter shapes and slant, etc it might be useful to get a better sense of what to look for.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:08 PM
Fred

Why not try to find a Christy Mathewson "Won in the Ninth" signed edition. It would even be authenticated by JSA. Sorry, just another jab at the hobby and auto authentication.

Seriously, I wouldn't trust many authenticators. Even the really reputable services are going to miss a few. Anymore, certs, LOAs, etc are useless unless there is some traceable provenance.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:17 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

For starters:

Baseball Hall of Fame Autographs: A Reference Guide
Book by Ron Keurajian

Check prior auction databases for signed contracts and other legal documents. You will develop an eye for it.

Fred obviously does not collect or have time for those who do collect autographs. Anything not signed in front of you is obviously some sort of a gamble. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:59 AM
Andy H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
For starters:

Baseball Hall of Fame Autographs: A Reference Guide
Book by Ron Keurajian
Can't recommend this enough. I just bought the new 2nd edition of Ron's book and it blows his amazing 1st edition out of the water. Great resource if you're neurotic about autographs like I am.

My GLAC collection (1/240):
https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...gned-postcards