NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-26-2018, 12:26 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Postwar Collecting

You guys who are postwar collectors, do you also dabble in prewar cards? If not, did you make a conscious decision to hold the line and only collect postwar?
Old 12-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Larry More.y

Yes, I started on a 33 Goudey set and am 2/3rds complete. I have about half of the 40 PB set and am 12 cards shy on a 41 PB set. I am still missing all of the expensive/key cards from these 3 sets. While not a lot, I have managed to collect about 50 pre WWI cards for my collection also. However, I save most all of my collecting funds for the post WWII cards.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 12-26-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Al Richter

I was born in 1950 and collect predominantly ungraded post war Topps, Bowman and Fleer sets. I decided to stick with the players I grew up with and saw play

The goal of having runs for each led me to work on one prewar set, 1923 Fleer
Old 12-26-2018, 12:58 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

of course I straddle the line. I collect Hofers, so Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Dimmagio and etc. were and are a must to collect as well.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 12-26-2018, 01:46 PM
John Donovan

I like pre-war too...goudey, T206s, and diamond stars to be specific. But post war allows me to get more cards on my budget.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:13 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
You guys who are postwar collectors, do you also dabble in prewar cards? If not, did you make a conscious decision to hold the line and only collect postwar?
I would like to own some pre war cards but due to the expense of the ones I am interested in, I mainly stick with collecting 52 Topps cards.

When pickings are slim, I will dabble a bit in modern and other cards but I have been trying to remain as focused as possible with just my 52's.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:18 PM

I do both. I started out just collecting Topps sets, doing a run from 1951 to current plus most insert sets and some odd ball and test sets. Then I did a run of Bowman sets 1948-1955. Then I moved to pre-war sets. Now I would consider myself more of a pre-war collector, but I still do collect post-war vintage,
Old 12-26-2018, 03:55 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. The reason I brought this up is that I have almost always been a 50s baseball collector. While I don't have every card from the 50s I want, I have a lot of them. In the past, I have toyed with some prewar issues, but nothing ever really took root. Lately, however, I have run across the T210 Red Border cards. In short, I have become really interested in these cards and the old southern minor leagues in general. From what most of you guys have said, my getting interested in a prewar issue isn't that uncommon. It is nice to see it has all been done before by someone else.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Larry

Hi, Robert. I collect HOF'ers and stars, pre-war to the early '70's, plus I went big into the Topps Tiffany's in the early to mid '90's. I now stay away from the current shiny stuff, because you will inevitably overpay for current mega stars due to a large part of the demand for their cards being speculative and transient in nature. Better to wait until they hit their '30's downslide, when those elements will largely have departed and their careers can be more accurately evaluated.

Best wishes on your collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-26-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:15 PM
M.ichael Yaz.back

I too collect post war and pre war. My post war, however, seldom gets past the 50's. I really enjoy collecting the Topps '52, '53, and '54 cards. I'm just about wrapped up with the '54 set. My other love is the 1909 E90-1 cards. I just have a love for both era's. If you enjoy both, I say do both. I think it makes us more well rounded and knowledgeable collectors! Happy New Year
Old 12-27-2018, 06:35 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

My main collecting focus is Yaz, so I’m almost exclusively post-war. However I do have a couple dozen cards from the 1930s and before, including a T206 Providence Grays team set.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Steve

Good question, I think. I grudgingly admit to collecting only postwar issues purely because of an emotional connection to the cards I first saw as a postwar issue myself. Prewar cards are in many cases beautifully designed and very desirable, but due to the accidental time frame of my initial awareness, they have no emotional pull on me, so I leave them to more serious and dedicated hobbyists to fret over.

Last edited by Volod; 12-27-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Ed Jensen

I am primarily a post-war collector but as I have completed most of what I was trying to get I started working my way back into pre-war, starting with the Play Ball sets and then the Goudey and Diamond Star sets. As I get closer to wrapping up those sets, I find little interest in going back any further, and am starting to think I will shift to football and/or hockey, starting from the 70's again.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedDane View Post
I am primarily a post-war collector but as I have completed most of what I was trying to get I started working my way back into pre-war, starting with the Play Ball sets and then the Goudey and Diamond Star sets. As I get closer to wrapping up those sets, I find little interest in going back any further, and am starting to think I will shift to football and/or hockey, starting from the 70's again.
I am the same way (as I am getting close to my T/B/F 48-current run) - I love the Goudeys, Tattoo Oribits, Delongs, Diamond Stars, Play Balls, and nearly all of the cards of the 30's. But, I have little interest in strip cards and even T and E cards do little for me. I do think that the CJ's are a sight to behold, but I don't see a monster in my future. (On second thought, I love T3's and Hassan Triple Folders...)

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 12-28-2018, 09:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

HOF and star collector Anson through Trout.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:38 AM
J0hn Collin$

Robert, we talk so you know my dillemma with this well - but for the others I'll post my thoughts:

First and foremost I'm a postwar collector because of when I started collecting in the 1980's. Back then, cards from the 50's and especially the names like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, etc. were super hot, and I spent a lot of time scheming on how to get my hands on them. Plus the players were all from the era in which my Dad grew up, so he could relate and tell stories and knew who the players were. By the time I graduated to looking at old cards in shops, antique malls, and shows over and above simply buying wax packs at the 7-11 - again these were mostly 1950's and 60's cards and newer. Once in a blue moon you would see a T206 common or something like that, but those were rare occasions and thus those cards never really got a hold on my psyche like 1950's Topps cards did. As I got older I became more aware of and informed on pre-war cards - but all in all I think I was just born too late. Had I been born in 1957 and started collecting in 1966 instead of 20 years later on both accounts - I think I would have stood a much more decent chance of getting into tobacco cards and Goudeys as well simply because they were so much more affordable back in the early days of the hobby. But by the time I was an adult and had any kind of real money to spend on cards - a common T206 in nice shape with decent corners and no creases was generally a $75 item or more. (Today that figure would probably be closer to $200...) For that and a variety of reasons, I just never really got into pre-war when I moved into vintage cards.

All that being said - now that I'm older I do try to dabble in pre-war now. The history is too rich and the sets too nice not to. But I've had to make the consious decision for the most part to do commons and type-examples in certain sets over stars, just because of the price. I'm a Cubs fan, so if I can't have a HOFer out of a certain pre-war set, I'll go back and try to make sure I at least get a Cub. Recently picked up a 1915 Cracker Jack Larry Cheney using that philosophy. Even with Cubs - tobacco era HOF'ers can get ridiculous quick. I can't see myself paying $400 for a PSA 3 version of a T206 Johnny Evers or something like that - when the same amount can get me a PSA 5 or better card of a big-name 1950's star.

At the end of the day I think it's about smart decision making if you are a collector on any type of a budget - which I imagine the vast majority of us are.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-28-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:51 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

My heart is in prewar cards/sets, but my budget is post war vintage. I collect both and love both. My prewar collection includes a wide variety of issues and I'm working on several sets that I can't afford to complete at this time, but in the future I hope to be able to. And for post war, well, I'm collecting quite a bit of that good stuff.

I don't think there is anything odd about dabbling in prewar if you're mostly a postwar collector. It's all baseball cards and history. It seems natural to me to be interested in both.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-28-2018, 05:30 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I do both. I started out just collecting Topps sets, doing a run from 1951 to current plus most insert sets and some odd ball and test sets. Then I did a run of Bowman sets 1948-1955. Then I moved to pre-war sets. Now I would consider myself more of a pre-war collector, but I still do collect post-war vintage,
+1; you described me exactly.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:41 AM
Bi11..R0berts

I collect both Robert. For my pre-war collection, I mostly stick with HOF cards (primarily Goudey and T206) or players that have sentimental value to me. Post-war I have built most of the mainstream sets I have interest in and now I'm looking at more of the "test" or odd-ball issues.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 01-01-2019, 07:17 PM
C@rl P@rk

The centerpiece of my collection is rookie cards, most of which are postwar, but along the way I found the T206 set really spoke to me (thanks, net54!) so I have been working largely on that for the past few years. If something feels right to your collecting soul, go for it!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Brandon Bailey

I collect both and have never really distinguished between the 2. I have far more post war than pre war but that is mainly due to cost and opening wax boxes. I am always a big believer in collecting what you like and makes you happy.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

I collect both. I’m one of those guys that finds a nice card and buys it regardless of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2