NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 PM

Default I Just Discovered A Very Rare Autograph In A Very Surprising Place

So, I mostly specialize in Vintage tobacco and Gum cards and really don't heavily collect Autos unless they have some special "Got it in person" vibe to them. But recently I have been visiting Estate Sales and I purchased a small collection of WWII Letters. In one of the envelopes I found a bunch of rolled up bills, or currency notes that were all taped together. I took these to a coin dealer and he told me they were all ruined because of the tape. He offered me like ten or twelve bucks for the lot of them (there were like 25-30 of them) I said I would keep them try and remove the tape and stick them in a binder for my collection.

Anyways, I was able to separate the bills about 80% with no damage at all to the bills. And as I was going through the bills in the interior of the roll I noticed they were signed by various ppl, apparently known as short snorters and the sigs were from airmen during WWII. As I studied the names I discovered that one of the sigs was none other then Charles A. Lindbergh...I thought it is pretty cool, sometimes you never know what you got.

One question, who authenticates historical items like this? Do I even need to have it authenticated if I want to put it on ebay? I know auto photos of sports stars are often forged and need COA's but what about historical documents and things like the short snorter I found. I know its not a replica sig, and defintitely looks like the examples of his sig I have researched online.

I will scan the bill when I get my scanner running asap.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 AM
Scott

I know JSA certifies "historical autographs" too, but you would likely benefit from someone who is more specialized in this area. An internet search, or maybe Richard on here would know. I can't wait to see the scan.

That is a REALLY cool item, w a great story.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 AM

Default Charles Lindbergh autograph

Hey Tolstoi,
That's an unbelieveable story. WOW! Nice pickup & I can't wait to see a scan when you can post it. Congrats!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

First time I've heard of an offer below face value for currency. Sounds like a dealer I wouldn't do much business with.

Looking at a couple places online, I'm thinking you might do better with a real auction house. Great find! http://www.historyforsale.com/html/d...art=1&signer=L

one of the guys here seems like a good contact.
http://www.charleslindbergh.com/cgi-...c;f=1;t=000675

Persoanlly I'd consider keeping the items together. Or at least the items less the lindbergh auto. As a group especially including the lindbergh they tell a bigger story, and probably have more value both historic and financially.

Some info on Lindbergh in WWII here
http://www.charleslindbergh.com/wwii/

Steve B
Old 03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Ben L

Tolstoi - Great find! I collect old military items and would be interested in buying the short snorters if you decide to sell. The one signed by Lindbergh should bring some nice money and you are probably better off consigning that to an auction house. I would be interested in the other, common short snorters though. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 PM

PSA/DNA does non-sport autographs. Also, you can do a PSA Quick Opinion on eBay.

Last edited by drc; 03-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Default Scan of Snorter

Here is a scan of the snorter with the sig. I am really curious if anyone might recognize any of the other sigs? This was also one of about four or five short snorters in the roll.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lindbergh short snorter.jpg (77.8 KB, 308 views)
Old 03-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Wow!! Great item.Congratulations on your find.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Default Some other Snorters I found in the lot

Here are some of the pics of the other short snorters i discovered in the roll. I also was surprised at the dealer who offered me so little, but I think it was because i had a lot of foreign currency which he said wasn't worth much and he was trying to explain how he needed to make a profit too. I figured pretty quickly to say I just wanted to collect them, and than the dealer told me some useful info about the Hawaii stamped currency in case of Japanese invasion, etc.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg short snorter lot.jpg (78.4 KB, 296 views)
Old 03-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Ben L

Most short snorters sell for $10-$20.00 each. Of course ones with famous signatures or those signed by members of special units will go for more. I like looking up the names of the soldiers, sailors and airmen to see if I can find the unit they were in.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 PM

here are some close up pics as requested

Last edited by tolstoi; 03-07-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
First time I've heard of an offer below face value for currency. Sounds like a dealer I wouldn't do much business with.

Looking at a couple places online, I'm thinking you might do better with a real auction house. Great find! http://www.historyforsale.com/html/d...art=1&signer=L

one of the guys here seems like a good contact.
http://www.charleslindbergh.com/cgi-...c;f=1;t=000675

Persoanlly I'd consider keeping the items together. Or at least the items less the lindbergh auto. As a group especially including the lindbergh they tell a bigger story, and probably have more value both historic and financially.

Some info on Lindbergh in WWII here
http://www.charleslindbergh.com/wwii/

Steve B
History for Sale, while I believe their inventory to be authentic, charges prices that nobody else in the world charges. They are a showroom in Vegas, probably selling to high rollers who have no clue.
They don't buy from the public and they won't auction any items from the public.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Steve Birmingham

That explains why they were first in search.

There were a few other sites, and Lindbergh does seem to sell pretty well.

I still think the group would have a bit more value historically if kept together, and might enhance the Lindbergh as it would give a bit of context.

Steve B
Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Nice find!

(BTW, the entire roll of signed bills, taped together is a "short snorter," not each individual bill.)
Old 03-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Johnny S

That is an awesome story !! I grew up 20 miles from where Lindberg was born and raised, his house was right on the mighty Mississippi, it was always cool to go to where he played as a kid and see a lot of his stuff. In the 1990s a class did an escavation project down by the river and found marbles and toys that were dated to most likely being things Lindberg played with as a kid, the coolest thing was a little civil war soldier. Being in the middle of nowhere was nice to know someone who escaped the midwest and traveled the world. 17 miles the other direction born and raised was Sinclair Lewis, was fun to play sports againts the Flyers and Mainstreeters growing up ! And of course from 30 miles north my favorite Chief Bender !!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Scott

Another reason why collectibles, especially when they cross history like this, are so awesome. That whole story/bills/sigs is AWESOME. I agree keeping them together is a great plan, unless you feel you have to sell the Lindbergh at this point.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:42 PM

I think you guys are right about keeping it all together. So, if I was to put this on Ebay, you think I should lot all the bills together including the lindbergh? I probably should at least sell the Lindbergh because I could use the extra cash and it will be fun to see how it does. Thanks for all the contacts, advice, and info everyone
Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Very cool! The only time I got a "find" like that was at an area auction about 10 years ago. I was there with my parents and my mom bought a box lot of paper ephemera that was mostly vintage Valentines. I think she bought the box for like 40-50 bucks.

The runner brought it back to us and I was rooting through the other paper. I came across an old blank check from a bank in California. I looked on the back and saw "Curly - 3 Stooges" signed on it.

Needless to say, that by piecing out the Valentine's and flipping the Curly sig on eBay, my mom got a nice return.