NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Nate Mack

Default What is the best card you ever traded for?

I was thinking about a trade I made a couple years ago when I acquired a 52 Bowman Mantle and a 56 Topps Mantle in one trade. This was mind blowing to me! I never imagined when I restarted collecting that my collection would be half of what it is today, and I for sure never thought I would own these cards.

Story goes, I started a conversation with a fellow trader about some of the sets I was working on and he mentioned that he had those 2 cards that he was willing to trade. He in return was looking for a large group of cards so he could make trades with other people. I proceeded to lay out several hundred cards (mostly commons with some HOFers) from the 50's to the 70's and asked if it was what he wanted. He said ok, and the rest was history... Or at least history for me!!

So, I wonder... What was your greatest trade? And what did you have to give up in return?

Thanks for sharing,
Nate Mack

Currently working on:
53 Topps, 61 Topps, 52-55 Redman, 47-66 Exhibits, 53 Bowman color, 52 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, 64 Topps Stand Ups

My trading page:
http://natesbaseballcardtradingco.weebly.com
Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

My 1 and only trade --was last year
I got a sgc 55/4.5 1948/49 Leaf Jackie Robinson and gave my 1952 Berk Ross- SGC 60/5 Mickey Mantle and 1952 Berk Ross- SGC 80/6 Ted Williams plus 150$ cash

I believe those cards were still selling on Ebay afterwards
Old 01-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Tom

I have mentioned this story before. During the summer of 1971, I was being tutored in Math at a teachers house with other students. A girl there wanted my 1971 Topps Mets team card and offered me an older card for it. I jumped at the deal because I wanted the older card. That card was 1968 Topps Kooseman / Ryan rookie.

Also during the summer of 1973, I traded a 1973 Topps Willie Mays for an entire shopping bag loaded with 1970 Topps cards!
Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 PM

I was at a card show in Brooklyn in the late 70,s . I had a job with the promoter helping set up tables as a teenager. This show was bi-monthly and my face was very known so Dealers that set up there would ask me to watch there table while they went to get something to eat and would usually offer me something off their table (great memories). Anyway the first Price guide book by Beckett/Eckes had just come out that week and whatever was available at the show sold out in hours and the rumor was that the price guide would not be available for several weeks after the initial printing and I happened to have an extra. A guy walks in and sees me with a guide in my hand and offered me 3 cards. All 1957 Topps. Mantle, Mays and Aaron. He explained that he promised the book for a friend and needed it bad and every dealer was out. I still have the 3 cards and they are in N-MT condition
Old 01-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Sam Lemoine

Summer of 1976: We lived down the street from New Orleans Jazz player E.C. Coleman. A friend wanted to get an autograph and I had the only EC card around. He ended up trading me from a box of cards his dad gave him a bunch of cards which included a 1960 Topps All-Star Mickey Mantle and a 1952 Topps Ed Mathews. A few years later I traded the Ed Mathews for a stack of early 60's HOFers including Mantles, Aarons, Mays, etc. All for one 1975-76 Topps basketball common.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Marc S.

T-206 Proof of Kitty Bransfield. The colors simply pop-
Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Nate Mack

Default Awesome

What great stories!

Thanks for sharing!
Nate

Currently working on:
53 Topps, 61 Topps, 52-55 Redman, 47-66 Exhibits, 53 Bowman color, 52 Topps, 51-55 Bowman, 64 Topps Stand Ups

My trading page:
http://natesbaseballcardtradingco.weebly.com
Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Not as big now but funny to think about. I was working on a trade back around 1991 for a 1989 Upper Deck Griffey rookie. I had a few smaller cards trying to coax a deal. The card that pushed it over the edge? 1990 Score Bo Jackson football/ baseball bw card.
Funny to think any score card from 1990 could complete a trade.
Drew
Old 01-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Picked up a 1958 Bell Gino Cimoli SP as a throw-in on a deal. Sadly, sold it many years ago.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Glen R. Turner, Jr.

Default Best Trade

I think it was about 1978 at a card show in the Astrodome.
I traded 2 1955 Rodeo wiener cards and 1 1954 Wilson wiener card
for a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle.
At a card show in Ft. Smith, Arkansas about 1976, I obtained my
1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card. I had to trade CASH though and
it was $35.
Guess what? I still have the Mantle cards.

A through the mail trade I think around 1980, I traded a 1952 Topps
Willie Mays (paid $5. for it) for 3 TY COBB signed checks.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default traded for

I received a 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig card from an all time card collecting legend - Brock Haddox !
Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 PM

Pardon my French, but holy shit, guys, why are there NO SCANS IN THIS THREAD???

C'mon, y'alllll....
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 PM

Default Aaron

I was fortunate early last year to be making a trade with a guy who had a handful of vintage cards in his pocket and wanted to get some newer rookie cards. After he picked out about 10-12 lower valued cards and I added a couple more to make things closer to even, the guy pulled two more cards out of his coat pocket and said "you might want these cards too". He set down a 1967 Topps Hank Aaron and then a 1954 Aaron with a punch hole in it. He said this ain't worth much at all with the big hole in it but I'll throw these two in for free. I told him that even with that hole in it it's still worth something so he should pick out something else to go with what he wanted. Nope, I was told... "I'm good with these, you can have them cause they're all extras"

Photobucket - http://s26.photobucket.com/user/Cardmark/library/
Old 01-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Bob F.

Two trades stick out in my mind. I was at a show in the late '80s and I had run out of cash, and I desperately needed ten top loaders (plastic). A dealer was willing to give me all ten for a 1970 Topps Tom Seaver card (EX). Seemed fair.

I also traded a sixth year card of an over-the-hill outfielder for a rookie card of the newest Reds' reliever in 1969. Wayne Granger was THE THING in my neighborhood, and who wouldn't trade a '68 Rose for his rookie card?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Ben North

This trade had a card involved. I was at a gun show in around 90-91 and a dealer just got in a Walther PPK that I wanted. I was just there to look as I was broke. I found another dealer that sold guns, old fishing equipment, and baseball cards. I traded him a 1966 Sandy Koufax in NrMint condition for a 38 S&W revolver. I then traded that gun for the Walther PPK. The best part was the dealer did not look at the Walther close and thought it was a USA version and it was really a Made in Germany model.

Long story short I started out with a 66 Koufax and ended up with a $800 pistol. The gun came in the factory box with the target they used at the factory for test firing it. Still have the gun even though I haven't shot it in years.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Daryle Barbee

1888 N172 Old Judge Dummy Hoy......
Old 01-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Kev1n @1les

I was at a show as a 10 year old in 1982. I had a complete 1981 set in my binder and was sitting in the lobby. A teenaged kid walked up and asked if I would be willing to make a trade. He needed to complete his 81 set and would trade me a '58 Ted Williams in exchange. I spent about $20 for the set and was pretty proud of it but after thinking for a minute, I decided to do the deal. I cannot remember how many cards he took - it was less than 50 and did not include Fernando or Raines or any major stars like Reggie, Schmidt, Rose, etc.

Of course, in my wisdom, I went proudly into the show ready to sell Ted(??). I ended up making a 3-1 trade where I got a 74 Ryan and two other cards that I can't Remember. I ended up with a 69 Bench at that show, although it slipped through my fingers like Sand - probably for a some late 70's star. So, what started out as a good trade turned badly in a hurry.

Although it wasn't card for card, another deal as an 8 year old at a show goes down as the world's worst deal. In second grade, our teacher's aide saw that I collected cards. She asked me if I wanted to trade. My shoebox of 1980 Topps were my prized possession and I had no desire to part with them. However, since she was a family friend and went to our church, I decided to do it.

A couple days later she came over with a shoebox from 70-75. Multiple Aaron's Mays', Clemente, Gibson, Kaline, Brooks and Frank Robinson, Brett, Yount, Schmidt - every superstar from that era - many times multiples. In addition, she brought Basketball and Football from those years as we. Tall Boy Alcindor, Wilts, Wests, Oscars, Dr. J on the Squires, Unites, Staubach. It was every single card of significance in those 6 years. All in fantastic condition - especially the 74s and 75s

Fast forward to about a month later. I gave away a bunch of the doubles to friends - especially Mays and Aaron - but the collection was still awesome. I wanted to go to a card show because I had heard that my cards were valuable. Forget the fact that I was 8 years old and my only need for cash was to buy baseball cards - like the ones that were so generously given...

Melanie went with me to the show. I walked and went to the first table I saw that said they were buying. A guy proceeded to pick through all of the super duper stars and pulled out about 75 cards. He offered $8. He had a 1980 Topps set that I desperately wanted and I tried to play hardball and ask for $14 (the price of the set). He said $8 was the best I could do. So, I took it. I then found the next table that had a buying sign. I sold him the remaining cards in the box for $5. I then borrowed a dollar from my mom to buy the 1980 Topps set from the first table that I went to - so it was almost a trade. I then proceeded to okay games daily with my 80 cards (especially George Brett) to the point where corners were so rounded that they looked like the circular cards by the time I was done.

Although my $14,800 for $6,100 + $2,000 in stuff I kept is tough to top in the grand scheme of bad deals. I can say that my penchant for bad deals goes way back and leaves emotional scars. When I first did the bad deal last August, my wife told me (only half jokingly) "you are the only guy that buys $2,000 worth of cards for $15,000 and sells $2,000 worth of cards for $13 (of course in 1980 they didn't carry that much value but it was pretty funny and spot on)

The only good thing about that deal in 1980 is that it left a permanent mark. As I got older, I would go to card stores and show the boys all of the cards that I used to have. One evening while looking at what they were worth on EBay, my wife uttered the words that she now regrets "I wish you would stop whining about cards that you sold 30 years ago. If you want them, just buy them back!" Within 2 weeks I had bought all sets from 1971 to 1984. Over the last 2.5 years, I have made it back to '56. She reminds me that she was only talking about the cards and years in the shoebox.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 AM
Jeff Carlson

It's not nearly as significant as many of the above examples, but I got back into collecting in 2011 and, for that year only, collected the Topps Flagship set. That was the Diamond Giveaway year where you could put in codes at the Topps site and win virtual rings. Get enough unique rings and you could win prizes. I got enough rings to get a special factory set.

I ended up flipping the set for a 1971 Mays, Clemente, Aparicio, and Yastrzemski.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:59 AM
Mike Dugan

Glen- I attended my first two card shows in 1976 in Ft. Smith! The first was at a small building in a park and the second was at a motel on the south end of town. Both were put on by the great John England.

At the first I purchased an Old Judge, Bushong St. Louis Browns for $4.00 and bought 1975 Topps football wax boxes for $1.00 each!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Fred

about 10 years back I traded about 35-40 graded (psa 5-6) 55 Topps all Americans which were doubles from my set for a group of about 6-7 HOF from the t206 set SGC 2-4, from the PSA boards. helped us both out as he was starting that set and I was thinking about doing the t206.

this was with a gentlemen I never met from Texas I believe, traded through the mail, all went smooth and perfect and I love those t206 cards to this day.

great hobby with great people no matter the crooks that try to change that. especially this board and PSA.

I have had a couple very nice trades recently filling holes in sets with people here as well. nothing ground breaking but filling needs.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 AM
J0hn Collin$

Back in my mid-20's (when I spent both too much time and way too much money on cards) I made a trade for a '49 Leaf Ted Williams in about EX or EX-MT condition. It was a beautiful card. Wish I still had it today, but that was a different time and place for me in terms of my collecting goals and practices...
Old 01-20-2015, 09:21 PM

Smile

Back in the early 80's the Rose rookie was red hot. I had a nice '63 complete set and a friend wanted to trade for the Rose. I didn't want to break the set so he astonishingly offered a '53 Topps complete set even up for the '63 set. I couldn't agree fast enough. I had to upgrade about 20 commons but the rest of the set was outstanding. I still have that '53 set and every time I see those NM high numbers I smile. I replaced the '63 set gradually over the next 10 years when the hype faded.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:57 PM
Arnie

I was breaking up my collection as I was condensing to only New York cards, and I had a few thousand commons and minor stars from the 1960's and I traded all of them to a dealer friend for a 1954 Bowman Mickey Mantle in real nice shape.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:26 AM

Back in the early days of OBC, when we were on Prodigy, one member and myself decided to reverse the worst trade in Mets history, so I sent him 100 Jim Fregosi (all years) cards for a Ryan rookie. It didn't reverse the curse on the Mets, but it was a lot of fun trying to find the Fregosi's.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Jesse Lent

Couple years back I traded about 20 crap jersey patch cards (all one colored patches) for a 2011 Bowman Sterling Mike Trout rookie. Base value at the time for that was about $40 but I recently sold it for $190. I wanted to hold onto it. But when the value quadrupled I had to sell it.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:21 PM

Cool thread. I was 12-13 years old. Back in the fall of 1984, maybe spring of 85, I traded two Don Mattingly rookies away. Both were heavily off-centered. I let the pair go for a 1955 Ted Williams. I still have that Williams card and I love it!
Old 02-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

This wasn't exactly a trade, but when I was in fifth grade I was really in to the Topps Heritage sets (that year's design was based on the 1957 set) and when my neighbor's son got in to card collecting as well, I fixed him up with some of my duplicates. A couple days later, my neighbor came by with what was left of his card collection from when he was growing up, as a thank you for what I'd done. They were mostly 1967-68 Topps, with a 1957 Wilmer Mizell thrown in. There were maybe 10-12 cards total. Fast forward about a decade, after I had been out of the hobby for a few years, and I decided to send off some of those old cards to be signed. That got me back in to collecting, and I haven't looked back since.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Bob McLean

Traded a Bench Rookie for a 400 count box of Sandberg, Boggs, and Gwynn rookies. I have no idea where the card fairy sent that man from, but that was a time when those three had some value. I told the guy it was a bad deal for him but he said he didn't care, he wanted that Bench Rookie. I can only assume the man bought large lots of rookies when they were ten cents apiece or something. I've never figured that one out.

Traded a 90 Upper Deck BB Wax Box for a very nice 1966 Mantle.

Traded a few mid grade Mantle cards for a beautiful 1953 Jackie Robinson.

My worst was as a twelve year old. 1961 Mantle for a 1961 Bob Nieman. I had two Mantles and did not have that Bob Nieman and I had to have it.

Last edited by CurtisFlood; 02-09-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Roy W.
Banned

Late 80's as a kid, traded a 1986 Topps Jerry Rice rookie for a 1966 Topps Mantle.....over time now, I won the trade
Old 02-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Mike Dugan

In 1986 I got lucky when McDonald's put out their football cards. There was a different color scratch off each week for four weeks if my memory serves me correctly?

We had the Dallas Cowboys and the All-Star sets each week in our area. I went to the two local stores and the managers allowed me to actually take home cases, sort out team sets and return them??? I put together many set of Cowboys and All-Stars. I then responded to ads in the Sports Collectors Digest for trades. It was pretty easy though I remember the Saints having a tough color, maybe blue?

I took some of these free to me sets to a card show and traded for a 1953 Topps Mantle, a 1953 Topps Paige and a 1951 New York Yankees yearbook.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Jay T.

Traded some mid 80s Donruss, Fleer and Topps rookie stars (Mattingly, Boggs, Gwynn, Sandberg etc.) for a 1952 Topps Mays.

Contrarily, I traded a 68 Ryan Rookie (before it went up) for a 68 Mantle game card.