NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Default What is "Moderate Restoration"?

Posted By: Dan Bretta

And how does it affect value? I watched the two decal bats in last nights Mastro auction and was wondering what you guys thought about these two auctions

Joe Jackson bat
http://tinyurl.com/2k9wmo

Frank Baker bat
http://tinyurl.com/2v4dvs

What kind of restoration is acceptable? and how much do you think these bats would sell for without any restoration?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Well, this is a great question, which I suppose has no definitive answer. I believe this fits the category of "to each his own"...

I personally avoid anything with restoration, period. Although these bats both look nice, I pefer those that are completely origial and true to form. The restoration would always bother me, and I would likely look at the 5% restored part more than the 95% original part.

I would much rather go for a slightly flawed example that is all-original. That's just me, though. I have monitored these things closely throughout the years, and if the restoration is well executed, it can enhance the piece and add value to one that was, say "VG" prior to the restoration.

So to answer your question, I would say that a completely original NRMT example would go for 25-30% more than a skillfully restored example that is NRMT (in appearance). I personally would opt for one in about "EX" condition that costs less, and is true to its original form. Hope this helps...

Old 12-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

I think what hurt the Jackson bat was that it was re-finished as well as having the decal restored. I'm with Mark on this -- ideally you get an original bat that hasn't been touched even if it's not in as nice condition as a restored version.

Mark, it's like that Tigers doorstop -- you can get one that has been nicely repainted, but I much prefer having one that is original, even if its paint is chipped a bit. (And certainly I think the unrestored version is worth 3 or 4 times as much.)

Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Aaron is right... the Joe Jackson Bat suffered from surface refinishing in addition to the decal touch-up.

Dan... has your Wagner Decal Bat arrived yet? From the pics you posted, it appeared to be all-original with no touch-up. Is this right? Are you happy with it?

Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

A funny thing about restoration is that there are things that I feel are ok to restore, but there are others that I think should never be touched. I don't think anything in the collectibles market should be repainted, or refinished, but I do think certain paper items, such as lithos, are alright to be "restored" if it helps to preserve them for years to come. I've had 19th century lithos touched up by removing water stains and torn edges repaired and I've had reversed on glass signs have paint repairs as it has helped stabilize the existing paint from continuing to flake. I guess it's just personal preference.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Hey Mark, the Wagner bat is in Omaha's UPS distribution center as I type this...It's supposed to be delivered on Monday. I'll take some pics and measurements when it gets here. Thanks for all the info.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Greg:
I agree with you, about restoration of paper items. It is more acceptable with "paper", especially if it prevents further damage. If the restoration can keep a tear from extending or a hole from enlarging, it's definitely a good thing. A lot of the high-end ad signs and store displays you see in Catalog Auctions have undergone professional restoration that has not hurt (and rather helped) the value.

Dan:
Would love to see pics of the Honus Bat once it arrives. I imagine it will be way too nice to part with, but you could probably flip it for a healthy profit if you so choose!

Old 12-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

As you know, it's amazing what these restorers can do, Mark. We've used a company in Chicago a couple of times (the name escapes me at the moment). We've restored a few 1880-1910 lithographs over the years and it has definitely stabilized the pieces. Of course, it aint cheap...by any means.

A fellow Sox collector friend of mine has had some photos restored in order to stabilize cracks or folds. In my opinion, this is not done to deceive anyone, but done to preserve the piece (for some reason, we're hung up sometimes on "grades" or conditions - mostly from what I can determine by the ugly dollar).

Of course, if a piece is stable just as it is, leave it alone. I don't think anything should be refinished or repainted to improve appearance.

Greg