NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The future of this autograph forum

Hey Guys,
With a main person leaving and probably a few others gone too, is there going to be enough activity to keep the autograph forum separate? Should it be kept separate? To me it's mostly about the amount of activity. If you guys want to keep it separate I suggest you either post in it or don't say anything if it is merged back into the memorabilia section. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. We shall see...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey Guys,
With a main person leaving and probably a few others gone too, is there going to be enough activity to keep the autograph forum separate? Should it be kept separate? To me it's mostly about the amount of activity. If you guys want to keep it separate I suggest you either post in it or don't say anything if it is merged back into the memorabilia section. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other. We shall see...
Please keep it separate, I check this sub-forum way more frequently than the others
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

I thought that one of the reasons for keeping it separate was also so that the bickering and debates inherent with autograph discussions wouldn't continue to take over the Memorabilia forum...? Kind of our own little back-room Fight Club. I wouldn't take a quiet period in between bouts as a reason to shut the club down and/or bring the usual brawls out into the front offices of the Memorabilia forum.

So my vote would be to keep things where they are, and assume that regular posting will resume once the dust settles.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I thought that one of the reasons for keeping it separate was also so that the bickering and debates inherent with autograph discussions wouldn't continue to take over the Memorabilia forum...? Kind of our own little back-room Fight Club. I wouldn't take a quiet period in between bouts as a reason to shut the club down and/or bring the usual brawls out into the front offices of the Memorabilia forum.

So my vote would be to keep things where they are, and assume that regular posting will resume once the dust settles.
+1

I guess that would all depend on who left.

In Jim, we lost a knowledgeable gentleman who had great stories. I don't personally know the man but he seems like a very good guy. Pretty sure everyone is sorry to see him go and I doubt anyone TRIED to run him off. The board apparently became something he didn't feel comfortable with anymore.

Others start threads against "ABCs", auction houses ect.. left and right bad mouthing every chance they get. Which, in turn, creates controversy and emotional responses. As Mr. Newton would say: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." If one is going to throw sh*t, expect some in return. Not everyone is a follower and there will always be different perspectives. This is what the board became and why IMO.

If it were simply collectors, I would say merge. However, after all these emotional threads.. I would definitely keep it separate.
I am assuming we lost some very vocal people or you would not have even asked this question based on the heated discussions thus far in 2013. If that is the case, I find it all very ironic; board devoured itself.
I hope that it becomes a place collectors can openly share information and learn from one another. After all, this is supposed to be fun.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 05-06-2013, 09:32 AM

Man,

This place existed years before I even started collecting......finally come across it and bam, now this. I suggest keeping this forum separate. Just because there aren't as many posts doesn't mean nobody's on it. I visit this page daily. This is the only 'good' autograph forum I've found on the net thus far...All others deal strickly with TTM stuff, which I can care less about.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Leon, when this site started Jim was not even a memember. He is my friend but there is no main person on this site then and there is still no main person now.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Steve Zarelli

I wasn't initially crazy about creating the autograph subforum, but I have come to like it. I'd keep it as-is.

There will be natural ebb and flow, but as far as I can see, it's still a relatively active forum even during the "slow" times.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Also keep in mind that when all of the Autograph drama was taking over the Memorabilia boards before, several seasoned Memorabilia posters either had stopped or were threatening to stop posting because they were tired of what they saw as infighting and bickering in the autograph threads. So if the intent is to retain those who tend more towards helpful/informative discussions rather than infighting, I'm not sure what shutting down the autograph sub-forum would accomplish that at all, and would likely exacerbate the situation. If it's strictly a matter of the number of posts being made, I expect things will pick up again, just as they did after the initial lull when the sub-forum was first established.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:

+1

Leon, if serious about rolling the Autograph forum back into the memorabilia forum, it might be a really good idea to let the primarily Memorabilia focused members weigh in on whether they support that action. I have my own ideas as to what their overwhelming response is going to be. And I have to agree with Shelly in that Jim Stinson, like myself, was a relative newcomer to this forum (although I personally value Jim's opinions and experiences above my own).

Just my two-cents worth.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 05-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Not sure why the question was even asked. This forum has far more posts and views then any of the others. If some people leave, so be it, others will come and life goes on.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'd vote to keep it separate so that the rancor here doesn't infect the memorabilia section.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I'd vote to keep it separate so that the rancor here doesn't infect the memorabilia section.
+1

The latest series of events proves this section needs to be segregated from the rest...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Leon,

I'm with the majority. Keep it separate for all the above reasons.

Is a signature required to cast a vote on this thread?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-06-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
+1

The latest series of events proves this section needs to be segregated from the rest...
Segregated and quarantined.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Steve Zarelli

LOL

While I agree personal attacks and incivility should not be tolerated, is it really that bad here?

I've seen much, much worse elsewhere, and even at it's most vitriolic, this section is relatively tame.

Wouldn't it be kinda boring if we all agreed and sang Kumbaya all day long? We have some passionate people here... it's going to lead to dust ups.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Not sure why the question was even asked. This forum has far more posts and views then any of the others. If some people leave, so be it, others will come and life goes on.

i agree with that. there is a thread with 27,000 views with 589 replies and 59 pages long. yeah, we have been real quiet.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Jeeze Zip why do you always want to start a fight
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Banned

there is a separate forum for game used 1980-present which last post was three days ago. why pick on this one?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM
J Stone

Agree with keeping separate...weren't we basically kicked out of the memorabilia forum anyway?

While I'd certainly like to see less infighting, it comes with the territory. Kinda funny how people want to see the drama threads die, but yet they go on and on...like a soap opera. You tune in to see how it's going to turn out then the story goes off in another direction.

For my part I will make a better effort to follow through on my threat to post more "old-time" stories...
Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 PM

I've been a member of this and earlier versions of this board for over a decade, and there have been and will be fights and brew ha ha's on the good ol' baseball card section. They tend to be more isolated, but do happen. Perhaps one thing is that since the card side has been in existence for so long, many have grown tired of cat fights.

One thing of note about the card side is, while fakes and forgeries and scams and bad grading are topics, a majority of the threads aren't about those things. Take a look. A majority of the threads about authentic baseball cards people like to look at and discuss. If every Net54 baseball card thread was about a fake, forgery or scam, I'd quit visiting it, because it would be depressing and boring.

Last edited by drc; 05-06-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

ok guys.....it stays. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Jim M.arinari

Does this qualify as a "Feel Good" thread?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Richard Simon

I just saw the thread and was going to post let this forum stay the way it is and I see Leon has already made that decision.
Way to go Leon.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Jeeze Zip why do you always want to start a fight
Zip has been a troublemaker since I met him years ago .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-06-2013, 04:43 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
there is a separate forum for game used 1980-present which last post was three days ago. why pick on this one?
+1
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Lol...Thanks for not letting that die....
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Zip has been a troublemaker since I met him years ago .
You must have me mistaken with someone else.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 PM

If you need someone's argument arbitration services, Scott (Rusnscott) was a bouncer back in Texas.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
Lol...Thanks for not letting that die....
Old 05-08-2013, 07:35 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
ok guys.....it stays. Thanks for the feedback.
Good call! Count me as one more late vote for keeping separate. Easier to navigate the whole forum with more sub categories and will keep fights contained in one area.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Congratulations, Leon!

You proved that it WAS POSSIBLE for everyone on this subforum to agree on something!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
haha. Except for the 'non-autograph' guys using it as a chance to take a shot at autograph collectors, it is sort of 'feel good'.

I personally don't see any reason for anyone who doesn't collect autographs, to have an elitist collector attitude, and feel that their level of drama is more 'correct'.

It's a lot easier to collect a slabbed card with a grade number and a slot in the VCP catalog, etc., without drama, than an autograph. If you don't agree, then you are probably one of the blind zillionaires who buys from AH catalogs based on JSA and PSA tags, and doesn't think this forum is worth reading. Hopefully your buddies are giving you the ego-rub you need when they see your 1990's Babe Ruth ball on your mantle.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
If you need someone's argument arbitration services, Scott (Rusnscott) was a bouncer back in Texas.
Sort of. Basically, I used to start bar fights, then claim to be a bouncer and throw out the other guy.

Leon - thanks for letting this stay as-is.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Scott doing some of his best work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVACVY4DBew
Old 05-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Belltown Vintage

Mike, that was awesome, but my best work was because someone was sitting on the empty Lone Star cases and ignored me when I told him to move. It wouldn't make youtube.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:

I totally agree with Lance on this, FWIW
Old 05-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Eri..c Hu.nt

Is it possible to make a second autograph forum for people that actually want to talk about autographs and can conduct themselves like adults?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 AM
Banned

well, there is a book called autograph hell.