NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Default Gotcha

After reading a few post in the last few minutes. What makes people think that if a tpa says something is real and you dont is a gotcha moment. I think you should be complemented for making up your own mind. There is no gotcha when it comes down to your knowledge and your money.
I think that is why there is more and more discussion on what is or is not authentic. That is a great thing.
If two or three years ago I put up pieces by Barry Halper you what have called iit a gotcha moment. Same goes for Mastro, Bushing Medina and others. The reason this site works is because you are becoming a lot smarter on what you believe is fact vs fiction. Now would this have been a gotcha moment. This a Halper piece. The one in the middle.

ruth-goudey-halper-sothebys-Spence-SGC.jpg

Last edited by shelly; 05-07-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Sean Brennan

Fakes! All fakes! In fact ecery signed goudey is a fake and everyone should not bother bidding me up, I mean bidding at all on signed goudeys! No reason....
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Banned

but it's an open A.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Travis, I respect your opinion when it comes to boxing. That would be as far as I can go.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Disagreeing with a Third Party is fine and perfecty acceptable. Its the intent of the original poster that makes a thread a "gotcha" thread, not the content per say.

If you honestly want an opinion and you post a scan of something with the TPA along with it, you will get more help. People want to help out.

If you PURPOSELY conceal the other opinions on the item hoping to get some drama out of it, thats what people are tired of on here.

Agree or disagree but those with knowledge on here want to help those who genuinely want the help, not feed the drama that is killing this forum!

Rhys
Old 05-07-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Disagreeing with a Third Party is fine and perfecty acceptable. Its the intent of the original poster that makes a thread a "gotcha" thread, not the content per say.

If you honestly want an opinion and you post a scan of something with the TPA along with it, you will get more help. People want to help out.

If you PURPOSELY conceal the other opinions on the item hoping to get some drama out of it, thats what people are tired of on here.

Agree or disagree but those with knowledge on here want to help those who genuinely want the help, not feed the drama that is killing this forum!

Rhys
You nailed it, Rhys.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post

Rhys
Did I not post everything. This was not a gotcha and I think I have almost always posted the full picture and cert. If not then you are correct it was a gotcha. For that I am truly sorry.
I would also say that sometimes it is fun to find out what people think before they are told what someone else thinks of that item. I really believe it helps not to know if a tpa said it is good. It is only there opinion no more no less. If people cant form there own opinion before they are told what someone else thinks. Then the TPA"S do own you. Why is it a gotcha if you dont agree with the gods of the hobby. Maybe there wrong is that even possible for anyone to believe?

Last edited by shelly; 05-07-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Travis, I respect your opinion when it comes to boxing. That would be as far as I can go.
very good, i was just joking, but also making a point that the hard and fast rules about ruth's signature are pretty much worthless because i dont trust the tpa's to know ruth, and i think ruth has jumped the shark a long time ago, with so many exemplars that are bad infecting the exemplar files that a coherent decision on any ruth signature that is not on an official document is a carp shoot and these services might as well flip a coin for the same 50/50 chance.

On HOS we saw Ruth signed cards certed by the big boys abc, xyz and also one on coaches corner, and before i read the thoughts of the author i had thought the CC one was on par with the rest, so what does that tell people?

It tells me that the companies would probably cert it if it came from a trusted source, and not cert it if they were told it came from CC.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-07-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Did I not post everything
No, you did not.
Stop playing your absurd games.
If you want help, you post everything--all pics, where the item can be found, why you are asking, etc., UP FRONT.
You didn't, and you never do.
Then, when you're called out, you put on the innocent act.
It's gettin' old, Shel.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I'm far from an expert, but it looks to me like the slabbed yellow Ruth card itself is a fake. The picture and the red caption bottom line up a little too closely.

Am I wrong?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Banned

people should either have to state all coa's up front, or else they cant reveal what coa is with the item if they choose not to reveal it up front.

otherwise all it serves is to spring the coa on someone later and start a fight.

people have reasons to not comment on an item if they see the coa and dont want to get into a donnybrook regarding an auto. its their right.

i dont think people care which coa is with the item, but if it is hidden, then when it gets sprung on them, a fight ensues because the coa might be from someone who is a friend, and they would rather disagree with that auto in private , not in public. there's lots of reasons. people withhold coa's only to set the trap later on. otherwise why withhold them? if someone says that they withhold the coa in order not to influence people's opinion, then you can do that by withholding the coa, but not giving it out later either.

its a game people are sick of playing, shelly. if you want to criticize an authenticaiton, do it like i do, with the coa out front and evidence in the form of exemplars, etc. and just criticize it and not try to suck in others in a game of GOTCHA!

Last edited by travrosty; 05-08-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
No, you did not.
Stop playing your absurd games.
If you want help, you post everything--all pics, where the item can be found, why you are asking, etc., UP FRONT.
You didn't, and you never do.
Then, when you're called out, you put on the innocent act.
It's gettin' old, Shel.
I think you spend too much time trying to beat up the people who you have lined up in your personal feuds, and not enough time sharing whatever knowledge you might have.

And I'll promise others here not to turn this particular thread into a battle. David, either ignore me or make fun of my lack of expertise and perhaps throw in a few insults. You get the last word (or not), so enjoy.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Also, David, you have collected a lot of Ruth autographs - what is your opinion on the scans Shelly provided?

I have no problem giving my opinion of the last one - it's an obvious forgery, and that opinion has nothing to do with the 'a'.

I also believe that one reason that people here dislike what they call 'gotcha' threads, is that they can't participate without fear of being wrong. This thread is proof of that.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I think you spend too much time trying to beat up the people who you have lined up in your personal feuds, and not enough time sharing whatever knowledge you might have.
Ever hear that old chestnut about the pot and kettle, Scott?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Travis, one more time there is no such thing as gotcha. It is only one person's opinion vs another. I have more respect for certain people on this site vs. the TPA"S but my opinion is mine. If they don't agree that is fine. IT IS NOT GOTCHA.
I would rather you pm me than respond on here.