NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Anthony

Default Auto Opinions

Greetings to all in Net54, I am new to the site but looking at the posts everyone has here it looks like a lot of you are really great people, with great collections, stories, and great knowledge of the hobby. I have been collecting since I was 8 years old in 1996 and collect a little bit of everything but I am an amateur compared to most of you on here. I really would appreciate help on these items I recently picked up. Now they are all certified but I won’t say by whom because I want an unbiased opinion from everyone on here. I bought a Joe Wood signed check, a Joe Medwick cut, a Bob Shawkey signed card, a Hank Aaron and Sadaharu Oh signed baseball, and a Goose Goslin signed HOF postcard (signed on back). I picked them up very cheap, but looking at a couple of them they don’t look right IMO after doing more research after I bought them. The Goslin looks like it might be ghost signed and I know I took a risk on the Aaron and Oh ball. Any input on here would be a great help before I send it to another authenticator and try to get my money back from the folks I bought them from since it was from an auction and they claimed everything was 100% real. Sorry about the picture quality and if someone needs a better picture I will try to provide it Hopefully you guys can see the pics because I had posted this in the wrong area at 1st and Leon told me error messages come up when he clicked on the links although they are fine from my side when I click on them. I am new and trying to get a hang of the site and how it runs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0503141629_0001.jpg (60.9 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg 0503141630_0001.jpg (22.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 0503141631_0001.jpg (27.6 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 0503141633_0001.jpg (28.4 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 0506141812.jpg (43.6 KB, 199 views)
Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I'll go first.
Welcome to the board. Your assessment of the board is pretty much spot on. Lots of really good people who are willing to share their knowledge. My best piece of advice would be to become familiar with the search function. Many many subjects have been discussed already, so you may find the answers to your questions before you even ask.

As far as you items go....
1) Don't care for the Aaron, but it is a bit small, so I'm not certain it's bad. Don't know OH so I can't comment.
2) Wood - good.
3) Medwick - good
4) Shawkey - good
5) Goslin - tough. Some things look good, but looks a little "loose" to me. I'm not sure, but even if it is good, I probably would go for a nicer one.

Good luck collecting,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-09-2014, 10:15 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Is it just me or does it look like the Oh and the Aaron are in the same hand and it doesn't even appear that they tried to make it look any different.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I'll go first.
Welcome to the board. Your assessment of the board is pretty much spot on. Lots of really good people who are willing to share their knowledge. My best piece of advice would be to become familiar with the search function. Many many subjects have been discussed already, so you may find the answers to your questions before you even ask.

As far as you items go....
1) Don't care for the Aaron, but it is a bit small, so I'm not certain it's bad. Don't know OH so I can't comment.
2) Wood - good.
3) Medwick - good
4) Shawkey - good
5) Goslin - tough. Some things look good, but looks a little "loose" to me. I'm not sure, but even if it is good, I probably would go for a nicer one.

Good luck collecting,
Mark
Thank you for the input Mark!! Oh is tuff since I believe it is an auto most collectors don't know about. I only paid $220 for the group of 5 here. The Aaron does scare me too a little. The reason I want to know about the Goose is because he got into the Hall on 1968 (died in 1971) and the last year or so of his life he used a ghost signer which I didnt know til after I bought it, bad job on my part but hey it was only $35, apparently one signed on the front can be worth $3k and one signed on the back can be worth $1,500. he didn't like to sign the front of the HOF postcard,

Last edited by 6-4-3memorabilia; 05-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Is it just me or does it look like the Oh and the Aaron are in the same hand and it doesn't even appear that they tried to make it look any different.
I thought the same thing, even though it is an "o" and "n" for Aaron it does appear to look the same as the "o" and "H" in Oh's name. I might have to bring this up to the auction folks I bought it from. Again I am no expert on autos and should have stayed away from this. live and learn but from the auction I bought it from nothing should have been fake
Old 05-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Pretty sure Goslin was signed by his wife, as mine looks nearly identical (the way the G's start at the beginning of first and last name) is usually a sign of wife signed items. Looking to replace mine.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
Pretty sure Goslin was signed by his wife, as mine looks nearly identical (the way the G's start at the beginning of first and last name) is usually a sign of wife signed items. Looking to replace mine.
Thanks for your thoughts, looks like this Goose was a lame Duck, I don't like the G's as you said either. I really should have done my homework before the auction. However this was again an auction and they said everything was 100% authentic. What are my options really on these because I hate to have bad autos and don't want to pass them off to an unsuspecting buyer. We need a clean hobby
Old 05-09-2014, 10:45 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-4-3memorabilia View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, looks like this Goose was a lame Duck, I don't like the G's as you said either. I really should have done my homework before the auction. However this was again an auction and they said everything was 100% authentic. What are my options really on these because I hate to have bad autos and don't want to pass them off to an unsuspecting buyer. We need a clean hobby
Either return them to the auction house or just throw it away.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Either return them to the auction house or just throw it away.
since you guys confirmed by thoughts the items were certified by Drew Max, I am really kicking myself about this. here is a link from the article about the auction
http://www.northjersey.com/news/sold...08551?page=all

I feel bad for the guy that spent $7,500 on the Gehrig ball, the guy spent around $12k at the auction. I kinda new about Max being a bum so I tried to buy things that I knew would not be forged such as the Wood check and the Shawkey card and I think I have a pretty good felling on Medwicks signature. My bro bought a Harey Carray check so I think that's ok, Goslin I wasn't sure about but it was cheap enough to take a risk but I have no idea why I went for the Aaron/Oh ball.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

It would have been nice is you told us it was uthenticated by Drew Max. Unlike Psa I would have.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
It would have been nice is you told us it was uthenticated by Drew Max. Unlike Psa I would have.
Yeah know hes a joke, I just wanted to get an unbiased opinion on them before you knew who the "Authenticator" was. I am sure even if real autos people would say "Its fake" just because it has Drew Max's name with it
Old 05-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Anthony

I should have known when they expected as they said "1,000 bidders" and it ended up being 30 to 40 people in the room and another 75 online bidding something wasn't right. Live and learn although I kind of want to contact the prosecutors office who held the auction where "Everything was 100% authentic" and tell them what I found out. I should write the newspaper that covered the auction multiple times about the findings. Maybe they will print a follow up. Im going to wait and see if anyone else surfaces about fakes. Im also going to get JSA to look at it so even if rejected I have written proof that will counter Drew Max
Old 05-09-2014, 03:01 PM
J@son.K

Quote:
... I tried to buy things that I knew would not be forged such as the Wood check and the Shawkey card and I think I have a pretty good felling on Medwicks signature.....but I have no idea why I went for the Aaron/Oh ball.
I will also confirm the Wood and Medwick sigs as good.

My advice for the Oh signature is that if you're in the market for Oh, I would always go for his signature signed in kanji (Chinese characters). Those are easier to detect for forgeries. His English only autograph is very easy to duplicate, so I would stay away from those unless you saw it in person.

Prestige collectibles has a great reference of real and fake Oh sigs here:
http://www.prestigecollectibles.com/ohfake.aspx
Old 05-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Default JimStinson

Oh ! THAT auction ...well welcome to the board first of all ..secondly its always a good idea to do your research before you spend your dough. As for getting your money back I would say slim to none and slim is out of town , No matter what the opinion givers have to say. Remember this as you sojourn into the world of autograph collecting. The most expensive autograph you'll ever buy in your life is one that is not authentic

Vintage autographs For Sale Now !
http://stinsonsports.com/autographs-for-sale/
Old 05-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Default JimStinson

and when you venture through the perilous "mine field" known as autograph collecting keep in mind that yes some of the autographs "might" be OK..but just like if you had a nice cool , clean, ice cold glass of water and you drop only one drop of urine in it ...it becomes a glass of urine NOT a glass of water

Vintage autographs for Sale Now !
http://stinsonsports.com/autographs-for-sale/
Old 05-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Here is one of my Goose Goslin cards for comparison. There are no front signed Goslin cards that I have ever seen without problems concerning authenticity. A tru authentic one would be worth 10k plus. As for the back signed, you would be fortunate to find one in the 3k range. I wouldn't sell mine for that price, but you might get lucky and find one eventually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goslin j946 (708x1280).jpg (71.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Anthony

I just feel really bad about the guy that won the Gehrig and Walter Johnson ball, he also won a ticket stub from Babe Ruth "Called Shot" game in the 32 World Series for $1,500. No idea if it was real or not, wasnt slabbed and it was an unused ticket that looked in great condition. No way that was authentic IMO. They also had a Jon M. Ward signed Old Judge card that went for $1k that Max authenticated. No way was that even close to his sig, if that thing was real would have gone for over $10k
2013 Topps Autograph Set: 84/660 12.72% Complete
2014 Topps Heritage W/SP's: 393/500 78.6% Complete
Old 05-09-2014, 05:01 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
I just feel really bad about the guy that won the Gehrig and Walter Johnson ball, he also won a ticket stub from Babe Ruth "Called Shot" game in the 32 World Series for $1,500. No idea if it was real or not, wasnt slabbed and it was an unused ticket that looked in great condition. No way that was authentic IMO. They also had a Jon M. Ward signed Old Judge card that went for $1k that Max authenticated. No way was that even close to his sig, if that thing was real would have gone for over $10k
That's entering Coach's Corner territory. Sky would be the limit if that were real. Way beyond $10K IMO.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
That's entering Coach's Corner territory. Sky would be the limit if that were real. Way beyond $10K IMO.
probably right, being so rare even if one existed I can only imagine the price of it
Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Anthony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VhswbapaBY here is a video prior the auction, What I dont understand is why did the NJ prosecutors office go with Max who is all the way in Vegas as opposed to Spence who is basically right down the street
Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VhswbapaBY here is a video prior the auction, What I dont understand is why did the NJ prosecutors office go with Max who is all the way in Vegas as opposed to Spence who is basically right down the street
What is the difference between Royale with Cheese ? & Quarter Pounder ?

Vincent: Yeah, baby, you'd dig it the most. But you know what the funniest thing about Europe is?

Jules: What?

Vincent: It's the little differences. I mean, they got the same shit over there that we got here, but it's just...it's just, there it's a little different.

Jules: Example?

Vincent: All right. Well, you can walk into a movie theater in Amsterdam and buy a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup; I'm talking about a glass of beer. And in Paris, you can buy a beer at McDonald's. And you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?

Vincent: Nah, man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.

Jules: What do they call it?

Vincent: They call it a "Royale with Cheese."Jules: "Royale with Cheese."Vincent: That's right.Jules: What do they call a Big Mac?

Vincent: A Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it "Le Big Mac.

"Jules: [in mock French accent] "Le Big Mac." [laughs] What do they call a Whopper?

Vincent: I don't know, I didn't go in a Burger Kiing

Vintage autographs for sale daily
stinsonsports.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exactamundo.jpg (11.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 05-10-2014, 04:27 AM

Classic lines from one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies of all times...
Old 05-10-2014, 07:24 AM
Anthony

No idea what movie that is from, I cant even remember the last movie I watched even was, its' been so long
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbaseball View Post
Here is one of my Goose Goslin cards for comparison. There are no front signed Goslin cards that I have ever seen without problems concerning authenticity. A tru authentic one would be worth 10k plus. As for the back signed, you would be fortunate to find one in the 3k range. I wouldn't sell mine for that price, but you might get lucky and find one eventually.
I can only recall one authenticated front signed Goslin postcard that was put up for auction (back in 2008). Not sure what it sold for.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by djson1 View Post
I will also confirm the Wood and Medwick sigs as good.

My advice for the Oh signature is that if you're in the market for Oh, I would always go for his signature signed in kanji (Chinese characters). Those are easier to detect for forgeries. His English only autograph is very easy to duplicate, so I would stay away from those unless you saw it in person.

Prestige collectibles has a great reference of real and fake Oh sigs here:
http://www.prestigecollectibles.com/ohfake.aspx
Wow, looks like PSA even authenticates fake Oh signatures
Old 05-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
No idea what movie that is from, I cant even remember the last movie I watched even was, its' been so long
Quentin Tarantino's movie Pulp Fiction with John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Quentin Tarantino's movie Pulp Fiction with John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson.
I heard of the movie but never seen it, hell I just saw Good Will Hunting for the first time a few months back. I cant sit through a whole movie, I get antsy although I can sit and watch the Mets lose a 4 1/2 hour game as they did last night to the Phillies so go figure

Last edited by 6-4-3memorabilia; 05-10-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:19 PM

Default JimStinson

The quote I posted relates to autographs in general ....
But as for the movie The dialog is classic through out .......the closing scene is among the best I have ever seen in cinema with Samuel L. Jackson explaining his situation in the restaurant...., If you have never seen the movie you really should stop whatever it is you are doing and watch it , Its amazing , scary and funny at the same time ....Hey how about the conversation about "foot massages" in the beginning of the movie between Sam Jackson and Travolta ? Hilarious, Even more hilarious how was Jackson able to ID his wallet from the hundreds in the bag?...Classic....

Vintage autographs for sale daily
stinsonsports.com