NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-06-2017, 07:23 AM
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE's Avatar
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE EYECOLLECTVINTAGE is offline
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 2,366
Default Anyone recommend books for the following?

I am looking to enhance my knowledge further on items such as bats, jerseys, and most importantly...photos.

I was recommended A Complete Reference Guide Louisville Slugger Professional Player Bats, however I can not find it anywhere.

Does anyone have an extra?

What do you guys recommend for photos? Is there a book that has examples and helps learn how to tell between a type 1 and a wire etc.


Also as far as old game used uniforms and equipment, I have purchased the following books...

1)Baseball: An Illustrated History

2) Antique Sports Uniforms & Equipment: Baseball, Football, Basketball 1840-1940 by

3) Game Worn: Baseball Treasures from the Game's Greatest Heroes and Moments



is there anything else you would recommend?

Thanks guys. Looking forward to your opinions/advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-06-2017, 10:55 AM
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE's Avatar
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE EYECOLLECTVINTAGE is offline
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 2,366
Default

I will pay someone if they can scan me

portrait of baseball photography


And the complete reference Louisville slugger guide

Anyone have free time?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2017, 12:08 PM
drcy's Avatar
drcy drcy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,179
Default

Not to toot my own horn, but there is the book 'Judging the Authenticity of Photographs hardcover = photo guide, free pdf version = ebook version.
It's a non-sport book, but a photo is a photo. The only difference between a wire photo of Humphrey Bogart and Joe DiMaggio is the subject. I'm slowly working on a new edition, but that is in the que of projects and won't be done for a couple of years.

Last edited by drcy; 07-06-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2017, 12:22 PM
Bicem's Avatar
Bicem Bicem is offline
Jeff 'Prize-ner'
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 3,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
I will pay someone if they can scan me

portrait of baseball photography

The entire book?
__________________
Love of the Game Auctions
JeffP@loveofthegameauctions.com
Seeking quality consignments!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2017, 12:42 PM
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE's Avatar
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE EYECOLLECTVINTAGE is offline
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 2,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Not to toot my own horn, but there is the book 'Judging the Authenticity of Photographs hardcover = photo guide, free pdf version = ebook version.
It's a non-sport book, but a photo is a photo. The only difference between a wire photo of Humphrey Bogart and Joe DiMaggio is the subject. I'm slowly working on a new edition, but that is in the que of projects and won't be done for a couple of years.
Now that was very nice of you!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2017, 02:07 PM
barrysloate barrysloate is offline
Barry Sloate
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7,595
Default

David also wrote an excellent book called "Collector's Guide to Early Baseball Photography." I was just looking at it the other day. He can tell you how you can find a copy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2017, 02:11 PM
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE's Avatar
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE EYECOLLECTVINTAGE is offline
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 2,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
David also wrote an excellent book called "Collector's Guide to Early Baseball Photography." I was just looking at it the other day. He can tell you how you can find a copy.

Thanks Barry. Any others?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2017, 02:32 PM
barrysloate barrysloate is offline
Barry Sloate
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7,595
Default

Stephen- since I was a 19th century collector, I know mostly books and articles on very early photography. I'm not an expert on 20th century type 1's and 2's. Some of the ones I used to use for reference, such as Mark Rucker's Baseball Cartes, are long out of print. If I can think of any others that are still available, I will post them here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2017, 03:17 PM
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE's Avatar
EYECOLLECTVINTAGE EYECOLLECTVINTAGE is offline
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 2,366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Stephen- since I was a 19th century collector, I know mostly books and articles on very early photography. I'm not an expert on 20th century type 1's and 2's. Some of the ones I used to use for reference, such as Mark Rucker's Baseball Cartes, are long out of print. If I can think of any others that are still available, I will post them here.
Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can anyone recommend the best way to repair a cracked bat? Scott Garner Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 8 03-09-2017 06:14 PM
Recommend some new movies RichardSimon WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics 2 08-28-2016 08:45 PM
Card collecting reference books? Which do you own and recommend? OldEnglishD Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 16 07-22-2015 01:33 PM
Recommend Shop in NJ? Ericc22 Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 3 12-19-2011 07:32 AM
Which DiMaggio and Ted Williams Bio Books do you recommend? thekingofclout Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 11 02-10-2011 04:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.


ebay GSB