NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2017, 11:11 PM

Default National trading, bring it or not

As I get ready for the National, I wonder if I should bring anything that might be of interest to others.
I'm looking for: Cracker Jacks, 1933 Geo. C. Miller, 1938 Goudey, R326 Flip movies, 1958 Hires Test, 1968 Topps 3D, tough LA Dodger regionals, oddball 1930's cards.
I have dups in most of the above sets as well as an M101-2 J. Jackson, M116 Cobb (blue), Plow Boy Kling, butterfingers, 1930 Blue Ribbon Malt Cubs/White Sox (with backing) and others.
I don't want to lug a bunch of stuff around just in case. So I won't bring anything if nobody responds. Looking to set up some possible trades in person at show, not a BST thing on Net 54 main page. Look forward to seeing everyone.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:20 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default trade

Back in the day.... many big shows would set aside a few large tables for traders..unfortunately sometimes those tables became " plopping grounds " for sweaty overweight collectors who sat there and drank their Mountain Dew with soggy French fry's
Old 07-22-2017, 05:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
Back in the day.... many big shows would set aside a few large tables for traders..unfortunately sometimes those tables became " plopping grounds " for sweaty overweight collectors who sat there and drank their Mountain Dew with soggy French fry's
Sweaty overweight collectors plopping down.... Yummy!!

I don't see a lot of trading going on at the National but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I bet a lot, if not most, dealers would listen to a trade deal. I would but I haven't seen a lot of collectors doing it.

Last edited by Leon; 07-22-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:01 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've tried. Most are too busy to entertain a trade, but I'm sure they would for a nice iconic card. That being said, I've always found it tough to play "low book for yours, High book for mine" when looking at their prices. They usually check sold prices on your card, but not on their own! I'd bring a couple you think would be the best trade bait, but not too much, as it gets tough to carry all your trade items and new pick ups.

Let us know how it goes

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-22-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I've tried. Most are too busy to entertain a trade, but I'm sure they would for a nice iconic card. That being said, I've always found it tough to play "low book for yours, High book for mine" when looking at their prices. They usually check sold prices on your card, but not on their own! I'd bring a couple you think would be the best trade bait, but not too much, as it gets tough to carry all your trade items and new pick ups.

Let us know how it goes
Their tables aren't free. They are there to make a profit, not give you full price for your cards against theirs. At the 2015 National, I was able to trade my extra t205s for ones I needed. I thought it was a very fair deal considering his expenses. I also bought more cards from him because he was easy to deal with.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:36 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Trading

I normally bring some cards to sell to the dealers. It seems that on Thursday, the place is packed and it can be difficult to get close to a table to look at cards, so many of the dealers are too busy too busy to trade or to look at customers cards that are for sale. I remember that when I went to Chicago a couple of years ago, there were a few tables that were packed all day long, and I went back to those tables several times, but I couldn't get close enough to check out their cards. However, on Friday, the crowd was much thinner, I could access all of the tables, and the dealers had more time on their hands to look at collections.

I haven't been there on the weekends, but I would guess that Saturday is busy and Sunday it would be easier to approach the dealers.

If you are working on a trade, be prepared to be interrupted several times so the dealer can take care of his customers who want to make a purchase.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:36 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecRich View Post
As I get ready for the National, I wonder if I should bring anything that might be of interest to others.
I'm looking for: Cracker Jacks, 1933 Geo. C. Miller, 1938 Goudey, R326 Flip movies, 1958 Hires Test, 1968 Topps 3D, tough LA Dodger regionals, oddball 1930's cards.
I have dups in most of the above sets as well as an M101-2 J. Jackson, M116 Cobb (blue), Plow Boy Kling, butterfingers, 1930 Blue Ribbon Malt Cubs/White Sox (with backing) and others.
I don't want to lug a bunch of stuff around just in case. So I won't bring anything if nobody responds. Looking to set up some possible trades in person at show, not a BST thing on Net 54 main page. Look forward to seeing everyone.
Rich, I do have Cracker Jacks and I will take trade at times, but needless to say, I have to get a edge due to costs, etc. I have around 50 CJ's. Stop by my booth 954. Thanks, Don
Old 07-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Ken McMillan

I am taking about 8 duplicate graded T205 cards to hopefully offer 2 of my cards for 1 I am looking for. Also considering taking my W 572 collection and seeing if I can move it for something high end. It is in a binder so easy to carry.

Last edited by kmac32; 07-22-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default trades

I am primarily a collector, not a full-time dealer, and as such would be interested in trading as long as it helped my own collection. So I would say, bring stuff, and bring it by Table 447. It certainly can't hurt to ask-

As far as when to look for trades, the least busy times are probably the last two hours of the day.

Tim
Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
I am primarily a collector, not a full-time dealer, and as such would be interested in trading as long as it helped my own collection. So I would say, bring stuff, and bring it by Table 447. It certainly can't hurt to ask-

As far as when to look for trades, the least busy times are probably the last two hours of the day.

Tim
I am setting up with Tim and I too would welcome discussing trades with anyone who stops by. I made a couple of trades last year with people who came to our table. If you make a fair offer for both sides, it can definitely happen.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972

Last edited by the-illini; 07-22-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I trade every year. One great way to do it is to go into the cafeteria just off the show floor and grab a booth. Just don't eat any of their swill...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-23-2017, 05:49 AM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default National

Will they have mountain dew and soggy fries available ?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
Will they have mountain dew and soggy fries available ?
that and lots of sweaty, fat collectors Can't wait....
Old 07-23-2017, 07:17 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I hope the fries aren't soggy from the sweat. LOL
Old 07-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: National trading, bring it or not

I don't mind trading to change my inventory around, but it's often difficult when the customer is asking for full retail or more. As others have mentioned, it's tough to crack a $4K nut by trading book for book.