NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-01-2009, 05:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default 1st May Pickups Thread

With the "wealth" of auctions that just ended (or are ending soon) I thought I would start a May Pickups thread. Should generate lots of great posts...

I'll start with an item I didn't expect to get. Placed a very early bid on Day 1, and thankfully it held up. Two extremely rare and top-tier Pennants hit the auction blocks this week. The best is in REA (1922 Giants) and this one was a close 2nd, in Mears. With the REA Pennant now at $2,500 (and climbing) I'm out of the picture. So I am thrilled to have nailed this one down.

Seems like premium pennants are drying up. REA has just the one, and Legendary and Heritage had none this time around... I cannot ever recall so few pennants being offered via these catalogues. Also, a warning for Mike H... Don't look!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cubs29.jpg (88.3 KB, 341 views)
Old 05-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Mike H.

Well done my friend! I was drooling over that one the past two weeks. I'm very pleased you won it...now I know where it is (evil laugh...haaa haaa).
Old 05-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Steven Finley

Thanks to Jodi for this amazing Tommy Bridges letter. It's dated Nov. 29 1929 so it was written just before his first season with the Tigers. It was sent to and came from the collection of Billy Doyle, a Tigers' scout, and it is worth mentioning that Bridges inquired to know if the new management remember the $500 bonus the old management promised if he advanced to the club that season. Today's players are so pampered. Thanks again Jodi!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't post page 2. Hiding it from Copycats.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:53 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa2.jpg (93.0 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg bwj 002.jpg (56.5 KB, 303 views)
Old 05-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Shawn England

Default Omaha, Nebraska UPRR Baseball Book

Some Pick-Ups

Dated: 1900 Omaha, Nebraska UPRR Baseball Book

Large Cabinet Photo... I know nothing of the team?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Matt

Picked this up in REA last night. Anyone here get the Joe Jackson bat?
Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Clint

Picked this up earlier in the week. It a 1989 Warren Newson Wichita Wranglers jersey. If I could only find an 89 Wranglers #9 jersey to go with it.

Clint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5000793.jpg (85.3 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg S5000795.jpg (90.1 KB, 274 views)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

Clint,

Warren and I were roommates on the road for part of the season. Great guy. Very quiet but with a sly sense of humor. Great power the other way. He rarely pulled the ball in the air but hit the crap out of it to left and left-center. I was really happy for him when he made the big leagues. I think I remember reading, when he was with the Rangers, that he had a young daughter at the time who was breaking into TV and some work in movies.

(Btw, my wife wore No. 9 to her Halloween party at work last year. Everyone thought it was cool that she had gone out and had a jersey made with her name on the back, but they wanted to know why she had "Wichita" sewn on the front.)
Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Romeo Lombardi

Default Wright & Ditson Bat

Picked up this bat a a local yard sale even thought not in that great of shape was wondering what you gentlemen thought of it's worth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1212.jpg (94.4 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1216.jpg (105.7 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1220.jpg (101.9 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1219.jpg (96.4 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1211.jpg (100.8 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Matt

The W&D bat is nice... I'd say its a $60-75 bat.
Matt
Old 05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Dan Bretta

Joann, I agree with Mark that I think the first photo is circa 1900...and probably late 1890s. Great pickup!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Brock

This Spalding dozen baseball box arrived today. Aside from a little tape in the corner its in very good shape. Not normally the type thing I go for, but only paid $40 which seemed like a real bargain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !BRmhMy!B2k~$(KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmZ5C3BJ-3ckGhgQ~~_1.jpg (15.0 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by BrockJacob; 05-13-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default Mark VL

You folks keep on coming up with wonderful stuff. Zebra Ring bat, neat.

I already posted this new bat on the REA winners thread, but since I now have it in my hands I thought I run it out there again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pie traynor half_edited.jpg (28.1 KB, 271 views)
Old 05-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Default Par Golf Tin Pick Up

I've picked up quite a few new things lately, hope to post more when get time, but here's one I got a week ago. I went to the 49er Old West Antiques Show in Grass Valley Calif. Why go to an old west show? I learned a long time ago they are usually high quality and anything can show up....I once got an executioner football helmet by going to one!!!!...but that's another story...anyway...I spotted this Par After Shave Powder tin and it caught me off guard...I had to stop and think what it was and remembered it was the same image I have on a sign....so I sort of HAD to buy it...but darn they had it jacked up to $575.00. I looked it over and tried to develop some strategy to counter offer...or even if I really wanted it....I didn't start the wrestling match right then...I figured it wasn't going to run out of there for that much...so cruised the rest of the show....didn't find anything that cleaned me out....so started thinking thru what I would do....talked it over with antique advertising dealer friend Kim Kokles who was set up....he said try to get them down, and offer $450.00....I hit um at $400.00...the gal played the let me ask my husband card....she came back with a $450.00 whine they hated to let it go that cheap.....I said I'd split it for $425...she said they couldn't..but I knew they could....I politely asked her to recheck and I'd be back....of course they took it...who knows if I got a deal or not...a bargain's a state of mind....I'm not use to buying mint condition tins because they are always so expensive....I remember seeing a mint talcum tin sell at a show for $800.00 once, right in front of me, about 12 years ago, that had a gal golfer...so maybe I got a deal. When I got home I realized the sign is for the "lotion" and the tin is for the "Powder"...but what the hey it's the same company and image...I thought about selling it on eBay because of that but a week later and no way would I sell it.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Ricky Anderson

Picked up this 1909 picture. Great look. Measures 16" x 20".
Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 AM

Default What City?

Ricky, That's one of the nicest photo collages I've seen, for a city league anyway...but I can't make out the shield...what city is it for? Those graphics of the crossed bats and the two flanking balls are killer. The bats look remarkably older than 1909...and it's nice and big, 16x20. What's the story on how you came into it? -Carlton

Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Ricky Anderson

The photo was an Ebay win from Canada. The shield reads Ottawa city championship. Canadian club I will assume. Really liked the look, (The crossed bats, figure 8 looking balls, collared unis with collars up) but glass broke in shipping. No harm to the picture, but wasn't thrilled about the glass. Seller gave a partial refund which made me feel a little better. Nice photo.