NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-20-2016, 07:12 PM

Default Cobb and Ruth Newspapers

Here are a couple neat items that have been tucked away for years. The Cobb is in great shape from a 1909 Sports Page - looks like complete sports page. And the Ruth is from 1917 when pitching for the Red Sox - has a few tears around edges of sports page, but still very presentable. Any idea as to value and rarity? Thanks, Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010503.jpg (75.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg P1010504.jpg (73.8 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg P1010505.jpg (76.0 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg P1010506.jpg (73.0 KB, 181 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 03:14 PM

Default Found some info

I found a dealer, Timothy Hughes, who specializes in rare and early newspapers. He has listed a few newspapers from 1914-1919 that have text only about Ruth - and is asking about $140. each for them. He has nothing even close to the picture on the paper I have from 1917.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
I found a dealer, Timothy Hughes, who specializes in rare and early newspapers. He has listed a few newspapers from 1914-1919 that have text only about Ruth - and is asking about $140. each for them. He has nothing even close to the picture on the paper I have from 1917.
Asking price doesn't always correlate to selling price. I like newsprint and your items have excellent eye appeal and subject matter for what they are; but unfortunately many consider newsprint to be on or near the low end of the collectible family of printed tems - with programs, tickets, photos, posters/broadsides, cards, tobacco and gum cards all being more collectable and thus, more valuable. I think that $100-200 for each of these would be a reasonable price range.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 02-22-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Here are a couple neat items that have been tucked away for years. The Cobb is in great shape from a 1909 Sports Page - looks like complete sports page. And the Ruth is from 1917 when pitching for the Red Sox - has a few tears around edges of sports page, but still very presentable. Any idea as to value and rarity? Thanks, Steve.
Beautiful papers. Good Luck on your selling!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:59 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Asking price doesn't always correlate to selling price. I like newsprint and your items have excellent eye appeal and subject matter for what they are; but unfortunately many consider newsprint to be on or near the low end of the collectible family of printed tems - with programs, tickets, photos, posters/broadsides, cards, tobacco and gum cards all being more collectable and thus, more valuable. I think that $100-200 for each of these would be a reasonable price range.
Strongly agree with this. I've had a bunch that are on par with yours, and ended up literally giving them away. Vintage Newspapers are simply an incredibly difficult sell. Just not much demand, despite the great content and visual appeal. I think you'd do very well to get $75 for the Cobb and about the same for the Ruth. Just my .02, after repeated disappointing results.

Last edited by perezfan; 02-22-2016 at 06:03 PM.