NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default Buyer Beware

Posted By: Mark Burke

I would not be surprised if this topic has not been covered before so I apologize for the potential redundancy.

There is a seller on ebay, jojosportsheaven, (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjojosportsheaven) who sells trimmed cards. I tried to shut this guy down by contacting ebay. They temporarily removed his auctions but now they are back. He has added the words, "well restored" to his auctions now which means "doctored" to the educated buyer but probably has no meaning to a good number of ebay buyers. So, I asked my company's attorney whether this seller has violated any laws. Here's what he said:

"It would be fraud if use of “well restored” does not put the burden on the buyer to view the card before purchasing. In other words, does use of “restored” create a “buyer beware” situation where the onus shifts to the buyer, or does use of “restored” not shift burden for something like trimming such that the seller should have disclosed it."

So, the conclusion is "it all comes down to whether the use of “restored” creates a buyer beware situation under law, such that the buyer buys at his own risk if he does not inspect first". In this case, "the Seller made the disclaimer that the condition is only his opinion, and there were no guarantees". In addition, using the words "well restored" even though it does not specifically state or even imply the cards are trimmed, essentially covers the guys legal exposure. So, it appears that the wording in the auction has created a "buyer beware" situation which would eliminate the fraud charge.

So, a cleverly worded product description is all you need to skirt the law and rip people off on ebay. That is very concerning to me because there are a lot of new collectors who must get burned, and subsequently turned off to this great hobby.

I am wondering if anyone here has ever heard of a lawsuit related to this matter and what the results were.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Default Buyer Beware

Posted By: Jason Silvey

Mark,

This seller also says in their return policy, "Ungraded cards are not guaranteed to grade by third party grading companies due to alterations of any kind." I would think this along with the negative feedback he's received in regards to trimmed cards would raise enough red flags with most collectors. While I agree that he is trying to deceive buyers, it is the buyer's responsibility to at least read the description and check feedback before bidding.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Default Buyer Beware

Posted By: Iggy....

Yes, I would agree that reading his description and seeing his cards just give out "bad vibes." Plus, I think most of us understand about "buyers responsibility" and all that other stuff about "caveat emptor"...

However, the core of the problem is what happens to the cards after they are sold. If the restoration or reprint is done badly, then no problem, we are still be covered under caveat emptor.

But, in this case, at least in a scan, the restoration looks real good. Subsequently, sooner or later, these "restored" cards will show-up either on ebay again, an auction house near you, or your favorite dealer's table. But this time, in all probability it won't have that mumbo-jumbo about restoration...

-Lovely Day, Iggy...

Old 12-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Default Buyer Beware

Posted By: Mike Mccullough

This seller is definitely shady. Take notice that in his feedback all of his selling transactions the item #s are private and are the opposite on his buying feedback. I would wager he targets specific cards for purchase, alters, then relists these cards altered/ enhanced/ restored... What a piece of work, this guy is!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Default Buyer Beware

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I like it when people give heads up on sellers that are bad but does this guy sell pre- WWII cards? There is an appropriate board for anything earlier and those people would be happy to see this. If he does sell pre-WWII cards thanks but I have never ran across the seller in my 7 years on ebay.

Lee