NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Justin

Managed to pick up a bunch of T206s. Worked on HOFers mostly, and I'm now only 5 away from the HOF set. Special thanks to Bill Latzko for putting a big dent in my want list. Also got Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Cal Ripken, Jim Brown and Jackie Slater to sign some RCs. The Howe might be my favorite pick up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShaughnessyT206.jpg (34.0 KB, 758 views)
File Type: jpg McGrawCapT206.jpg (29.2 KB, 753 views)
File Type: jpg EversCubsT206.jpg (30.3 KB, 753 views)
File Type: jpg HoweAuto.jpg (50.7 KB, 758 views)
Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Tom Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Sorry. Here are the photos
I sold that card at the National.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Tom Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR View Post
The lunch box find of close to (300) tobacco cards - (170) T207s including Johnson and (25-30) HOFers, (100) T206s including Cobb, (2) Cy Young, (7-10) SLers, (20 or so HOFers), E93 Cobb (super low grade), a handful of T205s and T210s ranging for Good - VG+ with some higher and some worse. The collection had been untouched for close to 75 years. All the T207s were Recruit so could determine the original preference of the smoker. I call this the lunch box find because Larry carried them into the show in a circa 1960s red lunch box in a few plastic sandwich baggies. Larry told me, before he arrived, the rubber bands were removed because he felt people would not like that...so of course I thanked him! Congrats to the person that managed to score the M131 Newsboy group of 6 or so cards (price withheld to avoid outing the other lucky collector / dealer). Since I did not initially accurately value the M131s (I am mainly a vintage non sports collector / dealer), having them not included actually really helped me secure the remainder of the collection. I lucked out having the 2nd table as you entered the National. My buying sign and/or inventory must have resonated. After playing things straight and cool on Sat, the collector walked away to shop them around, despite my best attempts so stopped raising my offers. I was beyond bummed out and figured it was the deal that escaped me and nice guys finish last. Larry mentioned he might come back the next day but likely not...rrrgghhh. I only asked for the final opportunity to accept or reject the price, when he determined what it would take. Amazingly, he showed up early at 8:00 today and arrived at my table (using the loaned dealer pass) and was willing to sell them for price that made sense to both of us. He purchased the entire collection for $1,000 in a local estate sale. Larry is a nice, gentle, simple but interesting older gentleman that traces his roots back to the early to mid 1700s in Virginia. His family reunions on their original homestead (300+ acres in the Virginia hills) attracts 2,000 family members each year. He told me the oil mining royalties pays all the taxes and some other interesting stories. I just wanted to post some images and share my excitement. To top it off, today is my Birthday and could not have asked for a better gift on the last day of the National. I made other pickups for my collection and inventory but they are not baseball related. Thanks for sharing in my excitement!
I am the collector who now owns the M131 Baltimore Newsboys. There were 9 Newsboys and 5 Briggs cards that I bought from Larry. All are now graded by SGC. I didn't end-up winning the lot you won because I graded and valued the lot much lower than you did here according to Larry who told me what you paid. The T207's were G to VG but the T206 were mostly Poor to Good. That said, I was happy Larry was happy because he was a very nice older gentleman.

Well done DJR. I wish I had a few of those T207s!

Tom

Last edited by GoSoxBoSox; 08-10-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Daryl

I was disappointed that I couldn't find a T206 Neal Ball New York in PSA 4, but was able to get the others I wanted.

National 2010 038.jpg

National 2010 037.jpg

National 2010 036.jpg

National 2010 035.jpg
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Johnny S

My big scores from Charm City !!!!!!!!!!

M116 ad cut outs

T3

Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Most of my bankroll went towards picking up over half of the cards needed to complete my '58 Topps set. I added 82 cards and am down to about 70 to complete it including the variations.

After that I dropped a grand on Ripken autographs for my son and I. Cal never disappoints, and I got autographs with inscirptions on the four printing plates used to produce the cover of the of Feb/March 2007 Beckett Baseball Card Plus cover honoring his election to The Hall of Fame.

My sole prewar purchase was from The Sporting News Collection, because the Red Rolfe image below just seemed too great to pass up. That collection was amazing and thumbing through the photos was a great way to spend some time at The National even if you didn't buy any.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Jimmy M

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
My sole prewar purchase was from The Sporting News Collection, because the Red Rolfe image below just seemed too great to pass up. That collection was amazing and thumbing through the photos was a great way to spend some time at The National even if you didn't buy any.
Nice choice on the Rolfe photo.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Jimmy M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
Two items I picked up (below):

The Matty is the same image used in the Aug 5, 1909 M101-2 Supplement, but doesn't have the "Supplement to the Sporting News" caption at the top, but does have a caption along the bottom. If you were to take off the caption at the bottom, it'd be the same exact size as the Matty M101-2. I got this from Bagger77.

The Schulte is similar, but I don't think they are from the same "series". Not only is the Schulte image different from its M101-2 counterpart, but its also printed on a thicker paper stock. The gentleman I bought it from also had a Wagner (batting action pose similar to one I've seen on a postcard) and a Collins, and another common that I saw someone buy. He said when he got them they were strung together at the top, thus the hole at the top.

One quick little story ... a run-down setup was asking 10x going price for some M101-2 Supplements. $170 for a common in average condition. I offered $20 for it. He laughed and said something to the effect that he'd pay me $50 to let him keep it, and the lady (his wife?) kackled and said she wanted to meet my grade school math teacher so she could slap her. I smiled, told them to have a nice day and walked away.

Rob
I didn't go to the National, but that deal with the M101-2 Supplements sounds like the same person I saw at a previous show. I saw the prices and started laughing to myself...didn't even bother asking for a lower price.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Archive

Default Here are some highlights

For me, the National was great this year. I had a wonderful time. Bought a few cards and even sold a few. It was also nice meeting more board members and talking with them. Here are a few things that I picked up. The photos are of Shag Shaughnessy (on the horse) along with a few T206s.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 02-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Mark Rios

Jantz,

Incredible photo of Shag in unifrom!!!!!

Mark
Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 08:21 PM.