NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default Looking for help for 2010 Standard Catalog

Posted By: Don Fluckinger

All right, we're collecting input from the hobby for pricing in the 2010 catalog.

Three main points:

1) Post here: What do YOU think should happen to pricing, considering the economic woes going on right now? I am interested in hearing what you have to say in the comments section...we are thinking long and hard about exactly what will happen in the Standard Catalog, and as you can imagine making an annual guide is difficult because things are so [bleeping] volatile. We probably won't take any one suggestion and run with it, so don't be offended if we don't do exactly what you suggest. But if someone has a market snapshot or a general observation ("Tobacco cards are off 30% and I'm not even buying because I am sure they'll go lower" or "Everything else is down, but tobacco cards are up a little, IMHO") that is very helpful in building a composite picture of the hobby market.

2) Email me: Everyone who contributed input last year will be getting pages this year, too--except on CD and not printed to paper, as we slowly head into the digital age. IF you're interested in contributing updated pricing for a set or two of cards in which you have some expertise, post here or email me back-channel and give me your name, mailing address, email, phone number (in case I or my editor peers have followup questions) and what sets you want to provide input on.

We're looking for pre-WWI, especially old judge input.

If you provide pricing data, you will get a free copy of the catalog.

3) Email me: A lot of you have been emailing me with extra finds and things to list in the 2010 catalog (unlisted items you've bought or spotted on eBay) and I appreciate that so much. If anyone's been sitting on a find you were planning to email me about, do it soon so I can get it in the 2010 book. Production on such a huge book takes so long...and it comes out in the fall...so the deadline is approaching for me to collect all I have and turn it in to Krause/F+W.

-------
Thanks for all your help, Forum 54 folks. We're in our 3rd year of this system of opening up to people who post here, and for the most part I am impressed & pleased with the quality--and conscientiousness--of everyone who has participated.

--Don Fluckinger

Don Fluckinger
Editor, SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball CArds
Columnist, Online Auctioneer
http://standardcatalog.wordpress.com

Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Will the long lusted after idea (on this forum) of having seperate catalogs for vintage (preWW2) and modern (post WW2) ever likely happen?

And if not, why?

Thanks for your time.

Daniel

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Not enough people to buy just the vintage catalog. I think pricing is meaningless and that the 2 online services should be used - Bobby's and Ted's.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Dan, to be honest I would just appreciate having the abridged vintage version as a reference and not having to heft the ridiculously large current version....
You could include greater issue write ups and pics. It would be a wonderful addition to the hobby.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

oh I am on your side 100%, I am just stating why it will never happen. We addressed this years ago and Bob Lemeke made a good point, there is only so many of us pre-war guys. Dan.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Don, email sent on a minor league issue that is currently uncataloged.

and as far as having separate catalogs for vintage and new that has been an ongoing issue for us Net54ers for a long time. The solution is to tear out the new and then tape the back cover back on. Very easy to do.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Don Fluckinger

...but the choice isn't mine.

The thing is, the overhead in creating a book plus the marketing/production/shipping/distribution is probably more than the pool of vintage collectors can support. And that would have been during the boom economy. Now that it's bust...you know the rest. Disposable income ain't what it used to be.

Believe you me, I would love to sign up for that project and do the writeups, features, spotlights on beloved cards, and the like. In color, of course, with spot-varnished pages worthy of the items pictured.

If I win the lotto, I just might give back such a thing to the hobby that has given me so many good times and led me to so many excellent people...in the meantime, I will voice your desire to the brain trust at F+W (some of whom are reading this already) and see what happens.

Don Fluckinger

Editor, SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball CArds

Columnist, Online Auctioneer

http://standardcatalog.wordpress.com>

Old 01-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I've done it before...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Don,
I will get (email) you data on t205s as well...just so everyone knows a quicky analysis shows that prices have dropped slightly on t205s in most grades under vg-ex but remained steady on everything above that.

Joshua