NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Shawn England

Default What is Your Thoughts on This? "Base Ball Inverted Mantle"

I picked up this strange little container... Love the graphics, but am wondering what the connection with baseball is? My Thoughts: Perhaps used for lighting a baseball field? Maybe this is obivious and you guys already know all about these? I cannot find any record of another though.

I have found information on the "Frankel Light Co." as early as 1913 and as late as the 1930s. I still need to do more research.

Do you think it is legit?
Any guesses as to the date of the container?

Would love to here your thoughts!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Jon Canfield

Is the baseball part a label put onto the cylinder? Maybe I am being synical but I wonder if it was a created piece. Regardless, it still looks really cool and I hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Shawn England

Jon,

I do not have it in hand yet, but it could be a created piece? The Frankel Light Company did exist though and they did sell Mantels, Lamps and various other items that had to do with lighting...

While researching I did find some information about a city that was starting a night game series and it made mention of gas lighting and inverted mantles?

Perhaps I will have a better feel when I get it in hand.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Shawn England

Default This Certainly Makes Me Feel Better

Just found this one on Ebay, looks like these type of mantles came in cylinder containers back then...

Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Jon Canfield

Shawn,

I have no idea but I think it looks cool regardless. I just questioned whether an original container had a creation pasted over it to tie it to baseball. It was just an observation and I sure hope I'm wrong. Where is Carlton?!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Shawn England

Hey Jon,

I am with you on this... I hope I can tell one way or another once I get it in hand. And like you, I hope it is legit as well.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Dan Bretta

I think it's legit....I took a look on ebay and there are no red flags...the seller is legit and doesn't sell repro type and they wouldn't have placed such a low BIN if they were trying to screw someone on it.

Nicely done I think you got a real steal.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:03 AM
Shawn England

Thanks Dan,

I felt good about the seller, but sometimes good sellers do not know what they have. My biggest concern was that I had simply never seen one before. Dan, have you ever seen anything like it? I have been trying to find anything promoting lighting for ball fields to no avail.

I have read now that these Inverted Mantles were good for directing light downward or even at an angle. It would make sense perhaps to promote the use of these for baseball fields. Does anyone know when gas lighting for ball fields first started?
Old 06-25-2009, 07:16 AM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

From the address I found for Frankel Light CO and League Park in Cleveland, Ohio, it looks like they were two mile from each other.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Clev...082&2v=ADDRESS

http://books.google.com/books?id=pf5...esult&resnum=1
Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 AM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

From Wikipedia; "Lights were never installed at League Park, and thus night games were not regularly played there. However, at least one night game was played on July 27th, 1931, between the Homestead Grays and the House of David -- who borrowed the portable lighting system used by the Kansas City Monarchs. For 1947, under the ownership of Bill Veeck, the Indians moved to Cleveland Stadium full-time. League Park became the last stadium used in Major League Baseball never to install permanent lights."
Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Shawn England

Wow Randall! I did not even think of that... Thanks

Here is a pic of what apparently came the the tubes... One hell of a Mantle!
These particular ones were patented on Oct. 9, 1900

Note: It is amazing where collecting vintage baseball can take you.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Shawn England

Default For Randall "Playing Base Ball at Night"

Randall,

I found this article in the 1909 Popular Electricity magazine, "Playing Base Ball at Night". The article is talking about lighting a ball field in Cincinnati. While this article is talking about electricity and not gas, I find it quite contradictory to everything thing else I have been reading. Everything I have read (so far) talks about "electric lighting" for ball fields at a much later date?

Anyway I thought you might be interested in the article and that you might be able to Identify the players and field???

Old 06-25-2009, 09:00 PM

Default Crosley Field

Smokelessjoe,

The field in your pics is Crosley/Palace of the Fans (home of the Reds). The middle pic shows the facade from the Palace of the Fans. Great piece!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Shawn England

Default Night Games??

Hal,

Thank you for the info!

I have read that the first Night Major League game was May 24, 1935 at Crosley Field, but it seems that since they installed lights in 1909 there would have been games played much earlier????
Old 06-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Default Palace of the Fans - Not Crosley

You are correct the photo is of the Palace of the Fans, but it burned down and was replaced by Redland Field (later named Crosley) in 1912. While we're on the topic of night baseball in Cincinnati, in 1931 the Dayton Shroyers amateur team had to substitute for the House of David for the re-introduction of night baseball in Cincinnati using the House of David lighting equipment at Redland Field against the Reds. The substitution was necessary since the House of David team had too many outlawed players for an exhibition game against an organized major league team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1907 Red Belts 08.jpg (20.4 KB, 41 views)